cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Fees to buy at Camping World?

Boomer719
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone else encountered what I think are excessive fees at Camping World?

Looked at a new Coleman travel trailer and found out they were tacking on the following over and above the price of the trailer:

Dealer fee: $495
Prep fee: $895
Transportation and Delivery fee: $2,250

Salesperson bragged that their profits were through the roof because of this new pricing policy...why would anyone be foolish enough to pay this excessive padding on a deal?
42 REPLIES 42

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Some years back, I bought a couple of quads about a week apart. They charged me 95.00 in document fees... Told me that included the plates. When I got the plates for the first one, I noticed it was only 5.00 (much cheaper than we pay for autos) I called them to complain about their excessive fees... Naturally, they explained that the 90.00 was for them doing ALL of the legwork to get me my plates... Seeing as how that consisted of putting a form in an envelope and a stamp... I thought that was excessive, but accepted it. A few more weeks went by, and the plate for the second quad had not arrived. So I called the dealer to inquire about it. They told me that I had to go to DMV to file for a duplicate plate (DMV is a nightmare. A great way to waste a whole day in non moving lines).
I replied that I would not do that... That I paid them 95.00 for a 5.00 plate, so that they would do all of the legwork to get me my plate.... I think she remembered our previous conversation at that point. She said she understood where i was coming from and would handle it. The plate arrived a couple of weeks later. 95.00 well spent.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
What you might not be aware of is they just purchased about half of the Cabalas stores. And they have a Camping World football field in Orlando Fl. Got to pay for it some how and guess who? YOU

Camping World purchased Gander Mountain, not Cabelas. Cabelas was purchased last year by Bass Pro Shops.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you purchased a car lately? Transportation fee...dealer prep...dealer options..documents fee. I agree with another poster...it's the out the door price that counts.

Are you unfairly bashing CW?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I run into the same issue buying vehicles, they like to stick on $300 for processing, state limit is $400 I hear. It is sort of fun getting a deal made for xxx$$$, then point out that I will only pay $100 for processing. they say that Jimmy Owner wants that line to read $300, so I say fine, and we take $200 off the price. My salesman said that he wouldn't let $200 stand in the way of him making a sale.
bumpy

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny. Not a chance in my world
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do your home work on the price and only pay out the door price, I never look at all the add on,s I find the rv I like and barter till some dealer meets my figure or darn close. even out of state . p.s. the last three rv,s I bought were in other states and payed thousands less than in my on area.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
..snip...It doesn't make a tinker's darn what there fee's are, it's the final out the door price that matters.

Exactly. The "fees" could add up to $25,000 and the price of the unit could be $10.00....or switch them. Nothing matters except the bottom line and if you are happy with the deal you got.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Explorer
Explorer
What you might not be aware of is they just purchased about half of the Cabalas stores. And they have a Camping World football field in Orlando Fl. Got to pay for it some how and guess who? YOU
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesn't make a tinker's darn what there fee's are, it's the final out the door price that matters. I decide what I want then find the dealer that will give me the best price, you always have the option of giving your local dealer a chance to price match.

I see 2 other people gave the same message before I.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with kerrlakeroo's point about out the door pricing. I don't really care if the dealer wants to charge me a dollar for the TT, and call the rest of the total price "dealer fees". If they come in under the other total prices I'm shopping, that's what matters.

Of course the salesperson's off-putting attitude may be an indicator of the company's attitude toward their customers, which is a separate consideration from pricing.

Boomer719
Explorer
Explorer
You go through an interview up front and they present product to fit a monthly budget knowing they need to include the fees. People apparently are foolish enough sign anyway.

Also, if you are looking for their exclusive products like Coleman travel trailers, you are stuck dealing with them and those ridiculous fees.

$16200 trailer ends up being $22,000+ by the time you add tax, license and these crazy fees!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Every dealer is going to make some money somewhere in the process.
Are those fees exorbitant? Yeah
Do other charge those types of fees? Some do,
Its up to you to research the difference, Many dealers put their fee structure on the website, some charge no prep or documentation fees, find what unit you want , research it to death to find what you can get it for elsewhere, total out the door price , and then deal with whoever works best with you.
You do have to wonder though , how many people because of worrying about the financing, dont pay close attention to that issue, it's the same thing car dealers have been doing for ages.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
And why would the sales person brag about it? Kind of like gloating that they're ripping you off. I'd remind them there's plenty of RV dealers out there and move on.