cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bio-diesel / Is it a good or bad thing for the engine ?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I went to fill with diesel at my favorite Chevron station, and I noticed the diesel pump said something like S15. I had no choice at the time, so I only put in 10 gallons, cause I knew I could get better stuff later. A guy at the station remarked that it was ****, and bad for the engine and injectors. I get the environmental part, anybody know the facts about it's effects on the engine?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
41 REPLIES 41

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I went to fill with diesel at my favorite Chevron station, and I noticed the diesel pump said something like S15. I had no choice at the time, so I only put in 10 gallons, cause I knew I could get better stuff later. A guy at the station remarked that it was ****, and bad for the engine and injectors. I get the environmental part, anybody know the facts about it's effects on the engine?

The guy at the stations full of C**p. The B20 is for bio diesel, I have run it in an old 7.3 power stroke. I avoid it because of the loss of mileage.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
My 6.0 Powerstroke liked running on B10 due to the additional lubricity in the fuel and I actually got better mileage with it than running straight ULSD with a friction modifier. If I remember correctly, that era of Powerstroke was only certified for B5 even though I ran a greater bio mix. My 6.7 Cummins is rated for B20 and I see no difference in performance or mileage between B20 and straight ULSD.
I run bio in my both 7.3's and and both 6.0's of a summer, winter I use straight #2 Diesel. As stated it has more lubrication and the injectors are a little quieter. My neighbor uses it in his Cummins as well. Don't know enough about modern Diesels to have a opinion on how it works in them.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Thank you all, you guys are teaching me a lot. I am in Oregon, and the button on the pump said S15. Had never seen that before. I have a 2016 Duramax, so I better read the manual. My rig has only 3600 miles on it, and I have changed oil once, but not fuel filter. I better look into it. I need to find out how often the fuel filter needs changed. We got a foot of snow now. I can wait a bit. I don't drive it much right now.

S15 has NOTHING to do with biodiesel. it is the max sulfur content. And that is federally mandated and also mfg require diesels after about early 2000 to only use S15.

Oregon diesel will be 5% Biodiesel unless you fill at a pump that says otherwise, often "up to B20".
And the 2016 duramax manual says you can use B20.

Fuel filter life will show on the DIC. manual states a time duration or when it says 0% whichever is lower.

Thanks KT, I'm usually a fanatic about maintenance. I bought the Duramax thinking I would tow a fifth wheel. DW found out she has lesions on her spinal roots, and can't sit long, so went to a
motorhome. So the 2016 Duramax has been kind of a garage queen, but thanks for pointing out there is a time limit on the fuel filter. I'll be getting right on top of that.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
They tell me (Ford) NOT to run any bio in mine (2005 E350) and I actually experienced a $5,000 reason not too. My fuel tank "delaminated" and the dealer attributed it to having run bio diesel in my tank...took out the tank, filters and some injectors. I don't know, I am not aware of running bio back then. When I go through Illinois I fill up in St. Louis and Do Not get any fuel in that state (everything there is bio). If I am at a function in Illinois, I get the minimum fuel that I can to get me back to non bio stations.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bio diesel works fine most of the time. It tends to clean out your engine so you need to carry a fuel filter just in case. It adds lubricity for sure. The greatest limitation is that in cold weather it may start to gel sooner than D#2. People that run B100 add a pre-heater to their engines. Most people run B5 to B20.

Some day conventinal fossil fuels will start to disappear. Then we will be running on biodiesel made from many different sources including algae, crops, and waste cooking oil. When diesel fuel gets to about $5 a gallon, biodiesel will be very competitive and it will be readily available.

I liked ductape's comments.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Bio D can and does retain water. It is hydroscopic. It will hide in the fuel itself.

Todays new fuel systems do not put up with ANY water. The pressures they run now days will kill the pump or injectors in a heart beat.

I do not like the stuff nor do I use it when there is straight #2 for sale.

Todays modern fuel systems cost 15 grand+ to replace. "Do you feel lucky? Well do ya?"

Do you realize that much of the diesel you buy today as "straight #2" is B2-B5? and isn't required to be labeled as such on the pump. You'd be hard pressed to find B0. You've probably run way more B5 than you might think.

"In every state, biodiesel can be blended with traditional petroleum diesel up to 5 percent. At this B5 blend level, the fuel still meets the ASTM D975 fuel specification and does not require any additional labeling at the pump. Once retailers begin to sell blends from B6 to B20, labeling is required."

I do indeed.

You do realize the original title of this thread is: "Bio-diesel/ Is it a good or bad thing for the engine?"

The OP clearly said Bio-diesel and not mixed fuels. And as you pointed out S15 has nothing to do with mixed fuels.

Two of my friends worked for CAT for 30 years. I crew chief'ed for them on their race cars. I talked to them a lot about synthetic oil and bio-diesel, DPF's and all kinds of diesel related stuff. They had all sorts of stories about "Bio-diesel." And I do mean LOTS of stories! I saw first hand what 100% BD did to a tractors injectors. He had to clean "Bio-snot" out of the fuel system. Cool hu? :B

There is a reason OEM's to this day recommend no more that 20% mixed fuel BD. Most people don't have a clue why. I do. It can even get into oil changes or in the case of BD, a lot more of them.

OP, it's really a good idea to read your owners manual and see what % of BD you can use. (at least what the OEM recommends)

If you think burning a higher percentage of BD or straight BD is a good idea, so be it. Burn away man!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Bio D can and does retain water. It is hydroscopic. It will hide in the fuel itself.

Todays new fuel systems do not put up with ANY water. The pressures they run now days will kill the pump or injectors in a heart beat.

I do not like the stuff nor do I use it when there is straight #2 for sale.

Todays modern fuel systems cost 15 grand+ to replace. "Do you feel lucky? Well do ya?"

Do you realize that much of the diesel you buy today as "straight #2" is B2-B5? and isn't required to be labeled as such on the pump. You'd be hard pressed to find B0. You've probably run way more B5 than you might think.

"In every state, biodiesel can be blended with traditional petroleum diesel up to 5 percent. At this B5 blend level, the fuel still meets the ASTM D975 fuel specification and does not require any additional labeling at the pump. Once retailers begin to sell blends from B6 to B20, labeling is required."
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Thank you all, you guys are teaching me a lot. I am in Oregon, and the button on the pump said S15. Had never seen that before. I have a 2016 Duramax, so I better read the manual. My rig has only 3600 miles on it, and I have changed oil once, but not fuel filter. I better look into it. I need to find out how often the fuel filter needs changed. We got a foot of snow now. I can wait a bit. I don't drive it much right now.

S15 has NOTHING to do with biodiesel. it is the max sulfur content. And that is federally mandated and also mfg require diesels after about early 2000 to only use S15.

Oregon diesel will be 5% Biodiesel unless you fill at a pump that says otherwise, often "up to B20".

And the 2016 duramax manual says you can use B20.

Fuel filter life will show on the DIC. manual states a time duration or when it says 0% whichever is lower.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My state (Washington), and probably Oregon also, mandates a minimum of 2% biodiesel. They can add up to 5% of bio and still call it #2 diesel. No getting away from it.

Oregon mandates 5% bio. Many states mandate 2-5% bio diesel. I suspect you would be hard pressed to find many places with NO (0%) biodiesel,

Now biodiesel does have a slightly lower energy content. I say slightly since it is on the order of 1-2% lower. However bio has a higher Cetane rating, and better lubricity.

Personally I run B20 when I can find it, and in oregon B20 is exempt from state fuel tax so often costs less than B5

And on my 04.5 duramax I noticed that with B20 (yes I know they say don't use it in the 04) in cold weather less diesel rattle when cold or accelerating, likely from the higher cetane rating,

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If it comes out of the pump it’s ok in your truck. Nothing to worry about in your sitch.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
No preference either way but the correct answer is, "Read the owners manual for your vehicle."
It will tell you what you can run.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I ran it twice in my 12 CTD. Zero issues. In fact it sounded nicer and seemed to run smoother. I needed some diesel at the coast and the only station in the area was B20 IIRC. I only put in enough to get me to home. The other time was pretty much the same circumstances.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My state (Washington), and probably Oregon also, mandates a minimum of 2% biodiesel. They can add up to 5% of bio and still call it #2 diesel. No getting away from it.

Bedlam
My 6.0 Powerstroke liked running on B10 due to the additional lubricity in the fuel and I actually got better mileage with it than running straight ULSD with a friction modifier. If I remember correctly, that era of Powerstroke was only certified for B5 even though I ran a greater bio mix. My 6.7 Cummins is rated for B20 and I see no difference in performance or mileage between B20 and straight ULSD.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD