cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank flush

eocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to get water leaking into my tt while flushing my black water. It comes out of the check valve under the sink. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I turn the pressure on too high? The drain valve/plunger is always open. Thinking about removing the check valve and running direct. Any thoughts, advice.
My tt is a 2015 Grey Wolf 26bhe.
12 REPLIES 12

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of this happening. Thanks for the heads up.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
When I try to flush my black tank, nothing happens. Hook up the hose and turn on the pressure and the hose gets full but no flushing. Is it possible that the check valve froze closed and is now stuck? I suppose the best thing to do is start taking it apart to see what's going on.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer
Had this happen on my trailer's black flush anti siphon valve. Took valve apart..found 2 dead stink bugs that wedge themselves in a fashion that kept valve from closing. After removing this bug debris, reinstalled valve and has worked flawlessly since. I think dealer wanted around $40 for new valve.
2010 EVERGREEN EVERLITE 31RLS

2010 RAM 3500 SRW MEGA CAB 4X4 with 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Auto, 3.73 gears

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
eocamper wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
You are not doing anything wrong. Those anti siphon/back flow preventer valves are common failure items. Time to replace it.

Removing the valve is an option. But you need to use an external back flow prevention valve if you do to prevent the unlikely, but possible, backflow of water into the fresh water source.

Thanks for the reply. I thought this hose goes only to the black water tank. How is it possible to get into the fresh water source? Figured it was a connection to a hose with a check valve as a safety feature in the event you forget to open the black water drain valve that goes directly to the black tank.

The black flush is separate from the fresh water in the trailer but not the fresh water of the campground, that is what is being protected.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

eocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DO you use a water pressure regulator for city water hose AND black tank flush hose????

Yes...backflow preventer under sink leak. Some because they get cracked from freezing temps, some from high pressure being used (they have an air gap) that is how they break vacuum.

It really didn't don on me to use a pressure regulator to flush. Looks like I'll replace the check valve and go from there.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DO you use a water pressure regulator for city water hose AND black tank flush hose????

Yes...backflow preventer under sink leak. Some because they get cracked from freezing temps, some from high pressure being used (they have an air gap) that is how they break vacuum.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Codes require many water systems, lawn sprinklers for example, to have back flow preventers. When water pressure in the main water line is lost, water flowing out of the pipes at low points causes a suction in the higher levels that can siphon water back from any water line connected to it. Now that would not suck water from your black tank flush unless you were flushing at the same time water pressure were lost. Not likely, but certainly possible.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Check valves are because some fausets don't have back flow preventers

eocamper
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You are not doing anything wrong. Those anti siphon/back flow preventer valves are common failure items. Time to replace it.

Removing the valve is an option. But you need to use an external back flow prevention valve if you do to prevent the unlikely, but possible, backflow of water into the fresh water source.

Thanks for the reply. I thought this hose goes only to the black water tank. How is it possible to get into the fresh water source? Figured it was a connection to a hose with a check valve as a safety feature in the event you forget to open the black water drain valve that goes directly to the black tank.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It is normal for these valves to expel water. Just get rid of the stupid thing and make sure that the check valve works. RV manufacturers don't care where they place these valves or follow the instructions.

valve instructions

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, they are problematic. If you are using really high pressure, you could be causing the leak, as the preventer valve will slow the flow, and could cause leaks at the fittings.

I see you are in Tx, but if you were storing in cold weather, you need to blow out the flush line to keep the valve freeze protected.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad