cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ox Sway Pro reviews

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We may be changing trailers. New trailer will be 30 ft. and 10K GVWR (Arctic Fox). Presently am towing with a Reece Dual Cam.
I am open minded and am looking at the Blue Ox Sway Pro.

I would really appreciate any advice, experience, pros or cons on this hitch.
Thanks.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
21 REPLIES 21

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first and only WD/Sway system. It is awesome. Very simple to use and only 3 parts that are very clean- Hitch, both bars. I am glad my dealer sold me this unit vs some of the others. Plus you can backup with it attached no problem.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.
Thanks to all who posted. Lots of good info from you all...much appreciated.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Community Alumni
Not applicable
3oaks wrote:
I looked at them. My concern for my TT is which weight class model?
My new TT 10,000# gtw. If loaded to the max, which I doubt I would ever be, would have a tongue weight of 1200-1400# range.

There are only two possible Blue Ox models to choose from:
Blue Ox Sway Pro model 10,000 gtw - 1,000 tongue weight.
Next closest model is 15,000 gtw - 1,500 tongue weight.

Nothing in between. The fist one is to light of tongue weight rating. and the second may be too stiff being rated for 15,000 gtr.

I spoke to one of techs at Blue Ox about a similar situation. From what he said if you're planning on barely going over 1,000 lbs, like 1,040 lbs, then the BXW1000 would be ok. If you're heading towards 1,100 lbs or over then the BXW1500 would be a much better choice. He said it wouldn't ride too stiff with 1,100 lbs on the 1500lbs bars.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using the 15000lb model towing an Artic Fox 26x with a new F250. At interstate speeds, 2 lane or more you need to keep an eye on the go pedal. In addition to the Hitch, I've installed the Dexter EZ Flex Spring kit to the trailer. The Hellwig 5800lb Air Bags and the Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar. Stability has never been an issue.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
....snip...... My Blue Ox is simple, clean, quiet, and effective. As mentioned the hitch head is heavy, but heavy duty.

This is my opinion of it too. About 25,000 miles of towing with it. Works well.
The hitch head does weigh 68 pounds, so some may find that "heavy", because it is a bit of an awkward position to lift it and insert or remove from receiver.

snarkee
Explorer
Explorer
Love mine
2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd
2021 Rockwood Ultralite 2891bh

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for the replies.

If I go with Blue Ox Pro, I will get it with the 1,500# bars.

The wheel base on my truck is 145".

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I had 1,000lbs bars (what the trailer place gave me) and then bought 1,500lb bars afterwards when I found out my tongue weight was around 1,350.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
My concern for my TT is which weight class model?
My new TT 10,000# gtw. If loaded to the max, which I doubt I would ever be, would have a tongue weight of 1200-1400# range.

Nothing in between. The fist one is to light of tongue weight rating. and the second may be too stiff being rated for 15,000 gtr.

It's not the gross weight of the trailer that should determine which spring bars you should use but rather the trailer's anticipated gross tongue weight. Either weigh your trailer as it would typically be loaded for a camping trip OR based on the trailer's stickered dry weight estimate what it typically would weigh, based on what you know you add in preparation to go camping. 13% to 14% of that gross trailer weight is a good range to target as gross tongue weight ... if that number is more than 10% over the rating of the 1000 lb spring bars then go to the 1500 lb bars. Blue Ox clearly doesn't feel it's necessary to offer spring bars rated between 1000 and 1500 lbs, there's no reason for you to be concerned about it either.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love my Blue Ox sway pro. I have used it for 4 years and it works great.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Reese WDH with friction, Reese Dual Cam and now the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I went with the 15,000/1500 Blue Ox because if I maxed out my TT my tongue weight could be close to 1400#s.

I just completed a 2200 mile trip on I-87, I-287, I-81 & I-40. I had a lot of tractor trailers pass me and experienced some pretty good crosswinds on I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley. I felt the Blue Ox Pro did a great job, no sway and very little effect from bow wave of large trucks. In my 34 years of pulling RVs, the Blue Ox is my favorite.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks - either would probably be fine. You would just need to take up an extra link or two with the lighter bars.

If you have a long wheelbase pickup, I'd probably go lighter, but if you have an SUV, van, or short wheelbase pickup than the heavier bars are probably a closer fit since the shorter the wheelbase, the more weight gets taken off the front axle when you hitch up.

I went with the 1500# bars which seem perfect for my trailer, which is normally around 11,000 pounds, maybe 12,000 when packed for long trips.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at them. My concern for my TT is which weight class model?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I've put about 5,000 miles on my SwayPro since last June. Maybe more. I had the Reese Dual Cam previously.

Both are good hitches. I like the rotating chain latches on the Sway Pro a lot, and it rides better due to the tapered spring bars However, it does not control the trailer as well as the Dual Cam. I most definitely feel the bow wave from trucks whenever there is a strong head or crosswind. The Dual Cam was far better in those situations, and honestly I would trust the Dual Cam to control sway better. But, the Dual Cam required minor adjustment anytime there was a big change in loading in either the van or trailer, and it won't work right if its not dialed in.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST