cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing extra fresh water.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I bought an inexpensive submersible pump, attached a piece of PVC and about 25 ft of hose to the PVC.

I have two of these 15 gallon barrels and carry them on my ATV trailer.

I bought this $10 12v battery off eBay to run the pump.

Fresh water transfer pump.

If I take both barrels with me plus what the FW tank holds it gives me 70 gallons of fresh water.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
23 REPLIES 23

Bedlam
I have two RV 42 gallon fresh water tanks in my my enclosed trailer and a transfer pump so I can wash off my toys and refill the the RV. With this type of camping, we use the exterior shower and a shower tent which keeps the gray tank level under control. My trailer also carries a 30 gallon waste tote if either RV waste tank starts to get full.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Great way of getting extra water. I like the 15 gal. size as you can still move them when full.

I have a 55 gal. barrel that we use on long boondocking trips and a standard RV shurflo pump. The pump gets carried as a backup for the RV and also to pump out of the barrel.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the two 15s because they fit in the bed of my older truck with my ATV in the bed too.

My old TT had a 40 gallon FW tank and my EX went thru water like we had an endless supply of it. She never did understand "conserve".

But I fixed that problem.

I bleach mine in the spring and don't store them in the sun.

When I got these the local Primeland co-op had a few of them they had put nozzles on the bottom to sell..They didn't sell well so they made me an offer for all of them I couldn't refuse..

At the time I had a 30ft TT we spent months in at a time and putting 100 gallons in the pickup was not a big thing..I also have the two 25 gallon bottles I used,plummed into the front propane setup of the TT..

Now with a truck camper,I am always on the move never staying long anywhere so the water barrels hardly get used other than hunting season..One reason I went back to another truck camper was to drive and explore wherever I want without worry of turning around with a TT on a dead end road...

We use backcountry water filters(Sawyer) for fresh drinking water and coffee if we run low in the TC..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Some RVs wouldn't handle that extra 600 lbs. very well.
Jayco-noslide

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I have several of these 25 and 50 gallon barrels I use for extra water with whatever RV I have at the time and extended stays..I use one at home also for that, oops the water went out moment..

I always do a bleach rinse before filling for use..

I went with the two 15s because they fit in the bed of my older truck with my ATV in the bed too.

My old TT had a 40 gallon FW tank and my EX went thru water like we had an endless supply of it. She never did understand "conserve".

But I fixed that problem. :B

I bleach mine in the spring and don't store them in the sun.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
What do you do with the extra water or is your freshwatr tank small? I’m lucky. My tank is 60 gallons.

My FW tank is 40 gallons. That lasts me a few days, maybe 4 days at the most.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have several of these 25 and 50 gallon barrels I use for extra water with whatever RV I have at the time and extended stays..I use one at home also for that, oops the water went out moment..

I always do a bleach rinse before filling for use..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do you do with the extra water or is your freshwatr tank small? I’m lucky. My tank is 60 gallons.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Looks like potential for lot of contamination.
Those batteries cost $15 new at Walmart. Free delivery.

March 2006

I've been doing this for years.
I guess if you're sloppy or an idiot there would be a risk for contamination.
Kenny