cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camper tail lites

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Probably shorted trailer wiring took out both the trailer tail lights and the camper tail lights. I found and removed an exposed wire.

But I can't get the tail lights back. The tail lights on the truck are working, but not on the camper or trailer. I found a fuse in the camper labeled running lights but it seems intact. I changed it anyway with no effect.

I wonder if the truck feeds the trailer circuit from a different source than the regular truck tail light wiring? It's a 2013 F350 SD.

I'm thinking maybe the camper tail lights get power from the truck trailer wiring instead of the truck tail light wiring. That might explain why the truck lites work and the camper's don't. Anyone know?
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4
Alpenlite 9.5 Cheyenne slide-in
6 REPLIES 6

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not, but wouldn't have hurt to try. Wasn't a fixed short but an occasional intermittent. Even before I found the bad wire it passed the VOM resistance test.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
WAM wrote:
Yeah, I can confirm now that it was an underhood trailer running lights relay fuse. (not a relay -- fuse to a relay)

On a late F350 it's in space #26, it's 30amps (pink)and is a shape I was unfamiliar with. Basically a 1/2" cube with a translucent lid so you can see the traces between a pair of solder dots. The local autoparts store had it. This one is called low profile as there is a similar one 50% longer. No idea why.

Now I just hope the damaged section of wire I replaced is the only fault.

You can check the wire with an ohm meter before plugging into the truck wiring.

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I can confirm now that it was an underhood trailer running lights relay fuse. (not a relay -- fuse to a relay)

On a late F350 it's in space #26, it's 30amps (pink)and is a shape I was unfamiliar with. Basically a 1/2" cube with a translucent lid so you can see the traces between a pair of solder dots. The local autoparts store had it. This one is called low profile as there is a similar one 50% longer. No idea why.

Now I just hope the damaged section of wire I replaced is the only fault.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
The Dodge even has L and R fuses under the hood...more fuses...I keep a packet of all types in the camper at all times...it has come in handy...neede one for water pump yesterday. Go Figure!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I think I'm making progress. The trailer takes power from a separate family of "trailer fuses". The camper draws it's power from that same trailer wiring.

So if the trailer blows a trailer tail-light fuse, both the trailer and camper will lose the lights. But not the truck. I think I found the bad fuse, but it's a weird shape and I have no spares. Off to the auto parts store.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lights will get power from the truck. Are any lights including running lights working? You probably should also check the truck fuses.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member