cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best?

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at everything I can find in the 20-25' range, with at least one slide. From what I can see, it appears that the Forest River Surveyor Cadet, the Winnebago Minnie, and the Keystone Bullet are pretty evenly matched in terms of quality of design and workmanship. Does anyone have an opinion (!) on any of these, pro or con?
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost
21 REPLIES 21

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Margret,
Our last trailer was a 25ft Aljo by Skyline. Skyline had a factory in Hesperia at the time so the West Coast price was reasonable. This trailer was a single slide and we paid about $16K out the door. Nice trailer to get started with and we used it for 9 years before selling it to a friend that is still getting a lot of use out of it. Skyline sells under several labels but worth a look.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fatboy66
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Best of those three? They wouldn't make my top three choices. Good luck.

That wasn't the question.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B always suggests the Trailmanor as the solution to any question. While they are considered a well built trailer, it is not anywhere close to what you've said you need and they are pricey.

Question......would you consider a road trip to OH to pick up a trailer if you found the right model?? We bought both our Rockwood trailers from RVWholesalers and have been totally pleased, not to mention saving over $4000 on our HTT and even more on the TT - after travel expenses. Before you head out the door, if you haven't already taken a look you might do so. They do not post prices, but email them to you. You can guesstimate the price by the MSRP they show....figure about 30%+ off that number. MSRP prices are not a true number like in car purchases, but you can at least get an idea. Lots of happy customers on here. No games, no trades, just the straight price. They carry a wide variety of manufacturers and have plenty of pictures and floorplans to look at. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
Your Minnie Winnie looks really nice, but in our part of the world, it's out of our price range. I'm amazed at the enormous variation in prices between the east-midwest and the west. As much as 33% on some units.

Generally you should be able to talk the dealer down 25-35% off of MSRP list price. Perhaps in many locations the dealers advertises list prices while other areas show discounted prices. Either way, make an offer and ignore the asking price. I have heard that dealers in southern California tend to not budge as much as Arizona or Nevada.

We have a Winnebago 5'er we bought last year. Similar construction to the Minnie. Much better build quality than some of the Jayco's, Heartland etc. we looked at.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
I am partial to Northwood products--particularly Arctic Fox.

Lars, I've checked out the Arctic Fox and it's bigger than we can handle. So I looked at the Nash models and found two that I like, if I can find them within our price range.

We are gradually crossing things off our wish list in the name of shorter/lighter. So far, I've given up a sofa and my husband has reluctantly agreed to a U-shaped dinette instead of a standard one, which he much prefers. And we've agreed that we don't need a separate bedroom, as long as there's some sort of separator curtain so he doesn't wake me up when he gets up at 5:00 am. We don't watch much TV, so that's not an issue. The only things we won't give up are a slider and a kitchen with some counter-space. Everything else is negotiable, because we're scared to death that we'll get something that will rip the chassis out of our Sequoia.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
What does DP mean???

Double Post.

He posted the same thing twice and was deleting one of them but letting you know what happened so you don't think your missing something in a blank post.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
What does DP mean???
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
MargaretB wrote:
Good suggestions, but as usual, I have more questions... As far as construction goes, which of the two options you mentioned is preferable??? And how will we know if the roof is walk-on? How do I find out about frame and axle sizes?

Do their reputations differ, pro or con?

To answer your original question about how to determine the differences .... Most the trailers in a given price range will use similar components from one of the few manufacturers - stoves, refrigerators, toilets, air conditioners, etc. - will be pretty comparable.

The differences that might matter the most include the aforementioned things like roof construction, frame, and running gear. As far as the roof, the newest and probably strongest construction method is the use of metal stamped rafters forming an arched roof with roofing material coming down over the edge of the roof/sidewall joint. This type of construction provides better rain runoff, and should be stronger than the previously used flat roofs.

As for the frame, generally the bigger the main frames, the better, but the thickness and type of the metal beams used is also important.

The axle assemblies are designed by the axle manufacturer to a specific capacity that should be marked on a tag on the axle, or be determined by looking up the manufacturers model number on their webpage. Most trailer manufacturers seem to skimp on the axle/tire size, so check it carefully - total capacity should exceed the gross vehicle weight of the trailer by a comfortable margin - the more the merrier within reason.

Same for the tires. Most trailers come with marginally adequate capacity tires. 15" tires and wheels are much more desirable than 14" tires and wheels and there are many more choices of sizes, manufacturers, and load ranges of replacements with more capacity than what comes with the trailer. Try to negotiate for 15" wheels and tires that are a load range higher than what is standard on the trailer.

Most everything else comes down to fit and finish and added features you find desirable. Personally, we like a real back bumper and hitch receiver, power tongue jack, slide toppers, plenty of ground clearance, storage compartment hatches large enough to fit a milk crate into (makes stowing things easier), a black tank flush, and cabling for a satellite dish, but your list may very.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
MargaretB wrote:
Good suggestions, but as usual, I have more questions... As far as construction goes, which of the two options you mentioned is preferable???I prefer that the walls sit on top of the frame, just as a house's walls sit on top of the foundation. And how will we know if the roof is walk-on? You are looking for 3/8 boards up there. OSB or plywood. NOT luan. If it isn't specifically listed in the brochure, then don't believe a salesman. Pull a vent off of the ceiling and look. How do I find out about frame and axle sizes? I think that this item is the most important. 6 lugs usually means a 3" axle tube, versus a 2 3/8" tube. Crawl under them with a tape measure and notepad. Note the frame. C channel, I beam, tube, fake I beam, or the swiss cheese variety.
How tall is it, how thick?

Do their reputations differ, pro or con?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are out West already you might take a look at Northwoods Nash line? Still solid trailers but without some of the bells and whistles of the Arctic Fox line.

Northwoods Nash

Northwoods also has a sister company (Outdoors Manufactoring) also made in Oregon that has some nice looking trailers as well.

Outdoors Manufacturing Creekside

Good luck in your hunt!
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
Your Minnie Winnie looks really nice, but in our part of the world, it's out of our price range. I'm amazed at the enormous variation in prices between the east-midwest and the west. As much as 33% on some units.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
You asked the right question. We are crazy about our Minnie Winnie 2101DS. We have put 3300 miles on it since March this year. Here is a tour of our Minnie:

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you look at the various Jayco products? How about TrailManor's TT.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)