cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying my Hemi WAS a good idea

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I first became a diesel owner (2003 or 2004), diesel was almost always 10-15% cheaper than regular unleaded where I live. Then came ULSD, and the economy moved on. Diesel became the same price as gas around here. Then a few months last winter, diesel was 10% more than reg unleaded - sometimes more.

Well, time marches on, and the tables have turned.

Yesterday:
Diesel was $1.299/L ($4.91/gal)
Unleaded was $0.899/L ($3.40/gal)
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
64 REPLIES 64

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh I had my doubts when I ordered it, it was a bit of a gamble being unproven and all.

I did the research and thought it through, but there was no experience to draw on as it was a new power train choice. That's what I meant by that.

I guess I did the same with our 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk :).

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
@i516

I did not know that about the 6.4 which is awesome that it can run on the lower octane fuel. Thanks for clearing that part up.

When a post starts with, buying the Hemi WAS a good idea, I am sorry but it could suggest you as the poster had doubt if it was or not, if you have no doubt in what you bought that's great, it is a good feeling! I have no doubt in MY truck, that I did MY math on for MY purpose. Others may tell me that a different brand, transmission, gas, Diesel engine is better, but that's sounds like THEIR truck and not MY truck.

Bedlam
With your weight and usage, I would have also chosen the Hemi. My application is completely different and my new truck is dedicated to fun and getaways. Although I see some people trying to sway the decision of others, I also see many that have given great thought to their usage prior to buying and now a have a truck that fits their needs - I like to follow these threads for just this reason.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
kohldad wrote:
ib516, glad you are happy with yours. I'm making about the same move as you. When researching and calculating, the 6.4 made more sense for me too. I'm no longer towing heavy but am carrying heavy so needed the payload capacity. One look at the new diesel on a chassis cab revealed all of those sensors and emissions item which just yelled $$$$$$$$$$$ to me in the future after warranty runs out. The gasser will be a lot cheaper to repair if necessary.

I do have to correct you (or was it someone else?) that today's gassers pull just as good as today's diesels. That statement is wrong. But from everything I'm reading, today's gassers pulls just as well as the diesels we are giving up.

In regards to the Ike Gauntlet pull, I have no worries as the system was designed to reduce long term failure on the drivetrain. Notice that the rpm was held constant. My first thought was when they hit the steeper grade right before the tunnel, it would slow down but instead held the same rpm which showed it was computer holding it on. No need to run the engine back up to redline just to upshift, loose rpm in 2nd, drop back down to 1st then repeat. As soon as the grade eased off, the computer realized due to throttle level to maintain speed that it would be able to continue accelerate in 2nd, it let the rpms run up and then shift to 2nd and keep on going. Think it was some very smart programming on their engineers.

Really looking forward to when I finally get mine and start putting it to use.

Nope, wasn't me. I will say again, and have always said the diesels pull heavy loads better, and get better mpg doing it. For those who are full-timers, or pull very heavy loads often, the diesel will be a better choice. I'm not one of them.

When I actually thought my way through it, the truck is hitched to the RV the equivalent of about 5-7 full days per year. Even when we go on a 2-3 week vacation with the 5th wheel, we typically head to the mountains (1 day's drive), set up the RV "basecamp", then use the truck for hauling the mountain bikes, hauling the kayak, sightseeing, or taking us to hiking trails. Then we tow another full day home. Repeat that a couple more times per year, with some trips even less than a day's drive, and it adds up to about 7 days driving with the RV hitched. The other 358 days per year, the truck is a daily driver, commuter car, junk hauler, bike hauler, grocery hauler, etc.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
x96mnn wrote:

Most of what I see or here are the guys who bought the gas trucks trying convince themselves they made the right move. Really and truly I don't feel it matters, if your happy your happy. My only take from all this is some are still thinking they made the wrong move and that has to be a bad feeling, especially knowing the hit they will take on a trade in. Does not matter if it is gas or diesel you have, if your trying to create logic as to why you bought the truck you did, feel bad for you.

That spread in diesel and gas is crazy, your speaking in ltrs which makes me think your in Canada but usually diesel is cheaper. only 3 months out of ye year is diesel more expensive, starts around October and goes to January. When all the big trucks are hauling us thanks giving and Xmas supplies the price goes up then back down. Right now in Nova Scotia there is a 10 cent differance. 1.07 and a 1.17.

Also you are comparing regular and diesel. I had a 2011 5.7 Hemi and still had a charger rt, both called for 89 octane and not 87. My freind just bought a 2014 with 6speed auto and it calls for 89, are you running 87 in yours? I know plenty are doing it just wondering how it is working out, I would not switch my charger but my buddy may on his truck.

:h You're reading into my post things that aren't there. I don't regret my decision. It has proven to be the right one for me in my situation. Certainly not right for everyone, but it is for me.

The 6.4L Hemi truck engine calls for 87 octane only (it's right in the manual), not 89 like the 5.7L Hemi.

Yes I am in Western Canada. Diesel has been more expensive than gas (on average) here for the past couple years. I have owned both a gasoline powered vehicle and a diesel truck at the same time since 2003. I watch the prices carefully, and use a smart phone app to track mpg and running costs. I am very aware of what I pay and how much fuel I use. Many who have been on these forums with me for the past 11 years know that about me.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
x96mnn wrote:

Most of what I see or here are the guys who bought the gas trucks trying convince themselves they made the right move. Really and truly I don't feel it matters, if your happy your happy. My only take from all this is some are still thinking they made the wrong move and that has to be a bad feeling, especially knowing the hit they will take on a trade in. Does not matter if it is gas or diesel you have, if your trying to create logic as to why you bought the truck you did, feel bad for you.

Also you are comparing regular and diesel. I had a 2011 5.7 Hemi and still had a charger rt, both called for 89 octane and not 87. My freind just bought a 2014 with 6speed auto and it calls for 89, are you running 87 in yours? I know plenty are doing it just wondering how it is working out, I would not switch my charger but my buddy may on his truck.

I thought about it logically before I bought my truck, and realized I didn't need or want a diesel. Price really wasn't a huge factor, as we could afford either. We just don't need a diesel to tow a 7,500 pound TT. I just wanted more payload. Like the OP, the HEMI was the right decision for me.

Also, the 6.4L only calls for 87 octane, unlike the 5.7L.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really have anything to add to this thread except constant bickering.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
x96mnn wrote:

Seriously? Over the years on this forum I've read countless threads of people trying desperately to justify the additional cost their diesels. I'm on my second gasser after four Cummins Rams and six diesels total. I can afford a new diesel pickup. I don't want one. No regrets. No need to justify not needing a diesel pickup.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Gas is considerably cheaper than diesel here too, to the tune of almost .25 per liter or roughly $1 per gallon. Thankfully the US border is a quick drive down the road for us where we can cross and fill up for a much more reasonable price. Also my truck is not a DD so I don't have to fill it up nearly as much as I would if it was.

I agree IB that your truck is a perfect fit for you given your terrain, and especially the harsh winters you have there. Truth be known your truck would fit my needs as well, but I must say that I am loving my new Cummins, especially when towing in the extreme mountain passes around here! We are also looking at upgrading our fifth wheel to a triple slide Citation which is heavy so I will certainly appreciate the massive torque even more then.

Glad you are loving your new truck too. I loved the sound of yours in your videos (it is pretty tough to beat the sound of a V-8). Have you made any videos of the truck with your new exhaust?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
transamz9 wrote:

Just a few years ago the diesels were at what the Hemi is with a with the altitude handicap. If these diesels worked for the people you speak of then, why wouldn't they work now?

OK I'll bite
It's all about change.Needs change. Trailers change. Capability changes.

Much in the same way the OP left his original diesel for a gasser, because at the end of the day his needs and opinions changed.
There are people getting larger trailers that need more power than the current gassers produce.
Towing is not a one size fits all scenario,finances,terrain,towing frequency, RV size are all factors.
My 07 Dually does the job very well,but a 2015 model is more capable, more refined, and more expensive but it would do a better job hauling my current rig. If money were no object I would have a 2015 Dually, but in the real world we all have finances to balance.
I'am very satisfied with my 07 Duramax,but that does not make it the best or most capable truck available.
The Big 3 are continuously trying to build a better mouse trap. As a result both gas a diesels are becoming more capable.
Yes gassers are taking on loads that were once reserved for diesels. Duallys are taking on loads once reserved for MDT's.
Turbo charged V-6's are taking on loads reserved for 8 cylinders.
The beauty of it is there are lots of choices.
The real key is to listen to what others are doing and become familiar with all the available options vs. being stuck in your way with blinders on believing that only one way will work.
Don't shout down the changes and options but have an open mind.
Understand that engineering and technology is constantly advancing.
What is top of the line today may be obsolete in the future.
The lines between gas/diesel, 1/2,3/4,1 ton are constantly being blurred.
If we expand are minds and are thinking we will quickly realize that tow vehicles come in more shapes and sizes than ever before.
Figuring which shoes fits best is not as simple as it once was.

A track shoe is now capable of doing many things that combat boots used to do. We've just got to be open minded enough to try one on for size.:) Sooner or later we realize that track shoe is a lot more comfortable than a big ol' boot.
In the end I'm a die hard diesel guy used to nothing but combat boots,but I'm learning.
As my needs change there could be a gasser in my future........
I doubt it but I have learned never say never.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I drive very few miles anymore and if I just had to buy a new truck I would probably look closely at the big gas engines. At this point I prefer GM's 6.2 with 8 speed auto because it has more power and torque and no first gear RPM limits like the RAMs do.

Minor correction "Torque Management" is what RAM has otherwise they would destroy the drivetrain with so much torque.

Maybe you are talking about something I don't understand?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Only time will tell. If I don't have any driveline problems, then I will have made the right decision. If I have a lot of engine/transmission issues, then I may regret my decisions.

But right now, my wife wanted the gas for her reasons so she is happy with the purchase. And every guy knows if the wife is happy every one is happy. 🙂

Got that right! LOL!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only time will tell. If I don't have any driveline problems, then I will have made the right decision. If I have a lot of engine/transmission issues, then I may regret my decisions.

But right now, my wife wanted the gas for her reasons so she is happy with the purchase. And every guy knows if the wife is happy every one is happy. 🙂
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
What I am trying to say is that the lower mpg I am getting (about 25% less than my last 5.9L Cummins), is cost neutral for me & where I live, due to the fuel cost delta. I am happy about that.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that their choice of tow vehicle is "wrong", just that I am very happy with the choice I made, and if given the chance to go back and make the choice again, I would choose the 6.4L Hemi. It suits my needs perfectly.

It does a great job with my RV, has been 100% reliable (yes, it is still new), and provides something my Cummins rarely could....HEAT! 🙂

That spread in diesel and gas is crazy, your speaking in ltrs which makes me think your in Canada but usually diesel is cheaper. only 3 months out of ye year is diesel more expensive, starts around October and goes to January. When all the big trucks are hauling us thanks giving and Xmas supplies the price goes up then back down. Right now in Nova Scotia there is a 10 cent differance. 1.07 and a 1.17.