cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA camper titles?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We paid off our camper this year and never received a title from either the credit union nor DMV. Is it customary to expect one? When we move next year and I have to register the camper, I'm wondering how to handle this. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
29 REPLIES 29

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Dealer I bought from is out of business. I got a letter from the loan company saying that they have released interest. I do not have anything that looks like a certificate of origin. I do, however, have my signed contract when I purchased the camper.

If you were the original buyer, I'd call Eagle Cap and see if they can get you a copy. They should have all of the records for it.

My generation of Eagle Cap is no longer in business either.

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
If you finance your camper in the state of California usually the lender will make you register your camper through California Housing and Urban Development or HUD for short. They deal with mobile homes and Truck Campers although the people that work there never heard of a TC which is funny to me. There is one lady that works there that knows her stuff on TC's but I forgot her name. I paid cash for my camper but I registered it with HUD anyway just because it makes me feel better and my insurance company likes it too. It only costs a one time fee of about 30 bucks and you get a registration sticker to put on your camper. It well worth it in my opinion because now there is no question who owns it.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Dealer I bought from is out of business. I got a letter from the loan company saying that they have released interest. I do not have anything that looks like a certificate of origin. I do, however, have my signed contract when I purchased the camper.

If you were the original buyer, I'd call Eagle Cap and see if they can get you a copy. They should have all of the records for it.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
If you are ever needing to transfer to Oregon (please don't, the rest of the planet is moving here ๐Ÿ™‚ ), you'll need Certificate Of Origin to apply for a title here.

I didn;t buy a nice camper last year because of this. And Lance would only give a copy to the original selling dealer, and the dealer wouldn't order one for me or the owner because neither of us was the original owner.

So if you may ever want to move here, call your dealer or Eagle Cap and try to get a Cert of Origin for your files.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I actually am somewhat surprised that you can get a loan on a TC in a non title state. After all, it's basically a non secured loan. There is nothing to stop you for offering it for sale on Craigslist for example and just writing the purchaser a receipt. Since they don't need to register it in any way it seems as though the trail can disappear in a heartbeat.

Like a stolen computer possibly if the new owner requests service work on it, the loan company could pick up the trail, otherwise it seems to me it would just disappear.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
path1, your post sure makes sense to me. I really can not imagine anything more needed, and personally would expect a release of any "interest" in vehicle/TC.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it matters which state or lending place but...When we paid off our RV loan we never got anything either. Every year when re-newing the lic tab the lien holder name was still listed on registration. I asked licensing lady what to do about it. Following her instructions, I called lender (several times) with loan number and explained problem. And got zero results. Then I e-mailed the "big cheese" and got response of "my request" was processed. Couple months later I got letter in mail saying loan has been paid off and they no longer had any "interest" in vehicle. Took that letter back to lic place and they submitted the paper work "release of lien holder". Then I received a new registration from the state, with lien holders name removed.

The main reason I wanted lien holds name off it, was because of hassle I had selling parents car when settling estate.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
So, my original contract and a zero balance statement from the loan company might get it done?

Sure, why not?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
So, my original contract and a zero balance statement from the loan company might get it done?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Super_Dave wrote:
So, when I move to a State that requires registration, what do I provide them with?

Whatever they ask for.

Usually a bill of sale and any lien release paperwork is enough. Generally states have a process for issuing a vehicle title to vehicles that did not require titles in other states.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
When you paid off the TC, you should have received documents stating it is paid in full. If you did not, you should request it now. If you think about it, you are entitled a receipt, which should show ownership.

I have a bill of sale from the seller that I received when I bought my TC.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
So, when I move to a State that requires registration, what do I provide them with?

Move to Arizona where campers are cargo,no title
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. In California TC's are not titled. Thats one reason you don't have RV type plates for it, you just mount your truck license plate.