cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big horsepower Ram gasser on way?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It won't be a tow vehicle but the 5th gen Ram family is reported to include a Rebel TRX with 707 HP instead of the 535 HP detuned version in the concept. Source is the Automotive News issue of April 16th. FCA declined comment.
The article also mentions that a Rebel TR with a 520 HP 7.0 is strongly rumored.
Puma 30RKSS
36 REPLIES 36

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It would just be a toy with minimal towing capacity.

I think it would be a very fun truck, and I am not sure about your "minimal towing capacity" comment.

In the Tackhawk Grand Cherokee, the Hellcat is rated to tow 7200 pounds, which I think is as much as any other Grand Cherokee.

So, it certainly won't compete with a 2500, but I would wait until the ratings come out to see if it has significantly lower towing capacity than their other 1500 truck.

For what it will cost, 7K# doesn't impress me.

Most people could care less about towing capacity. Look at the other vehicles around you the next time you're going down a busy stretch of freeway.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I think it would be a very fun truck, and I am not sure about your "minimal towing capacity" comment.

In the Tackhawk Grand Cherokee, the Hellcat is rated to tow 7200 pounds, which I think is as much as any other Grand Cherokee.

So, it certainly won't compete with a 2500, but I would wait until the ratings come out to see if it has significantly lower towing capacity than their other 1500 truck.

For what it will cost, 7K# doesn't impress me.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the issues with big power in a tow vehicle is designing a cooling system to keep up. Using 700 hp for 10 seconds to accelerate a car down the track or road is totally different than having 700 hp being generated for 10 minutes while pulling a huge trailer up a steep incline at 60 mph. The cooling system has to do about as much work as the rear wheels. In order to actually use 700 hp towing would require a larger cooling system than a Peterbilt.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a stop at every filling station truck. Gas prices are climbing nationally, in case you haven't noticed.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Is there such a thing as a Rebel option group for the 2500/3500?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed