cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BFG Rugged Terrains?

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone running these? Seem to be a decent tire that replaced the 'Rugged Trail' Light Truck tire line. Studying reviews for the last six months and they're mostly favorable. However, as we know, hauling a TC doesn't really apply to most people.

Tire rack specs says they're equal to what I'm already running which are Contitrac LT275/70-18 E load 10 ply @3640 lbs.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's
24 REPLIES 24

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Not many LT choices for 18" rims.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:
BF Goodrich rates their Rugged Terrain T/A tire higher for tread life, braking, off road use, and comfort, though lower for fuel efficiency, and it has the same load capacity as the Rugged Trail. I would go with the Rugged Trail only if fuel efficiency was a major concern.

The Rugged Trail in my wheel size is a P rated tire with a load rating of 2500 lbs.
Not gonna work.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

nipster
Explorer
Explorer
I had the rugged trail tires for my truck and was not impressed with tread life, may give these a try

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal. Pretty much echoes what I've heard and read. Thanks for the input.

Chevor:

Thanks for the suggestion, but my wheels are 18's
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
BF Goodrich rates their Rugged Terrain T/A tire higher for tread life, braking, off road use, and comfort, though lower for fuel efficiency, and it has the same load capacity as the Rugged Trail. I would go with the Rugged Trail only if fuel efficiency was a major concern.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
I got them right after they came out. In fact Belle Tire by my house hadn't even heard of them. The guy insisted I was talking about the Rugged Trail. Anyhoo, great tire. Blows away the the year old dry rotted Michelin's I had on before. Better traction off road, MUCH stiffer sidewalls, better looking, but a little louder. 25,000 miles or so, all of it carrying the camper, and very little wear. I'd buy them again for sure.
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered them specifically for my Tacoma, in place of the original tires -- so far, very happy with them, after 20,000 miles. I have used them in snow (6 inches), black ice (slowly) , and very deep soft sand, with no problem. Also, they are smoother than my BFG All-Terrains were on my Pathfinder, and much quieter. Not sure how they would be in deep mud, though -- the All Terrains had deeper lugs.

I should add that with the new tires, I am sometimes getting 22 mpg per tank on the freeway with very careful driving. I was never able to get over 20 mpg with the All Terrains.

I am running them at 42 lb. in the front and 44 in the back, while towing.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I like this tire. It seems to only be in a 245/75/17 size.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Have them on the rear of DRW, hauling pin weight of 5er with good results. Have not had them in poor traction situations (thank you mother nature).
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
I put them on my F350 before the winter and plowed with them and had no problems. Obviously, I see where you are from, that you do not have to worry about that! They came highly recommended from the tire supplier that I get all my tires from, over more expensive tires, so I decided to try them. Would definitely get them again when it's time.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam