cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Bumper Rub Strip Coming Unglued

firestorm411
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 10.6 Bigfoot TC and after 10 years, the rubber rub strip on the bumper has come unglued. I have removed the rub strip and cleaned up the bumper, however, I'm not looking forward to the task of removing the butyl tape from the rubber strip itself. Before I start this awful task, has anyone on the forum have any advice or experiences to share? Should I try to remove the old butyl from the rubber, and what should I use? Should I try to find a new strip of rubber? Is butyl table and silicone the best way to adhere the rub strip to the aluminum bumper. Here are two pics to show you my issue. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

7 REPLIES 7

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Just did a repair like that. I used GOOP.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I would use 3M VHB tape, do the prep properly and it should do the job.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
another thing I have found to affix things in place ( that I can, with effort, remove later) is GOOP marine adhesive, easy on and stuff stays in place no matter how bad the weather. I got it at West Marine but Amazon and Home Depot Carry it
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

firestorm411
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I think it is likely that you can scrape the double sided off the rubber, or use some light heat with a hair dryer. Then, use some good adhesive remover and clean with alcohol. Follow that up with good double sided 3m tape or similar from an auto parts store. I'd put masking tape to mark where it should go before applying the rubber.

Thanks for you comments. I tried using a low setting on my heat gun on short section (~ 6") of the moulding and was able to remove a significant amount of the two sided tape. Based on this experiment, I think it would take a good part of a day to get the moulding clean enough to attach two sided tape to it and reattach it to the bumper. Bottom line though, i think your approach would work.

I have also contacted Bigfoot and they believe that they still have some of this moulding material with the two sided tape already attached. I will ask them the price for the moulding and then make my decision on which way to go.

Thanks for your help, JimH

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is likely that you can scrape the double sided off the rubber, or use some light heat with a hair dryer. Then, use some good adhesive remover and clean with alcohol. Follow that up with good double sided 3m tape or similar from an auto parts store. I'd put masking tape to mark where it should go before applying the rubber.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

firestorm411
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
How about looking for long piece of metal threshold or angle and screwing it down? I replaced my whole back step tape with a piece of diamond plate.

Thank you for your comments, Super Dave. Do you have a picture of what you did? I had been thinking that this might also be a good time to think of installing a "porch" or new bumper with an integrated step.

Any more ideas out there?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
How about looking for long piece of metal threshold or angle and screwing it down? I replaced my whole back step tape with a piece of diamond plate.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk