cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big horsepower Ram gasser on way?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It won't be a tow vehicle but the 5th gen Ram family is reported to include a Rebel TRX with 707 HP instead of the 535 HP detuned version in the concept. Source is the Automotive News issue of April 16th. FCA declined comment.
The article also mentions that a Rebel TR with a 520 HP 7.0 is strongly rumored.
Puma 30RKSS
36 REPLIES 36

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
One of the issues with big power in a tow vehicle is designing a cooling system to keep up. Using 700 hp for 10 seconds to accelerate a car down the track or road is totally different than having 700 hp being generated for 10 minutes while pulling a huge trailer up a steep incline at 60 mph. The cooling system has to do about as much work as the rear wheels. In order to actually use 700 hp towing would require a larger cooling system than a Peterbilt.

Someone gets it! Everybody loves to talk about big HP but when it comes to duty cycle or cooling everybody shuts up. :B

so true 700 hp is fine but at what engine speed, 6000+ rpm?
give me useful horsepower and torque at 2000-3000 rpm any day over 700 hp
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
It won't be a tow vehicle but the 5th gen Ram family is reported to include a Rebel TRX with 707 HP instead of the 535 HP detuned version in the concept. Source is the Automotive News issue of April 16th. FCA declined comment.
The article also mentions that a Rebel TR with a 520 HP 7.0 is strongly rumored.

Here's a dodge video hinting that the 426 Hemi is on it's way. Commercial was released on 4/26. If these go into the HD trucks it will put the squeeze on cummins sales due to a simple design and simple exhaust system.

Enjoy...

426 Commercial
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Didn't the Lightning morph into the Raptor?

In a way. The hot rod community loved the ilightining. And so did the off road community. The off road community asked for ia 4WD version and ford responded. They have been selling them since! And here again, they are selling every one they build.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lightning was a 2wd pavement burner.
And to dodgegyys point, “most” of the specialty vehicles over the years are not long lived. They are just that, special.
However one could point to the economy or fuel prices or emissions standards that have killed some hot rod models before their time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't the Lightning morph into the Raptor?
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^ Ebb and flow......
Also killed the Ram 10 as oil prices were getting up there a bit. And a 2 seater 2wd pickup won’t have the market that any of the Hellcat/Trackhawks have just due to their limitations.
Ford Lightning’s and 454SSs weren’t around real long either.
But Hellcats are 4th year now. Well see how long they last. Hope long enough they get cheaper!

Either way, it’s not like you have to buy one. Myself, I’ll typically err on the side of ridiculous horsepower because I enjoy it!

It wasn't built to sell a million of them. they were built as a limited run. and was only meant to be a couple year run. and they sold every one they built!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
thomasmnile wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Either way, it’s not like you have to buy one. Myself, I’ll typically err on the side of ridiculous horsepower because I enjoy it!

No, I don't. I struggle with what we paid for a new Camry for cryin' out loud. :B Bought my '05 Ram 3500 in '08 for cheap in 2008 when diesel was approaching 5 bucks a gallon. Anyone wants a hot rod and can afford it, go with God. Me? I'll pass, rather save the cash for a night out at Cracker Barrel!!! :B:B:B

I hear ya on new car prices! Bought the 07 Dodge in 08. Great bargain. Actually bought a lot of things when the economy was in the tank.
I'll take the hot rod to Cracker Barrel!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fx2tom wrote:
Ford's Raptor was introduced in 2012 and aside for 1 year has been in production since. I work with a guy who just bought a Shelby Raptor with 525 HP for $120k. The 707 HP seems like a bargain under $100k.

Here here!

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget about the dealer optioned $39k 725hp F150 available with factory warranty intact.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's Raptor was introduced in 2012 and aside for 1 year has been in production since. I work with a guy who just bought a Shelby Raptor with 525 HP for $120k. The 707 HP seems like a bargain under $100k.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

No, I don't. I struggle with what we paid for a new Camry for cryin' out loud. :B Bought my '05 Ram 3500 in '08 for cheap in 2008 when diesel was approaching 5 bucks a gallon. Anyone wants a hot rod and can afford it, go with God. Me? I'll pass, rather save the cash for a night out at Cracker Barrel!!! :B:B:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Ebb and flow......
Also killed the Ram 10 as oil prices were getting up there a bit. And a 2 seater 2wd pickup won’t have the market that any of the Hellcat/Trackhawks have just due to their limitations.
Ford Lightning’s and 454SSs weren’t around real long either.
But Hellcats are 4th year now. Well see how long they last. Hope long enough they get cheaper!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Niche truck for adrenaline junkies with a fat wallet. Probably last as long in production as the Ram SRT 10...and sell about as many.

Grrr.....you d@mn kids...get off my porch! What with your loud music , long hair and fast cars......Makes my dentures rattle!
Lol

No rattling dentures here, Dog. :B My teeth are mine, as is my belief about the gazillion horsepower Ram. The SRT 10 sold fewer than 10K units in 3 years production. FCA pulled the plug for that reason. Simple, just like Ford announced they are selling only 2 car models in North America henceforth, well until oil prices spike again anyway.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
And my dad is stronger than your dad! who cares? They are offering a high HP pick up. The people that will be buying one wont care about mileage or what people think of a $100k pick up. Just that it will be BAD A$$!!!!

Bingo! Can tell that you’re not on line from your bed at the nursing home! Lol
They are bad @ss! We’re in the next muscle car era right guy now that is absolutely destroying the last muscle car era.
After our second SRaT now. A first gen 6.1 and now a new one, I’m soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Hellcat it ain’t even funny!