Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black water disposal

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I need some guidance. Just acquired a nice piece of land in a remote spot. I'm going to leave my camper on the land, and use it for a getaway place. Going to take it off the truck and leave it.

I'm going to get one of those blue portable tanks to empty the black water into and then take it to a dump station periodically to dump it. The problem of course is when the portable tank is full, it will be far to heavy to lift.

I thought I might put the empty portable tank in the back of the truck and then use a macerator pump to pump into it. Will that work? Can you attach the macerator pump directly to the black water release on the camper and just pump from there into the portable tank?

Any other ideas.

thanks in advance,

Dan
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
27 REPLIES 27

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
dpgerson wrote:
Thanks for that suggestion, Korbe. I have considered that, especially since I might one day build a cabin on the site. Any idea how much that would cost, ballpark. I wouldn't be able to do any of the work myself. Would have to pay to have it done.

AS far as using the macerator pump. I see some with 1 1/2 inch intakes. I think the sewer hose that I dump with is larger than that. Do I need an adadpter?

I would go into the office of the County Health dept ( County Sanitarian) and find out the local requirements. One nice benefit for this type of system is that you don't need power for the system - and it is always a nice selling point, or for the future cabin.

Ditto....Research Local laws regarding septic ! If you have a pond, stream or brook on the property, that could be a deal breaker in some instances.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
How about a small septic tank and leachfield system?

A composting toilet would probably be less expensive.

If allowed why not a french drain, cheap and can be used for years.

Goodness, is there ANYWHERE that allows a french drain for human waste?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing that for years.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If allowed why not a french drain, cheap and can be used for years.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Get this one and connect right up to the dump pipe. They use a lot of amps so it's best to place a garden battery right there and connect directly to it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problem with a 3/4-inch hose and a 30-inch lift. As HMS Beagle points out, you have to disconnect it and clean it up and let it dry between uses, and do not leave it connected with sewage.

I have used a macerator since 2005, and rarely use my stinky slinky. They are pricy but worth it in my opinion. I use the FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit. I do not think it is cost effective to modify a 1-1/2 pump. I think the cost of parts and drama exceeds the macerator designed for the RV use.

5 items found for "macerator "

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
dpgerson wrote:
Thanks for that suggestion, Korbe. I have considered that, especially since I might one day build a cabin on the site. Any idea how much that would cost, ballpark. I wouldn't be able to do any of the work myself. Would have to pay to have it done.

AS far as using the macerator pump. I see some with 1 1/2 inch intakes. I think the sewer hose that I dump with is larger than that. Do I need an adadpter?

I would go into the office of the County Health dept ( County Sanitarian) and find out the local requirements. One nice benefit for this type of system is that you don't need power for the system - and it is always a nice selling point, or for the future cabin.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
You can find adapters to make a standard 1 1/2" macerator work, or there are pre-made kits for this (CW, etc.). It will work fine, I used to do that all the time. If you want the macerator to last, you have to disconnect it and clean it up and let it dry between uses, don't just leave it connected and soaking in sewage all the time.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Also with the macerator pump make sure it has enough lift capability.

To the tailgate on truck is about 30 inches of lift in a short run.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer

2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
sure
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
How about a small septic tank and leachfield system?

Wildwilly101
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have one that I use at home and feed directly from the tank discharge on the RV to the septic tank.