cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumper Cap

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Travel Trailer bumper (or sewer hose holder if you prefer) has a cap on the end that keeps falling off and getting lost. (So what else is new right.)

My old style cap has no tabs on the sides of it so it is just held in the bumper just by friction. (There is not much friction)

I thought about purchasing a style of cap with the tabs and drilling the bumper but, I see that there are other options.

One option is a cap with ribs on the side that looks like it would fit tighter.

The other option is a cap made by WirthCo that says after you put it in the bumper you press in the middle of the cap and somehow that locks it in place.

Will either of these other end caps work ? Should I just keep buying the original cheap cap that falls out once a year ? Or, should I just buy the one with tabs, drill the bumper, and get it the heck over with.

Thank You
33 REPLIES 33

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would just drill a hole through the bumper and cap both sides and get a small bolt and wing nut. Easy to do and secure.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I have the caps with round tabs. Drilled bumper ,works great.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I kept loosing the end-caps off the sewer hose bumper and purchased several replacements, just to loose them too eventually.

Finally, one day I had an idea, and I've been doing this ever since. I will admit, about a month ago I lost another cap, only because I was in a hurry and forgot to attach the bungie cords and I lost it on our way to South Carolina early March this year. I purchased another one from Wall Mart and even though it fits nice and snug, I also purchased some new bungie cords and replaced my old worn ones. Use these, I have never lost a cap. It's easy, and costs very little. Wall Mart sells these in a plastic bottle, like.... 20 to a bottle. I use them to keep my cabinet doors bungied together also, and for all kinds of other things. For the trailer bumper, this works GREAT!

The problem with drilling a hole and inserting a screw, is the screw INSIDE the bumper can tear a hose up. I don't keep hoses in my bumper, I keep metal rods and such, cleaning wand, and fire pokers.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My Travel Trailer bumper (or sewer hose holder if you prefer) has a cap on the end that keeps falling off and getting lost. (So what else is new right.)

My old style cap has no tabs on the sides of it so it is just held in the bumper just by friction. (There is not much friction)

I thought about purchasing a style of cap with the tabs and drilling the bumper but, I see that there are other options.

One option is a cap with ribs on the side that looks like it would fit tighter.

The other option is a cap made by WirthCo that says after you put it in the bumper you press in the middle of the cap and somehow that locks it in place.

Will either of these other end caps work ? Should I just keep buying the original cheap cap that falls out once a year ? Or, should I just buy the one with tabs, drill the bumper, and get it the heck over with.

Thank You

Drill the bumper, put hinges on one side and a hasp/latch on the other side..

May have to modify the cap a bit so it will swing out with the hinge but in the end a well worth it mod..

End of problem.