cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

calling all ford owners

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only interested in a ford. Please tell me what model/ year ford truck you use to haul your truck camper.

I'm looking at this used 2003 f350 dually, but i'm concerned with many negative reviews I've read about the 6.0L Diesel engine
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed
56 REPLIES 56

c1goncalves
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2004 F350 6.0 diesel crew cab Lariat long bed 4X4 SRW that had in the past 3 problems with EGR. The last one out of warranty costed me 8K. My truck only has 86K miles.
Just purchased a 2016 Lance 1062. For that I also purchased Vision 19.5" wheels and new tires to withstand 4500 lbs per wheel. The truck came with a rear torsion bar. I installed 4 Hellwig shocks and air bags.
End of April I am going to take my first trip with the camper. Prior to this the only heavier haul the truck did was to pull a 6000 lbs boat and even that not often as the boat sat in the water for the Summer.
I am going to try to take it easy and not push the engine. I drove the camper from NH to NJ with original tires and no problem. I bought the Vision because my tires could burst with the weight on a long trip.
We will see how the 6.0 engine will hold. We cannot predict things: my 2006 Mercedes Benz SLK350 with 63000 miles just threw a rod and the new engine cost me 10K. Who would think this would happen to a MB?
Last time I had the EGR cooler problem, the Ford dealer that fixed it told me in a very assured way I would not have any more problems with it. That was in 2009. People tell me they made modifications to the cooler and the chips that control it. I do not know anything about it to give you an intelligent answer. I am not a mechanic, I am an engine monitor. I just let my wife know the truck is not running.
Godspeed.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of Ford diesel horror stories here...
Consumer Affairs

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies . Lots of great info
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
As a quick addendum, I do run cetane enhancer (Ford's), Archoil additive, and Howe's anti-gel in the winter. I have used and still use occasionally Optilube instead, but the winter version does not handle the Idaho cold. Several posters have stated that 6.0's need oil and fuel additives and I agree. In fact, I would recommend them to any diesel owner.

DIY oil changes run me about $80-100 with full synthetic. Fuel filters are expensive and should be replaced based on mileage and fuel quality. If you gel in winter, replace them. Be sure to catch Diesel Tech Ron's online videos, may he RIP. He was a tremendous asset to the Ford diesel community.

My work in the transportation department allows me to drive lots of different trucks, especially pickups. I see lots of good things about the different makes, and lots of things I don't like, but I cannot say with any conviction that one manufacturer is head and shoulders above the others. Emotional brand loyalty colors much of the discussion on the internet, so take what people say with a good deal of skepticism. Nikon vs. Canon, Lance vs. Arctic Fox, there is something out there for everyone to bash.

A Ford is what I own so I feel like I can comment on how it has treated me. Everyone around here in ranch country is partial to Dodge -- back in Virginia they were Ford lovers. Where I work they like the Duramaxes. I just like trucks! : )
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Bedlam
cooldavidt wrote:
A diesel and any sort of 'extra' cab space reduces payload.

Diesel are good at proving torque. Torque is needed when pulling a load. You will be carrying a load not pulling a load.

Payload is the critical item.

You should buy a camper before the truck then you will know the payload the truck can carry before you buy the truck. If you are set on a 'big' camper you will need a 350 dually.

I have a 250 single and it carries my 10' rig nicely. With airbags and upgraded rims and tires.

My advice wold be to buy a gasoline standard cab.

The payload limitation on the F250 is due to the Class 2b limit of 10k lbs GVWR. The rear axle is loaded pretty much the same whether you have a standard cab or crew or whether have a diesel or gasser. If you watch your rear axle capacity and choice of tires, the rest of the truck really doesn't matter because the rear axle will get about the same amount of weight.

For those forum members that are in a province that takes GVWR labels as legal limit, they should be the only ones concerned. The rest of the members can register for their desired weight and pay for their share of road wear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 F350 6.0 and it has served fair. Dropped a glow plug in cylinder at 60k and the motor was replaced. Had it bulletproofed and have had great luck since. Tows and hauls great. Both motors like a lot of attention. Oil and fuel additives seem to be a must. Oil changes (DIY) with full synthetic Delo and Rev-X run about $180. We use Optilube fuel additive and have had great luck with the combo regarding injectors. It is more expensive to run/maintain than our 7.3 or Dodge were. We run a lot of miles. my next one will be the 6.7, if the current positive feedback continues.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
A diesel and any sort of 'extra' cab space reduces payload.

Diesel are good at proving torque. Torque is needed when pulling a load. You will be carrying a load not pulling a load.

Payload is the critical item.

You should buy a camper before the truck then you will know the payload the truck can carry before you buy the truck. If you are set on a 'big' camper you will need a 350 dually.

I have a 250 single and it carries my 10' rig nicely. With airbags and upgraded rims and tires.

My advice wold be to buy a gasoline standard cab.

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper1942 wrote:
I have a 2008 f350 shortbox crew cab with the 6.4 litre diesel. Heard lots of bad reviews but Ive done lots of big trips with my camper and my 5th wheel with no major problems. Love it.
Agree 100% and have the same year truck. Mine is an '08 F350 Super cab long box. with the same engine and I have owned it since new. Initially I was having de-rating issues due to the DPF so I went out and bought the H&S Mini Max tuner and deleted. Best move I ever made. Since then the engine and truck have been terrific. religious oil changes and fuel filters (both) and cetane added every fill. Turn off the EGR and I will remove the EGR's this year as well.

Naysayers say I bought the wrong year and I will admit I wish I had the 6.7 for its quiet, but I have more power than I need, get decent mileage (Highway of 14 mpg with the camper on) and no major (or even minor) maintenance so far.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 f350 shortbox crew cab with the 6.4 litre diesel. Heard lots of bad reviews but Ive done lots of big trips with my camper and my 5th wheel with no major problems. Love it.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Navastar had the 7.3 down to a science. When Ford decided to build the 6.0, issues began.

The 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 liter Powerstrokes were all built by Navistar. Due to the poor reputation of the 6.0 and 6.4, Ford decided to take the motor in house and designed and built the 6.7 that premiered in 2011 and is still in use today.

I'll stand corrected then. Maybe it was the advent of the pollution controls that made it less that reliable.

All I know is my 1997 OBS 7.3 runs like a top and gets 21 on the highway unladen.

No pollution stuff on mine. Even has a road draft tube.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
Due to the poor reputation of the 6.0 and 6.4, Ford decided to take the motor in house and designed and built the 6.7 that premiered in 2011 and is still in use today.

The 6.7 was under development before the 6.4 had any reputation. I think it's more than likely that Ford had the 6.7 in development because of the lawsuits with Navistar in respect to the 6.0.

The main issue with the 6.4 is the DPF. The first generation DPFs for all brands were pretty horrible.

Also, if you read Ford-trucks in the time frame of 3-4 years ago, you'll know there was a split between which engine people preferred between the 6.4 and 6.7. I know that's the case, and I've pointed that out on Ford-trucks. All you need to do is a few searches to validate. Otherwise, I would have gone 6.7.

The 6.4 will never have the following of the other engines since it was not produced as long. Sure, there are a few people out there that absolutely hate the 6.4, but it's revisionism at it's best. Again, read about the the 6.4 with threads 3-4 years ago. The latest ones slant almost all negative for the hand full of people who still have one. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
lucasland wrote:
I'm only interested in a ford. Please tell me what model/ year ford truck you use to haul your truck camper.

I'm looking at this used 2003 f350 dually, but i'm concerned with many negative reviews I've read about the 6.0L Diesel engine

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd either opt for a '03 or older 7.3 or an '11 or newer 6.7. The 6.0s can be quite reliable if they have been bullet proofed, but I'd avoid a 6.4 at ALL costs.

My previous truck was a '96 7.3. Although it didn't have much power, that motor never let me down, and the valve covers had only been off once around 100K miles to replace the glow plugs. I sold it last summer with 205K miles and it was still running strong.

My current truck is a 6.7 and it impresses me every time I drive it. The ride, quietness, and power are leagues above my old 7.3. The 6.7 is also proving to be a pretty solid motor; about as close to the reliability of a 7.3 as you'll get.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Navastar had the 7.3 down to a science. When Ford decided to build the 6.0, issues began.

The 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 liter Powerstrokes were all built by Navistar. Due to the poor reputation of the 6.0 and 6.4, Ford decided to take the motor in house and designed and built the 6.7 that premiered in 2011 and is still in use today.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 F-250 6.0 was a great truck. It hauled my lance camper and then a TH FW for over 40k miles with never an issue. 2005 suspension was updated for heavier loads compared to 03 and 04 models. I am amongst the minority as I wouldn't run from one. Price is usually low enough that you can "bullet proof" if necessary. May also get one like mine that needed nothing. If I hadn't switched to the MH I would still be driving the 2005 6.0.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
6.0 is a crapshoot. Some are fine some need work, Some stretch head bolts, some perforate head gaskets, some have EGR issues.

Myself, I prefer the 7.3 which I own. No issues whatsoever except the cold start turbo bypass which I eliminated with a Riff-Raff delete pedestal.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB