cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get outlet/power strip next to bed???

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, unfortunately since I have Sleep Apnea, I have to carry my CPAP machine around everywhere I go. I could not bring it camping, but the wife doesn't like it when I snore or when I stop breathing for an extended period of time. :E

With that said, she doesn't want to give up her side of the bed that has the power outlet next to the head of the bed that I would use to power the CPAP.

So, I need to figure out the best way to run an extension cord or power strip from the wall at the foot of the bed to the head of the bed. I am looking for something that is low profile and won't cause a tripping hazard.

I will post pictures for perspective in a bit. Any practical advice or experience would be appreciated.

dh

Click For Full-Size Image.

41 REPLIES 41

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Use a 16G extension cord across the head of the bed, under the mattress. Keep it simple. Mine runs on 12V, so I have a 12 outlet installed on my side of the bed frame.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

exintrunk
Explorer
Explorer
running an electrical cord under the mattress is a bad idea and possibly a fire hazard if it wears a bit.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use One like this to make a long run to where I need it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
rbrand wrote:
Have you considered switching sides of the bed. It is supposed to be good for you. My wife & I switch sides, twice a year, when time changes

Yeah, one would think that would be the simple answer. Unfortunately, for me, the spouse is way more complex.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
How about something like This

I would need something with a longer cord. Thanks for the suggestion though.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered switching sides of the bed. It is supposed to be good for you. My wife & I switch sides, twice a year, when time changes
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about something like This
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
running a cord under the mattress would seem like a good idea but according to an old electrician friend of mine it not a good idea. he told me many years ago that the cord must have a way to cool it self, and running a cord under some thing such as your mattress will keep that cord from staying cool and may over heat. are you willing to take that chance. my self I would run the cord around the top edge of the bed base and put in those little plastic cord holders. it would be able to breath and be up off the floor so you can't trip on it

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Just to add to the confusion, the newer CPAPs are no longer 12v as far as I know. I did a test run on one last year, it was 24v. I inquired. They said they were all going that way.

You were given BAD information.
I got a 12 V one about 6 months ago.....but I had to ASK for it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
I just need a good temporary solution for the time being.

Does your slide switch have an associated key-lock safety ??

If so, attach the key firmly to the extension cord......so that it must be unplugged to get the key in the lock.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:
Links to pictures are in my original post.
The camper is a:
2013 CrossRoads Zinger ZT39DB (Destination Trailer)

A floor plan would better illustrate the issue you're dealing with and therefore possible solutions. 😉

Click For Full-Size Image.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
The camper is a:

A floor plan would better illustrate the issue you're dealing with and therefore possible solutions. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to the confusion, the newer CPAPs are no longer 12v as far as I know. I did a test run on one last year, it was 24v. I inquired. They said they were all going that way.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:
When I can upload the pictures, it will make more sense.

In the meantime wouldn't it be simpler to just tell us the make / model / year of trailer you have?

The camper is a:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
When I can upload the pictures, it will make more sense.

In the meantime wouldn't it be simpler to just tell us the make / model / year of trailer you have?
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380