cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyer's remorse??

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm totally new to this site and RVING. Hubby is in the Navy and got orders to Virginia...we decided to take advantage of living on the other side of the country by traveling to all the neat places we've heard about. So buying a TT seemed like a no-brainer. We looked at everything from Class C to fifth wheel to ultralights. We decided to get a light TT so we didn't have to upgrade our vehicle. We have a 1500 suburban with a tow package that can pull 8100 pounds.

So after a year of looking we were in between the Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR or 34BHPR The bunk house and outdoor kitchen were requirements and both have them. So after a lot of thinking we picked the 34BHPR because it has more interior storage and we liked the kitchen layout with the island. (This was a really hard choice because the other model has an exterior door to the bathroom and it's 500 pounds lighter because it only has 2 slides we thought that was great too.) So, we put our down payment down and we are waiting for them to do the do the walk through with us next week when we take it home.

Now I'm waking up at night worried we picked the wrong one because of the island. I hadn't seen the inside with the slides pulled in until the day we bought it. When the slides are in you can't get to anything because the slides pull right up to the island and you would have to climb over it to get to the bunk house. And getting to anything in the kitchen or storage under the table isn't possible with slides in. So you can only get to the bathroom and master bedroom with slides in.

Is this going to be a big deal??? We are in Virginia and are planning on going all the way up to Maine and down to the Florida Keys. I'm scared I'll hate that I can't get to our stuff on long hauls. We usually pack a road trip cooler in the car when we travel so hubby doesn't think we'll need anything from the trailer when we're on the road. But I don't know since we're new to this. Please give me advice. I can still change my mind and buy the 31BHPR that doesn't have an island...the dealer will be mad...but we haven't signed on the dotted line yet. Thanks in advance for your help!
163 REPLIES 163

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
OK, last piece of advice. Get something YOU can drive too. Nothing worse than only having your husband be able to drive. If he gets sick or hurt you will be screwed.

Plus, as a family, you will sometimes need to cover a long distance quickly - think NY to FL to see Disney. By having both my husband and I drive, we are able to cover larger distances and it allows us to show our son more of this country. We did a 3 week, 6,000 mile roadtrip with the truck camper a few years ago. We covered 21 states in 19 days LOL. Did we do it "justice" - nope. But we did get to see what Nebraska looks like from the interstate... and dodge a tornado to boot LOL. We traveled a northern route on the way west and a southern route on the way home. Sure we only breezed through some states, but it was better than never seeing them at all to us. And we stopped at enough things along the way to make it memorable for us.

People said we were crazy to do it so fast, but as a young family with only 2 weeks vacation (took an extra week unpaid) we were just never going to be able to "do" it right like older couples can. Did my son miss out on not actually going into the St. Louis Arch (we only saw it from the interstate), maybe... but we read about it and he did get to see it with his own two eyes. And we did stop at Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Meteor Crater, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Cadillac Ranch, Las Vegas, Glenwood Canyon hot springs in CO, etc. I think we did a good job with the time we had. Enjoy your TT, whatever you choose. You will LOVE the lifestyle. So different from flying and hotels.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I also never needed all the space that larger campers offered inside (but I was SURE I did when I bought it). As far as cooking, we utilize the outdoors all the time. With the new one I made sure to have SPACE in my kitchen b/c was sure I needed it after having smaller trailers....

Annnnd I hated it b/c I found out I wanted to be outside so I could watch my kid on the playground and enjoy the atmosphere of the campground. We always tried to get a space close to the playground so I could watch the kid while my husband and I prepped dinner. With the larger inside kitchen I felt like I was isolated from all the fun and good weather. When we traded it in the microwave still had the plastic on the touchpad - I'd never used it once...

Smaller trailers kind of force you to "camp" more. But that can be fine depending on your travel style. I would rather carry a camping stove and set up an outdoor kitchen on a picnic table than be stuck inside - or tethered to an "outdoor" kitchen that some moron who has never camped a day in their life designed to "look" cool. that was another thing we found we really didn't use. We would much rather put the coleman stove on a table than be forced to stand facing the darn trailer ๐Ÿ™‚ I liked looking out at a nice view, not at the slab of fiberglass, while I am cooking. plus I can arrange my camp kitchen in many different ways to suite the camp site, i.e. put the EZ-Up on one side or the other, move it if a neighbor's campfire smoke is blowing my way, set it up on the other side of the trailer if it's windy. I just find it infinitely more useable than those so called "outdoor" kitchens made by camper manufacturers. but some people love 'em. You will have to decide your camping style for yourself.

Again, until you buy something and camp in it you will have no idea of what you will like. So buying something with the idea of not needing to upgrade is, while a good idea on paper, in reality is absolutely not practical once you try it. Ask ANY Rver how many rigs they have owned.... most will admit it took a few tries to get their perfect rig dialed in. Start small, and adjust up as needed.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never towed anything before I would seriously consider going shorter and smaller for your first TT. We were experienced RVers with small, used TT's. They were less wide and less tall than what is offered now.

We tow with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab Cummins Turbo diesel, plenty of hauling power. That was never the issue. But when we "upgraded" to a new, larger longer TT (26ft.) we both HATED towing it.

We had gotten used to having a small, light and easy to maneuver TT that we could park in smaller areas. The new TT was much taller and wider, as well as long. It caught the wind from passing trucks (even with sway bars) and it just wasn't the same fun, easy towing we liked even though the truck "could" handle it easily.

I always tell newbies to really think about what they like to do. We like to travel long distances and stay only a few days, up to one week, in one place. Smaller is definitely better in this case. You don't need all the comforts and space of home.... you are camping and recreating. Not living! So what if it's a little crowded on rainy days? Our family would watch movies or work on a puzzle. Not anything we ever did at home(the puzzles lol). But in a small TT is was fun and new and our son loved this. Even if we all had to snuggle on the bed to watch a movie, again, it was cozy and for a short amount of time totally doable.

If you want to stay for weeks at a time in one area you might want something bigger. But for us, it was all about seeing the country and we just didn't spend a lot of time in the TT except to sleep and shower.

We sold our "dream" TT that I had spent 7 years dreaming about less than 2 years after we bought it and downsized to a truck camper. Which we LOVE. One kid, one dog and 2 adults.

Our campers:

1st - 1980's used 18 ft. camper - used it for 7 years
2nd - Brand new 2010 26ft TT
3rd - 1965 birch wood 18ft. vintage TT (loved it but it didn't have a shower or AC)
4th - truck camper that fits in a 6.5ft. truck bed - most fun one we have ever owned for our way of travel.

Even with our larger truck I would get something less than 20ft if we ever get another TT because we LOVE using state parks and boondocking (in Walmart lots while en-route to a destination, in friend's driveways, in parking lots at sporting events, museums.) for free camping. State/local parks especially are just not always suited to 30ft+. campers. I find the large ones so very limiting. Plus I like saving money on the trailer part and using it to spend on the traveling part! We parked that 18ft. vintage camper in downtown Syracuse one weekend just so we could eat at Dinosaur BBQ. We found 2 parking spaces at the end of the street that were empty and DH was able to pull right in! when we left he just backed up slightly and pulled right out again. No way would we be able to do that with the 26ft. TT. People looked at me like I was CRAZY when I fed quarters into 2 parking meters. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to RV.net and don't hesitate to ask questions, everyone here is very nice.

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I did a quick search and came across keystones website. This trailer looks well suited to your Burb! Keystone passport 2670bh. Just to give an idea of what is available to you!

With the right gearing I would tow this with your Burb!

That's so funny, we actually started this stage of shopping by looking at this one. I think the sales guy realized we could afford to pay more and he moved us on up to the one I originally posted about.

We still like that one now that we're off our high horse of buying the big bullet premier.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I would not want an RV with no fridge access when traveling. We use the fridge at rest stops, and other areas when traveling. I would not want to have to put a slide out to get to it.

Jerry

same, we have really small TT, but we use it at rest stops every time. Can pack/prep our own meals, saves money and is healthier (usually) than the fast food places at rest stops.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a quick search and came across keystones website. This trailer looks well suited to your Burb! Keystone passport 2670bh. Just to give an idea of what is available to you!

With the right gearing I would tow this with your Burb!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Gambit80 wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
Campers like the one my wife and I have may not be ideal, but can handle 2 to 3 kids and the parents, while being very light. We have the camper below and tow it easily with a Ram 1500. Now it is smaller than you were looking for, but certainly more than a pop up. The two bunks and the dinette/bed can handle the kids with the queen bed for the parents.

Even if the Camplite is not for you, there are other similar alternatives.

Camplite 21BHS

I'll second the floorplan above. We first camped in a 2008 Keystone 19FLB, which is a similar floorplan with two 11 year old twin boys at the time. They always had at least one friend or cousin with them and we made it work. We did buy used and small as it was our first camper.

We got plenty of use out of it before finally upgrading this past summer. It can work with a small floorplan and still be fun.

I grew up camping in a small truck camper with 3 of us kids, 2 parents, and a minimum of 2 dogs at any given time. The youngest slept on the loveseat, the oldest and I slept in a fold out bunk above the dinette, and our parents slept in the cabover. The dogs slept on the floor.

Now, we were camping not RVing, so during the day we were outside, but I don't have any bad memories about those trips.

While separate beds are nice, when you're camping, having that warm body next to you can chase away the boogie man. Or at least you can throw your sibling at him so you can run away...

With the camplite, you could easily put 2 or 3 little ones on the bunks. Then move the oldest onto the couch in a sleeping bag. After that, they'd probably prefer to go sleep in a tent.

Oh, and as a middle child, I'll second the comments on 3 kids. It changes the dynamics so much. I've always said if you're going to have 3 kids, just go ahead and have 4 instead. With 3, there is always a "leftover" and that is most often the easy going child (who may be easy going but will never forget all the times you did). With 4, you regain the equilibrium. And after 4, there are always multiple kids being "leftover" so they don't really notice it.

This is great! RV advice and parenting advice for free..now I just need a free foot rub and a piรฑa colada...what group do I join for those? Lol! Thank you again to everyone for all the adice and suggestions. We r taking notes on all of it.

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

As an aside, a third baby is a game changer so proceed with caution. Literally a bigger change than #1 or #2, in my experience,

How much did my husband pay you to say that IdaD? Hahaha!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you happen to know your gear ratio offhand. I ask because that will make a difference in towing. If you have the proper gearing I see no reason you couldn't get a decent size true light weight trailer. Back in 05 we bought a Cherokee lite 28ft TT (31 foot total length and 5ยฒ00lbs dry). Loaded it was 6500lbs. I rowed that with a 97 Dodge conv. van with a 5.9L and 3.90 gears. I had no issues towing through the Rockies on a 3500 mile trip. I think you can find something that will fit both your family and suburban. It is just going to take some searching to find it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the third kid. We had two daughters and camped with a PUP. My son came along and changed the dynamics on several levels. Camper related we upgraded to a 26' non-slide bunk similar to the Camplite posted above. Five of us and a black lab did well in that camper. Enjoyed it for eight years.

We didn't upgrade to a 35' Outback until the two girls were out of the house and off payroll. It's like discovering an oil well in your backyard after raising and educating two girls.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of trailers out there that will meet your needs, just have to keep looking. As you find things that are a must have, make a note of them, same with the never haves. Check your list each time you are looking at a trailer. We actually carried the Sherline tongue scale with us when looking at trailers, if it met the other criteria, then we would weigh the tongue. It saved us more than once from buying one that was too heavy for our 2008 GMC Yukon XL. I looked at hundreds on craigslist and nickel savers (local ads)...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You could fit 3 kids, the two of you and a couple of dogs just fine into one of those rear slide models people are talking about.

SoundGuy wrote:
Well hold on here a minute ... that Outback Terrain doesn't offer 4 bunk beds at the front, in fact I'd question whether there are any being made these days.

IdaD wrote:
http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-feather/x254/

And no side slide. ๐Ÿ˜ž With 2 adults, 2 teens, and an 85 lb dog in our family we managed well enough in our non-slide Spree 240BH but no way would I expect to add another 2 dogs to the mix in any trailer that didn't have a side slide to open up the floor space. :E. This approach is also completely unnecessary when there are so many other options available in conventional travel trailers towable by the OP's Sub, offer comfortable sleeping arrangements for an adult couple and up to 4 kids, and with a dinette slide that creates plenty of floor space for all those dogs. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE with 2 teenagers. We pull it w/ a 2012 burb 1500. I haven't had us weighed yet, but I feel we are at our max. We don't put anything but phone new and a drink cooler in the burb. We travel dry also. The burb does a good job, but I'm not going up any mountains, just central/eastern NC. But we did a trip to Disney last summer w/ no problems. My biggest concern ncern was transmission temps, but even w/ 103 outside temp trans temp only got to 216 I believe.
Yes, I want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton, but for now it works. I air up all tires to the max recommended pressure and it helps a lot.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We strongly considered a rear slide, but ruled it out due to the narrow walking isle. Like someone said earlier, it has some compromises, but otherwise a strong contender.

How long of trips are we talking? If anything 4-5 weeks and less, I think you will be okay buying something that fits your Suburban's abilities.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
IdaD wrote:
You could fit 3 kids, the two of you and a couple of dogs just fine into one of those rear slide models people are talking about. Especially while the kids are young. You'd have a large king bed to sleep on that pops out of the back and they could have the bunkhouse with four separate bunk beds up front.

Well hold on here a minute ... that Outback Terrain doesn't offer 4 bunk beds at the front, in fact I'd question whether there are any being made these days. Quite a few years ago KZ did have a quad bunk bed rear glide but they were discontinued long ago and in fact KZ discontinued rear glide models entirely. Any I know of being manufactured these days will have a double bunk bed arrangement at the front and although the bottom bunk in some specific models may be wide enough to accommodate 2 young kids bunk beds in general are intended for just one person each. If the OP wants a really nice triple bunk bed mid size trailer they should be able to tow with their Sub they need look no further than the KZ Spree 240BHS, the slide version of the trailer I owned myself. Friends of ours who are experienced campers and have owned 8 trailers over the years have always said their 240 was the best trailer they ever owned. Another great option would be the Spree Connect C250BHS which features 2 double bunk beds - talk about the option to accommodate more kids as your family grows! :B

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-feather/x254/

Also in this model you'd sleep with your heads toward the back of the trailer so no climbing over each other to get out of bed (not directed at you, but another poster made that comment). I don't think Jayco is the only one making this floorplan and as you said there are also used models like the old KZ.

My sister and brother in law have been considering a rear slide model to tow with their Expedition EL so I've researched them a little bit recently. They have three kids also.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB