cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water pump?

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
The water pump seems to run constantly in our '14 Cougar... 15 minutes before I shut it off.
Any ideas why?
11 REPLIES 11

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Also assuming you are aware that the water pump is not necessary to be ON if you are connected to CITY WATER. The city water will pressure up your water system.

I only use my on-board water pump to pressure up my water system when I have water in the fresh water tank. My water pump inlet has no connection to the city water connection.

I leave my WATER PUMP switch in the OFF position unless I am off the power grid and have water in my fresh water tank.

This is a simplified drawing of a typical water flow setup...

Roy Ken

Quick point of clarification, since I haven't had mine apart (yet. I'm sure that day is coming, too). I've always thought the check valve for the water tank feed was on the pressure side of the pump, not the intake. Am I wrong about that? Thanks.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
There are some variations on how different units are plumbed, but here are some things to look at.
If your pump has a plastic bowl type filter on it, check it for cracks. The water heater relief valve could be leaking. The city water connection could be leaking.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
laidback wrote:
Yeah....spits like crazy, I bet its air
I'm going to try and let the faucet run and see what happens

Check to make sure your winterizing valve is turned off, if it is left open your get exactley the symptoms you are describing.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also assuming you are aware that the water pump is not necessary to be ON if you are connected to CITY WATER. The city water will pressure up your water system.

I only use my on-board water pump to pressure up my water system when I have water in the fresh water tank. My water pump inlet has no connection to the city water connection.

I leave my WATER PUMP switch in the OFF position unless I am off the power grid and have water in my fresh water tank.

This is a simplified drawing of a typical water flow setup...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Faulty pressure switch?
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water pump running constantly.........

Sufficient water level in fresh water tank?
Air leak on suction side of water pump?
Didn't open faucet and purge air out of system?
Water heater filling?
Open low point drain valve?
Water leaking thru city water connection check valve?
Pressure Relief Valve leaking thru?
Toilet water valve leaking thru?
If you have a 'water panel' fill valve in wrong position..water pump just recirculating water from tank thru fill valve back to tank?
Bad pump?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah....spits like crazy, I bet its air
I'm going to try and let the faucet run and see what happens

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
sacmarata wrote:
If left on mine will run for just a second about once every 20 minutes. Always suspected a leak but can't find a thing. I assume it must be air????

Hope you figure yours out as well.

Those pumps have a built in check valve that sometimes gets something in it. Try taking it apart and cleaning it or sometimes you need a check valve repair kit.

Shurflo pump check valve
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
If left on mine will run for just a second about once every 20 minutes. Always suspected a leak but can't find a thing. I assume it must be air????

Hope you figure yours out as well.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
A few things I can think of.
Do all the faucets work without spitting out a bunch of air? I've seen a big air bubble in the lines keep a pump running.

Is there a leak in the plumbing? I would think after 15 minutes of constant running the leak would be obvious though.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Money2Burn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming that there is water in the tank. If so then there must be a leak somewhere. It does not make sense that the pump would run otherwise.
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500HD Dually
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS
2009 Polaris RZR 800
Honda EU3000 Quiet Genset (not afraid to use it)

I share my wisdom with those who seek it !