Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLACKSTONE 280RLSB AIR COND. ISSUE

trucker495
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
Have2016 Blackstone 280RLSB with the Coleman mach. 13.5 BTU. AC unit. It will not cool the trailer below 85 degrees on a 98 degree day! It is currently in the shop and coleman states that it is within specs. With a temp of 85 degrees inside the unit is putting out 65 deg. air.Seems to me it should do better than a 20 degree temp drop. The trailer is really well insulated and I am really disappointed that it will not cool like I think it should. Outdoors RV agrees with coleman tech. services that it is performing within specs.

previous trailer was a 04 alumascape with 15K carrier AC and it would keep us comfortable in 100 degree+ weather. Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas why I am having this problem? Appreciate any help you can provide. Momma ain't camping if she can't stay cool.
Thanks much,
Kyle
04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED
13 REPLIES 13

Community Alumni
Not applicable
By all means don't take my word for it, have a chat with an actual HVAC tech. A 40 degree exchange would be considered excessive for these units. With such a high temperature differential that would be a good sign that the unit is lacking sufficient airflow.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
proxim2020 wrote:
The 20 degree temperature difference isn't a hoax perpetrated by Coleman. A 15-22 degree drop across the coils is a commonly accepted standard throughout the entire HVAC industry. The outside ambient temperature isn't what's important.

What's important is the temperature of the air that the unit sucks in and the temperature that the unit blows out. Since these units are recirculating the air within the trailer, the intake temperature would be the ambient temperature inside of the trailer. In the OP's case the intake temperature was 85 degrees and the unit produced 65 degree air, so it's working correctly. If a unit is undersized for the space or not plumbed correctly then the unit will not be able to keep up. It won't be able to produce enough conditioned air to lower the temps in the current conditions.

I still don't buy it. I can take my 90 degree temp Travel Trailer, Automobile, or House, and within 2 minutes get 50 degree air coming out of the vents. The space has not cooled down that much yet. It is still 87 degrees in that space.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The 20 degree temperature difference isn't a hoax perpetrated by Coleman. A 15-22 degree drop across the coils is a commonly accepted standard throughout the entire HVAC industry. The outside ambient temperature isn't what's important.

What's important is the temperature of the air that the unit sucks in and the temperature that the unit blows out. Since these units are recirculating the air within the trailer, the intake temperature would be the ambient temperature inside of the trailer. In the OP's case the intake temperature was 85 degrees and the unit produced 65 degree air, so it's working correctly. If a unit is undersized for the space or not plumbed correctly then the unit will not be able to keep up. It won't be able to produce enough conditioned air to lower the temps in the current conditions.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coleman Mach units suck. PERIOD. My unit can put out 50 degree air on a 90 degree day. The whole only drop 20 degrees thing was a hoax designed by Coleman to cover up there really. really, poorly designed units. My brother had one of those Coleman units on his 5th wheel once and when I took the cover off I could see how poorly it was designed.

Your never going to get the Coleman Mach unit to work right.

Sorry to tell you this.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keeping a trailer cool in really hot weather takes some prep..Jayco's climate control and the test they did are interesting to me..They took there unit into a controlled atmosphere of 0 degree's and 100 degree's with impressive results,but it was just a test...

The Blackstone is touted as a well insulated trailer....Note in the quote while the Jayco Eagle maintained 70ish degree's at 100 outside temp,they warn the manufacturer of the air conditioner unit claims a 20 degree difference...

*Unit was tested in 0 degrees F and 100 degrees F weather over an extended period of time in a controlled environment and all functions of the coach were fully operational. Testing was done in a completely controlled environment, therefore temperatures during testing may not represent actual temperatures in nature and cannot account for elements such as wind or moisture. In actual use, unit may not perform as well. Supplier of cooling components does not guarantee anything better than 20 degrees difference from ambient temperature. In addition, outside components are subject to freezing and require steps to properly insulate. Jayco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by freezing.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
99 today, trailer is in driveway with stat set at 84 deg. Runs and cycles aboot every 10-15 minutes. Haven't had any complaints, but then we don't camp with elec often, mostly in the woods at high elevations, with comfortable temps.

I'm sure if we were staying in it now, with the high 90's temps we're having, it would be adequate. We keep our house at 76 degs in summer and never felt that's too warm!!!

And, our T/Ridge is almost all white!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

trucker495
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input. Shop found some air leaks and the performance improved. Tucquala, How well does your AC work in 100 degree heat?
Happy trails
Kyle
04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I think 13.5 is just too small for that size trailer with the dark skin like the Blackwood has.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the A/C intake grille and check that the inside is sealed up around all edges. Quite a few rv's have had the seams around that intake box with gaps into the return casing. Makes the cold air go round and round, less air going to the duct work. If such is found, should help some!!! Our Timber Ridge had gaps on three sides and air flow and cooling was much improved when sealed up with aluminum duct tape.

Also, you have a lot of black on that model trailer, which doesn't help with reflecting heat!!! Really don't understand the trend to dark colors in rv's nowadays!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Community Alumni
Not applicable
An exchange of 20 degrees is just about all you can expect from any A/C system, including ones inside of a home. With temperatures so high and that long of a trailer, a second AC might end up being your best bet if you have that option. I wouldn't bother swapping out the 13.5k for a 15k. A single 13.5k may work if you can get in some shade, turn it on early, and let it run all day. Even then you'll still see some creep in the temperature as the day gets hotter, but it shouldn't become unbearable. Vents and skylights are pretty much uninsulated holes in your roof. Vent pillows can help even if you are in the shade.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's parked in the sun have you done anything to mitigate heat gain? Is the filter clean? Are you running it in constant high fan to prevent icing? Is it icing up?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
If Outdoors RV and Coleman are saying the AC is operating within spec then maybe the issue is you have too large of a trailer for the single 13.5 AC unit?

Bumper to hitch coming in at 35ft means that you probably have a livable space of 32ft or so.

Are you running the AC off of shore power or a generator? If so are you running 15amp or 30? On the generator it would be helpful to know as well what you are using.

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/black-stone-280rlsb/
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no expert, but I have always had my A/C be able to lower the temp at least 20 degrees from the outside temp. I have not had this problem with my Blackstone. Is it Outdoors RV or the dealership that agrees with Coleman? I had problems with the dealership and the factory resolved all my problems.