cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this plug for?

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
This receptacle is in the compartment where by 30 amp shore power cord is stored. What is it for?
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo
10 REPLIES 10

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
The other end of that outlet should be your genny. You fire up the genny and plug your shore power cable into it.

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
Any Lance owner with a onan genny knows what that is comeon.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

Bedlam
Yup, what NRALIFR said ^^^

It's an outie and not an innie.

Solar is connected to the DC voltage side of the camper this plug is the AC side.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
stevenal wrote:
If this is really wired as an inlet, either for shore power or a generator; get it rewired. Energized prongs on the plug (male) needed to plug into this thing are not a good idea. Use a real inlet rather than the receptacle pictured.

Alternatively, it may just be a way to daisy chain another RV. Plug your TC into shore power and plug your travel trailer into the TC.

I think you're misunderstanding what the receptacle is for. If the camper has a built in generator, the receptacle (not the power cord) is the OUTPUT from the generator, and it's power is fed back to the camper by plugging the shore-power cord into it. That is exactly the setup my TC has. No transfer switch is needed, as the camper can only be plugged into one power source at a time: either shore power or generator power.

It's a simple, safe, and common setup.

:):)

I am pretty sure this must be the correct answer. My camper is wired for generator, but does not have it installed. I am wondering if I can use this to supply Solar power to the RV?
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
If this is really wired as an inlet, either for shore power or a generator; get it rewired. Energized prongs on the plug (male) needed to plug into this thing are not a good idea. Use a real inlet rather than the receptacle pictured.

Alternatively, it may just be a way to daisy chain another RV. Plug your TC into shore power and plug your travel trailer into the TC.

I think you're misunderstanding what the receptacle is for. If the camper has a built in generator, the receptacle (not the power cord) is the OUTPUT from the generator, and it's power is fed back to the camper by plugging the shore-power cord into it. That is exactly the setup my TC has. No transfer switch is needed, as the camper can only be plugged into one power source at a time: either shore power or generator power.

It's a simple, safe, and common setup.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Bedlam
Our toy hauler was set up that way with 50A service. It was easy to run the built in generator and power the house or shop tools off that plug.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fire up your generator and use this pictorial to measure the 30AMP RECEPTACLE PINS and see what you read.

It might also be a user add-on coming from a high wattage INVERTER if you have one installed.

It is most likely intended to be able to plug your 30AMP Shore Power cable into it to power up your your 30AMP Trailer.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a built-in generator, then that's the AC output from it. You plug your shore power cord into it to power the camper. I prefer this setup to an ATS as it's one less thing to malfunction.

If you don't have a built-in generator, I'd say it's part of the pre-wiring for one and is not functional now.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generator plug in would be my guess. In place of an auto change over many RV's use a plug to connect your shore power cord.