cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need FAST Reliable cheap ball-joint mech Mesa AZ

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Ball joints are out on my F250. They're asking almost $1000 at Reliable Diesel in Mesa. Guy with his own shop advertising on CL (I have had great luck with these kinds of listings and saved a lot) is asking just $550.

Also, Good Sam paid to tow it to Reliable Diesel who diagnosed it. What does Good Sam cover? The diagnosis as well? If I choose to go to a different place is the towing out of my pocket? I'm guessing yes. But still worth it. And if I do have it moved to a new place I'm guessing Reliable will charge me for the diagnosis? I haven't had much car trouble in my life...no idea how all this works.

Anyone know of a good honest mechanic in the Mesa area with great prices?

Thanks!
31 REPLIES 31

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP needed help not a lot of bashing. Several have put forth ideas and information. Others choose to bash the OP because she did not want to change both ball joints. Instead of trying to guide her to the right decision, take cheap shots. The bottom line is, did she get the truck fixed?
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I read thru the thread because having an F250 and having to replace the loose ball joints was a memorable experience. :W

Having done that on a 2 WD, I don't understand the clanging noise. What about the question on 2 or 4 WD? Maybe you have a 4 WD and the U Joint is toast and banging around?

Having done a 2WD, I don't see how one could wear the joints all the way thru without noticing the front wheels leaning in on the top when setting in a parking lot.

Easy way to check the play is to jack the front wheel off the ground (you can use the I Beam for this if jacked close to the wheel). Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth.

Being an ole motor head, I would be interested in what was making the noise.

Also when I replaced mine, the house brand china type joints were really cheap, while the MOOG joints were expensive. If you are going to keep the truck I would go with Moog since they have grease zerks. If you are gonna dump it, I would go with the el cheapo Chinese ones.

Good luck!

Dave, I have to totally agree with you on the noise.

When driving straight ahead, ball joints are seldom noisy when they are loose, but blown u-joints on 4x4 are. If the ball joints are loose, there is a likelihood that 4x4 u-joints could use service or replacement too. At any rate, it is highly recommended to either regrease them (no OEM zerks) or replace them while the assembly is apart.

Another fellow mentioned that his steering suffered from loose ball joints. This poor steering is usually from loose tie rod ends, a loose idler or a worn steering sector, all of which are usually well worn by the time the ball joints go and can also cause constant tire wear. Loose ball joints by themselves are usually only noticeable at low speeds while turning a corner with a large side stress on the tires, or braking, and moderate wear seldom causes general tire wear or poor steering on the highway.

During straight ahead highway operation the worn loose ball joints self-center (rest) in their worn cup unless they are so bad the cup has wholly disintegrated. Then what is left of the ball can move around in the sheet metal joint housing which is still contained, and limited, by the knuckle/fork bores. As a result, even worn ball joints normally maintain correct wheel alignment throughout their entire service life. In extreme wear cases, a road bump can pop the wheel assembly off, which is dangerous of course, so there is a limit to acceptable wear.

I just had my local Ford dealer recommend a passenger ball joint replacement on my Excursion (same as F-250) because they noted new tires on the truck and were deeply concerned they might wear. There is some joint play, but not a lot and I will replace just that side reasonably soon (passenger side wears more rapidly for some reason). The Ford dealer priced 4 new joints at $1400:E, and they do not do it themselves, but farm it out to a tire shop across the street. No thanks. My Ex steers just fine for now and I'll not pay that much, nor knowingly allow it to be screwed up with the wrong parts or procedure followed by a lot of finger pointing.

I will get free-moving OEM parts when I do it, or have it done. Here is a pdf dealing with too-tight joints which are not uncommon with Moog, or other precision all-metal joints which includes the majority, no matter price or origin of manufacture (I'll bet 99% are Made in China). I prefer the OEM joints which have a plastic insert that provides some give to the fit, some give to manufacturing tolerances.

If the new assembly is too tight, the Ford truck steers like heck on the highway because the F-250 no longer casters straight ahead on it's own, as I mentioned in my earlier post here.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

:R Really?

Yep REALLY...maybe try reading what I wrote...never did I say for him to do it himself, not one time! What I said was "some of you must have more money than brains!" telling the OP that $1000 is a good price for two ball joints! Sure if you have cash to burn and a $1000 is cigar lighting paper then go for it.

Lets look at your post shell we. You paid a shop $100 to do an alignment!? Wow they are $35 here, unless you opt for the lifetime alignment then it's right near $100.

"Add it up and I had 10.5 hrs of time $200 in parts, $50 rental, 105 miles of driving (6 gallons of gas at $2.80 per gallon back then."

Sorry you don't have the tools to do the job, but taking 10.5 hours to change two ball joints is crazy. Maybe you should have spent the $1000 if you don't have the tools to do the work!

My post was telling the OP to go to a different shop, not to do it himself. Before you slam someone make sure you have the facts right!
:R:R:R:R:R:R:R:R:R

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Well all I can think of is if you didn't feel or notice anything out of scope before this repair you should after the repair,do consider doing both at once as you seem to have it all looked after at a cheap price now,next time maybe you won't find the same financial savings when it goes clank or clunk.Yep it's a tough old world out there and we all know better.

panamacamper1
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is in a shop now in annapolis md, auto tech. This guy gary is awesome. Private owner who doesnt take advantage of people. I paid for everything factory, upper, lower ball joints and new front brakes. He is charging me 640 for the ball joint work and pads. I paid about three from the dealer to get factory parts. Just not a big fan of some of the aftermarket parts for my 06 ram 2500 mega cab with the 5.9 ctd.
Google his reviews, i have nerver seen a shop with such high reviews. My family and my wifes family all go to this place and he is contracted with construction buisiness i think because he has a lot of big vehicles come in.
That being said, 1000 seems pretty fair for quality work. I mean would you take your kids to a cheaper doctor to save a buck? So, why would a truck thats going to transport your family deserve any less.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Wow I have to say some of you must have more money then brains! I have done ball joints in my garage for many people that can't afford a $600 bill let alone a $1000 bill! No freaking way should two ball joints cost a grand!

OP if the guy on CL has the abillity to do the job then let him do it. See if you can supply the parts or at least pick what parts are going on the truck. None of the OEM's make their own ball joints so why pay a steeler for their over priced TRW or Mooge ball joints! Pick them up at Auto Zone or wherever and have the guy install them.

Just because someone works out of their garage and not at a shop, does not mean they are incompetent. Most guys are off duty mechanics trying to make ends meet. Rent a car and go see what he has to offer and what tools he has. If he checks out let him do the work, if not find a shop that is not going to rip you off like the place your at now!

Don

:R

Really?

Not EVERYONE has the PROPER TOOLS OR TIME to putz around, not to mention an alignment system in their personal garage.

The first time I did my own truck ball joints I rented a ball joint press (absolutely required)for $50 for ONE DAY. That was a round trip of 35 miles and 1.5 hrs of my time. Got the press home and proceeded to tear things apart only to find the rented press was MISSING the very adapter I NEEDED. Needless to say pretty darn hard to drive back to the rental place when things are in pieces!

Managed to makeshift a adapter for the press (2 hrs lost there then spent the next 4hrs to get all the joints changed.

Then had to run the press back to the rental shop the next day (another 35 mile 1.5 hr round trip).

Then off to a alignment shop (another 35 mile 1.5hr round trip) and a couple of hrs waiting for the alignment shop to work their magic and $100 later..

Add it up and I had 10.5 hrs of time $200 in parts, $50 rental, 105 miles of driving (6 gallons of gas at $2.80 per gallon back then.

If I would have simply taken the truck to the shop they could have easily done the job in less than two hrs and I would have been on my way (they often put more than one mechanic on the job at the same time).

Did I "save" some money, sure but I lost nearly two days of my life and use of the truck in the process for those two days..

Sometimes you NEED to make a choice between paying someone to do some of the work or taking your own personal time to do the work..

Not many people are going to be willing to fork out the cost of a press for a one off job nor are they going to buy some of the bigger tools needed for trucks..

Many small shops do not have an alignment rack either so they will either NOT ALIGN the front end or will farm that out costing you more time and money (the shop marks up the cost of farming it out).

It is a trade off..

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately Moog is junk now too. They use to be the best........now.........:R. All my friends in the business say the same thing........stay away from Moog now days.

Some talk about Moog ball joints.

Spicer seems to be the choice now days.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I have to say some of you must have more money then brains! I have done ball joints in my garage for many people that can't afford a $600 bill let alone a $1000 bill! No freaking way should two ball joints cost a grand!

OP if the guy on CL has the abillity to do the job then let him do it. See if you can supply the parts or at least pick what parts are going on the truck. None of the OEM's make their own ball joints so why pay a steeler for their over priced TRW or Mooge ball joints! Pick them up at Auto Zone or wherever and have the guy install them.

Just because someone works out of their garage and not at a shop, does not mean they are incompetent. Most guys are off duty mechanics trying to make ends meet. Rent a car and go see what he has to offer and what tools he has. If he checks out let him do the work, if not find a shop that is not going to rip you off like the place your at now!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
cannesdo wrote:
Guy offering it for $500 and change for all four joints has an A rating by the BBB and the reviews give him a 4.76 out of 5 stars. That works for me. Chas's Desert View Automotive.

Sounds like you found a good shop....again, be sure they put in the RIGHT parts and not just any parts, otherwise you will doing this again in another town next year. Sadly there are a LOT of cheap Chinese knock-off parts available right now.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I read thru the thread because having an F250 and having to replace the loose ball joints was a memorable experience. :W

Having done that on a 2 WD, I don't understand the clanging noise. What about the question on 2 or 4 WD? Maybe you have a 4 WD and the U Joint is toast and banging around?

Having done a 2WD, I don't see how one could wear the joints all the way thru without noticing the front wheels leaning in on the top when setting in a parking lot.

Easy way to check the play is to jack the front wheel off the ground (you can use the I Beam for this if jacked close to the wheel). Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it back and forth.

Being an ole motor head, I would be interested in what was making the noise.

Also when I replaced mine, the house brand china type joints were really cheap, while the MOOG joints were expensive. If you are going to keep the truck I would go with Moog since they have grease zerks. If you are gonna dump it, I would go with the el cheapo Chinese ones.

Good luck!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
AprilWhine wrote:
good...reliable...cheap

Pick one 😉

I believe there is also one that is;

Fast

Cheap

Good

Pick any two. :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
good...reliable...cheap

Pick one 😉
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well having had "Bad Ball Joints" I found the driving in a straight line was becoming difficult. Usuall when front end part start getting loose it it is a challanged to keep straight and in curves the wheel moves a bit too much. I didn't mean to offend you it may have come on slowly so you didn't notice.
Good luck on you repair.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

First... hope your day gets better.

If you have a choice on ball joint brand, I would suggest staying with original, reliable Ford ball joints. The OEM balljoints are especially designed with a layer of plastic under the cup to allow for a tight upper and lower factory build tolerance between the axle housing knuckle forks, yet still not bind. Most other designs are a steel-to-steel configuration that offer durability but I believe lack flexibility. The resultant stiff steering is often mistaken for wandering as though the steering is too loose, but it is just the opposite... too tight.

It is important that all steering joints (including the sector) allow free steering so that the front tires automatically track straight ahead as per caster setting. As a matter of fact self-centering is the only reason there even is a caster alignment setting. A good example to remind us of this necessity is to try backing up in a straight line at high speed (the caster is backwards and particularily unstable). Also note from your experience that ball joints work great even when they are mostly worn out, but I assure you, never well at all, when too tight. Many shops aren't even aware of this principle (blank stare), but the good ones will often pipe up, "Oh, you mean F-250's..." when you mention trucks with tight steering. There is a good reason Ford spec'd the plastic in their OEM ball joints.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle