Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying an old trailer

Zacvv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm looking at purchasing an old 80s travel trailer. It's about 20ft long and it's been sitting in my buddy's yard for two years. What should I be looking at when I'm looking over it?
21 REPLIES 21

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. As you know now, check evidence of leaks. A small leak can do a lot of damage if not repaired.
Keep us updated on your project. There is a lot of information available on the forum, don't hesitate to ask.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ain't that the truth. Our first rv, a 1986 fiver, was cheap to buy but turned into a money pit.The roof leaked, the fridge and water pump quit, interior and external lights were a constant problem. We finally gave in and sold it for salvage. If you are not familiar with them, have an experienced rv tech look it over thoroughly and take his advise. Unless it has been very well cared for you are probably better off passing on it.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing you should look at is your savings account balance. You'll be tapping into it quite frequently if you buy a 35 yo TT.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely water damage, and also rusting chassis and frameโ€ฆ appliances can be expensive to repair or replace with the fridge being the most expensiveโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The biggest thing is leaks. If it has stains in the ceiling then it most likely has rot and mold too and these things, if even repairable, are a ton of work to correct.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Look for water/varmint damage. The trailer probably isn't worth anything except as a project for you. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Look over the roof!!!!! Look inside for any signs of moisture. Check hitch, tires. I would actually hook it up and check the lights also.