cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackout bedroom blinds?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the typical accordion/pleated pull-down shades on our two bedroom windows. It's just not dark enough for us and we'd like to install some kind of blackout blinds. What are the options? 1/2" micro- mini blinds? Double cellular type? Roller type? There are some options from this vendor but not sure what would work best. Just blinds

The micro-mini blinds look interesting but I guess they'd have to have the little holes at the bottom to go into the clips on the wall. I also wonder how much light would get through all the slats?

We also have an exterior door in the bedroom and there's no blind or shade on it. Is there a way to mount a decent mini-blind or shade between the screen door and glass?

Last summer when the sun came up it was like having a searchlight in our eyes. We ended up putting cardboard over the 3 windows. Looked pretty cheesy from the outside and there's got to be a better way.
21 REPLIES 21

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Cedar Creek we went to the automotive department of Wal Mart and bought a roll of window tint that is normally used on car windows. It was easy to apply on trailer window. Now we have a Wildwood Lodge Destination trailer. It has a patio door. This door faces East on our seasonal site. We went to Menards and bought dark window tint and put it on the patio door. It keeps the morning sun out but we can also still see out the door.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We like it dark also. I went and looked at RV blinds online. Go ahead and call me cheap but I am going to make curtains with a black out backing.

The blinds collect dust badly and being OCD and insist on things clean I can imagine the amount of dust they collect.

Make drapes, not only less expensive but they can be washed easily.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I like it DARK when I sleep. I cut corrugated plastic (cant remember the name) painted one side black and used Velcro to attach to window frame. Same with the ceiling vent
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a window shade break and for a temp fix until I got to an RV store I went to Lowes and in the window department they have these paper pleated shades.

They come in white, partial dark and blackout dark. I think they cost about 8 dollars. Cut them to fit to size. Clips to fold them up and down.

The top has a removable adhesive strip. I'm thinkin ya that strip will hold it for maybe about a couple days. :R

Fast forward 2 years!! That little pleated paper shade is STILL hanging on the window above my sink. It looks good and I never repaired the original blinds that clanked all the time anyway.

I went back and bought the black out dark ones and put them under the day/night shades for when I really want it dark in the bedroom when I RV to sporting events where there are always huge overhead lights.
We also have an exterior door in the bedroom and there's no blind or shade on it. Is there a way to mount a decent mini-blind or shade between the screen door and glass?

I also put one on the entrance door over the glass in the inside. Just sticks right on along the top. That one has been on for over 2 years too!

Just looked for picture to post and they now have a website now.
http://redishade.com/store/index.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
I made new curtains from black out Eclipse panels. Got mine at WalMart. Just pull them across the window and it's DARK. Also helps keep heat out when the sun is shining in and warm in when it is cold.
gloriebkj

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
We cut Reflectix to fit in the window. The window frame holds it. Just remove when not needed.
Buy Reflectix at home depot.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Use a couple paper binders from any office supply store and just clip a bath towel over the window. Take it down in daylight, put it up after dark. Takes 10 seconds and works well. And it's a LOT cheaper than purchasing new blinds! We do this quite often.

(Plus it dries your towel after tanking a shower!)