cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper fall down. Nothing but pride hurt. And jacks.

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
This all happened on a Wednesday before my first camping trip.

Well, I put a flat bed on my pickup. Before the flat bed, the camper just barely went higher then the truck. After, I needed about 3 inches.

I had the idea that all I had to do was put some 4x4's under the feet and it'll work out fine (Had done this with a smaller camper I had).

Wrong, the back leg kicked and over it went. Luckily I had the truck under the front for support, which kept it from toppling even worse, and even more luckily I had just rebuilt the read portion this spring, adding full 2x6 framing in the rear floor.

No damage to the camper framing. Some light aluminum bending, but otherwise just destroyed my jack plates and three jacks.

I put the last picture up on facebook, and a buddy stopped by. We used boat jacks and a floor jack to raise the camper. When done with that, he helped me put some galvy pipe into the jacks and extended the jacks high enough to load onto the truck. This is something I should have done first... I had done the same thing for my last camper and I knew better.

Thankfully I had some steel angle thick enough to act as a jack plate, and my friend Dion had just given me some old camper jacks he had lying around. By Friday afternoon, I was on the beach!

Its been a great summer on the beach, even if I am very leery about loading the damned camper now.

16 REPLIES 16

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Now thats the way to do it. Lower instead of raise! I know its a nono to leave the camper stored with jacks extended, but I re purposed a scaffold and some 4x4's to support the camper on. I dont lowere or raise the whole thing more than 5 inches anymore. Seems ok for now, but in a big storm I may lower it down a bit more.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Glad no one was hurt and everything worked out ok.Bottom line truck camper jacks can be a bit dangerous and risky even under ideal conditions.They always made me a bit nervous if the wind was blowing or the ground was uneven or soft. After owning three truck campers over the years,I finally found a solution.I have a work shop with concrete floor.First I installed a larger and taller rollup garage door so truck and camper could be backed inside.Then I found on CL two large used laminated wood beams 24 inches by 5 inches and long enough to span the 24 foot width of the building.With the help of my brothers small crane we installed them between the roof truses just inline with the jack plates on each side of the camper.Next I went to HF and bought four 1 ton chain hoist,they were having a sale and with a 20 percent off coupon the cost was about 160 dollars for all four.Now I literally swing the camper from the roof beams.No more problems with swing out jack brackets for the wider flat bed and dually,lifted truck no problem,camper can be raised and lowered as much as I wish even all the way down flat on the floor if needed.Alignment when backing under to load is not nearly as crucial as you can simply push and swing the camper with one hand while lowering the hoist with the other and guide camper into position between the centering guides bolted to bed floor.But most importantly we have eliminated the wobbly jack problem.I realize this might not work for everyone,just our solution and something to think about if you are possibly considering building new storage for your camper.
Ramp
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you get another kayak in the top canoe???? Looks good!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Damn scary stuff there, but I'm glad it worked out for you. I'd have been a complete wreck if that happened to me. Great rig you have there though!
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
No harm, no foul. Thanks for sharing and having such a terrific outlook on your situation. Love flatbeds.

Happy camping.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback on the flat bed. Its cost 2500 and I bought it locally in Ma. Cost less than fixing the original bed that i smashed up (Backed into a tree trying to avoid a head on while pushing snow. Second time I would have had the bed side replaced) I absolutely love it! Apart from using it with the truck camper, I do light hauling and trash removal for extra money and its perfect. It also holds a small flotilla

Crossroad Trailer Website

Ive been looking for corner jacks, but they are few and far between here. Used, good condition Truck campers are kind of rare in the Northeast and parts sell quick. I was lucky to have access to extra jacks. Im not sure if anyone noticed, but when I re jiggered everything I added a 2x8 along the bottom side plates for more rigidity and it will serve as part of the framing for under cabinets, and I added a fourth Jack. Having only three was why the camper toppled (Aside from my stupidity anyways)

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I would not want a camper that has only three jacks. Nor would I have jacks that are only attached underneath the wings. There is a reason the attachment points run up along the corners for a ways on TCs now a days.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
johnhealey1776 wrote:
This all happened on a Wednesday before my first camping trip....

I had done the same thing for my last camper and I knew better.

Alls well that ends well?

Yes-even self acknowledging what we might be doing at a given moment not the brightest idea we've had all day..and then continue on anyway, most of us have done it. Glad there was no substantial damage to camper. Fessin' up might give someone else reason to pause.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No one was hurt, very little damage and you made it to the beach.
That's a story with a happy ending.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Just glad noone was in the way! We all do silly dumb stuff, but we learn. Looks like you had a good time at the beach.

Nice flat bed.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Did you make your flatbed? Or where did you get it?
Cal

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Nice recovery!!!
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your misfortune, glad you made it all work out. Just like when we were kids, fall scrape your knee, brush it off and get back to it. Love that new bed, I've thought of doing the same.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would really like the idea of using the flat truck bed. This sure looks like you can gain some precious storage area. I always thought I would get a Truck Camper but storage space was always a killer for me. I would definitely be pulling a utility trailer behind the truck camper.

I'm guessing you were not able to use the standard TC side jacks - perhaps the flat bed gets in the way... These would allow you to just back under it with the truck bed and then let down the jacks????

Would have been a piece of cake using these four TC jacks like shown in these two google photo...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS