cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper tie down recommendations

MikenDebbie
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 97 Jayco Sportster 8D (~1450 lbs on the sticker) and I pick it up tonight. I have 03 Chevy 2500 CCLB duramax 4x4 with the fifth wheel rails still in the bed.

I need recommendations for temporary tie downs just to get it to my house, and recommendations for more permanent tie downs. The guy has a couple of stake hole tie downs. He thinks those will work in my truck for the trip home (~15 miles). He says we can use ratchet straps to tie to the front tie downs and the back bumper. I have ranch hand front and rear heavy duty bumpers, and nerf bars full length on each side. What about strapping down to those for the trip home?

Thanks in advance for the help
Mikendebbie
19 Chevy 3500HD High Country 4x4 D/A
2018 Montana 3921FB
9 REPLIES 9

MikenDebbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I strapped it down to the nerf bars on the front and to the in bed tie down eye in the rear, then I drove the back roads and kept it under 40 mph. Got it home and off the truck and I need to work on a few things before we head out for the first time...getting some good tie downs is job number one.

We have been thru 3 pop ups and two fifth wheels so I understand about weight and loading. The dry wt. on this unit is actually 1466 lbs. I could not really feel the wt. on the ride home last night. We are looking forward to getting out in our new to us class TC motor home! I will be reading more on the forum and learning as I go.
Mikendebbie
2018 Montana 3921FB

TheCodeMonk
Explorer
Explorer
MikenDebbie wrote:
So I read a few threads about truck bead stake tie (like Brophy tie down anchors) but most folks say those are for very light wt campers, plus the fact that truck beds are thinner metal than they use to be. My camper weighs 1450 lbs - is that knight wt or not?

1450 dry or wet? (with water tanks filled and gear inside or empty?)

1450 is fairly light, overall but you might be surprised to find out how much weight gets added fairly quickly.

Campers are usually heavy enough to handle low speeds and gentle movement for a temporary trip but definitely get proper tie downs (even for lightweight campers) as, once you start hitting highway speeds, the wind will really try and push it around.
1996 F250 SRW, Ext-Cab, 8' Bed, 4x4, 7.5L(460)/Auto(E40D), 4.10 Gears, LSD rear.
- Happijac Tiedown

1987 Western Wilderness Alpine (9ft)

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the front Tork-lift are best but for the rear it depends in part on the hitch requirements. Standard rear Torklift tie-downs would need to be removed if later going to a Superhitch for example.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well if the 15 miles can be driven at a reasonably slow speed-tying it to whatever should suffice. Id be paying attention to it not being able to 'walk' out the back. They will move. Its own weight should keep it from 'blowing' out just want to ensure it doesnt shift around too much. Good luck

Um is this from private party?-like in having truck to deliver?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used stake pocket tiedowns and ratchet straps to get mine home, about 120 miles.

The ratchet straps wouldn't go short enough to attach to the tiedown points on the camper, so I threw them right up over the roof like I was strapping a crate down to a flatbed.

I drove VERY carefully all the way home, making sure not to put myself into any situation where there may be abrupt maneuvering, so I never really tested if the straps would hold.

The straps did make some rub marks on one side of the camper, so you may want to figure something out for that.

After that I put Torklift frame-mounted tiedowns on the front.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the Torklift Tie Downs and FastGuns.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

MikenDebbie
Explorer
Explorer
So I read a few threads about truck bead stake tie (like Brophy tie down anchors) but most folks say those are for very light wt campers, plus the fact that truck beds are thinner metal than they use to be. My camper weighs 1450 lbs - is that knight wt or not?
Mikendebbie
2018 Montana 3921FB

TheCodeMonk
Explorer
Explorer
For the trip home, make sure you have something padded or carpetted for the front of the camper and the tie down method mentioned should be good for the trip home (just make sure not to stomp on the gas pedal).

As for a permanent solution, I have the HappiJac system on my truck currently and the other camper/truck on my lot has the Torklift solution and I have to say, the Torklift frame mounts let the camper move a lot less. Mine basically moves the bed around and sways a LOT (whereas the one on the Torklift moves a little but less than half as much). I will be converting to the Torklift Tiedowns soon (as soon as I figure out if I need a superhitch or not for trailering my jeep).
1996 F250 SRW, Ext-Cab, 8' Bed, 4x4, 7.5L(460)/Auto(E40D), 4.10 Gears, LSD rear.
- Happijac Tiedown

1987 Western Wilderness Alpine (9ft)

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I used ratchet straps as tie downs for a 900 mile trip home with my first TC - a Lance 200.

I have used the Torklift products for a permanent solution.