cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Straps instead of bolt down too risky?

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for options to secure my new Cari Cowboy? I have a step side truck, so I had to go with bolt down because the usual turnbuckle system would not fit in the step side bed. Bolt down works fine, but does take some effort to get the bolt holes lined up. I did get a welder to weld a plate with the nuts on the underside so I don't have to jack with that. One option is to enlarge the 3/8" holes in the camper floor to say, 1" to get more room for error to drop the bolt down to the nut. I would need some type of spacer to fit in the hole to keep it from moving but that would be easy enough to figure out.

My motivation for this question is my difficulty backing up my boat. I'm good with backing up any trailer, don't even have to think about it. But even though I put a window in the front of the camper and I keep the back camper door open, it's not enough of an overall view to see what is going on and becomes very frustrating getting out of the truck multiple times, etc. Not to mention the on lookers are I'm sure thinking I can't back up a trailer, that really bugs me!

So my work around is to drop the camper at the campsite and then I'm free to launch the boat or park the boat in a tight camp site next to the camper. But would really like a more convenient load/unload option. The camper sits very tight in the bed with maybe 1/2" or so clearance to each side, so it ain't going forward, left or right. Only way out is to slide out the back. My truck bed has a sprayed in liner, so there is a fair amount of traction gained with the camper bottom. Picture a box in a box and that is how it sits in my bed since I do not have any wheel wells, just a rectangular truck bed.

Camper loaded weighs about 1,000 lbs.

Would really like to just strap the back using the mechanical jack plates for securing the straps.

Any thoughts? Am I adding too much risk even though it fits very tightly in my truck bed?

20 REPLIES 20

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a couple posts up on this thread I mentioned Pete from Capri said I could use an eye bolt on the last jack plate hole. He sent a pic and even offered to mail them for free. Great customer service.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
breeves2245 wrote:
There are no attachment points on the camper to attach a tie down. Since I want to take the camper off at the campsite I need to keep the jacks on the jack plates. So they are using the only secure attachment points.

My tiedowns are attached to the jack mounting bolts. Probably the most secure place on the frame. Don't have to loose a jack mounting bolt. I suppose I could post a picture --
Cal

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just get a set of the bigger mirrors off a similar 3/4 ton.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whatever else you do... x2 for the extendable towing mirrors. The non-electric ones should be inexpensive and they are a massive improvement.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a fleet side instead of a step side truck, I could use the usual tie down method Pete at Capri Camper uses with the Cowboy. In fact, my camper has four trap doors that were to be used for the turn buckles. But once mounted they realized there is no room. When you open one of the trap doors, all you see is truck bed about a 1/2" away. Step side really causes some issues. I just got off the phone with a dealer selling Torklift. They checked with the Torklift tech and were told the step side causes issues and did not advise trying to make their system work.

I'm going with option one - enlarge the bolt holes in the camper floor from 3/8" to 1" with a spacer to take up the added space. Also buy some snap no extension mirrors my brother and buringman above suggested. After this weekend's adventure I'll know if this is adequate or if I need to get a fabricated belly bar of sorts with turnbuckles.

Pete did tell me I could use the last jack plate hole for an anchor point using a 3/8" bolt with eyelet. He offered to mail them to me. Can't say enough about Pete at Capri, their customer service goes beyond expectations.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Do those campers not come with any tie down mounts or locations to tie down under the side overhangs like most campers?
Is bolt down really the only factory option?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Where are the jacks?
Also not a good idea to โ€œwrapโ€ a strap around any of the camper structure under tension, if I understood correctly what you were describing with the straps idea to the rear bed tie downs.
Either way, bolting a camper down that you want to remove on a regular and ongoing basis sounds painful, so good idea to eliminate that nuisance from your trips.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Quit making this simple, I've got it worked up to be a very complicated matter. Funny, my brother suggested the same thing. Thanks for the reminder, I need to check into this.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m gonna be Captain Obvious and suggest you put adequate mirrors on your truck.
Those little car mirrors are not what you use on a truck that carries a camper and tows a boat.
Thatโ€™s why you canโ€™t see.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I like the front hitch idea, but taking the time to get the camper off my truck makes everything work. Easy to launch, easy to drive around exploring the area, etc. With the fabricated belly bar in front using the jack plates for an anchor point for the turnbuckle and a strap around back, that would make loading/unloading about as easy as it can get.

Leaving Thursday for an Arkansas State Park, so I got to get busy.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is front hitch an option?
I mount one on my track with carrying generator in mind, but lately had to maneuver small trailer with sculpture between my landscape.
Hard to believe how much maneuverability you gain with front hitch.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
There are multiple camera solutions that would work for backing the boat. Some better than others. Do you have a GoPro? Might be able to use that with the GoPro app.

Linking to a high dollar solution.

Mr Truck review on Youtube

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
My camper weighs about 1,000 lbs loaded. The jack plates have three bolt holes each. I'm thinking I can get away with only two bolts on each jack plate and use the bottom hole to secure a turnbuckle to the anchor point below.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought of the wind situation. I like the idea of fabricating something off the jack plates. I went to a welder to get some 1/4" plate steel plates with the nut welded on put under the bottom of the truck bed. He was very good, so I bet whatever I come up with, he would be able to do. I may can run with this idea and come up with something like you described. Not very expensive to do and boy would that beat the bolt lining up chore.

Thanks.