cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping With Below Freezing Temps

far733
Explorer
Explorer
So, my family and I were planning on doing a long weekend trip this weekend. Where we planned on camping, the temps are as follows: 45H/30L, 48H/30L, and 51H/29L. The water is on the campground which I planned on using. So my concern is with my water lines freezing at night. Obviously the day time temps are good, but I was concerned with it being below freezing for 3 nights. Just looking for your thoughts and recommendations about this. Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

far733
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses! 🙂

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we cold camp we just dry camp and use the heated wash house. It is just a lot easier for a weekend or a few days of snow shoeing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fill the propane and fresh water tank and you are fine at 30F.
Run the furnace and have some fun. No worries.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto what has been said. You can also open any cabinet doors that are covering areas where there are water lines. Doubt it is necessary at the temps you are anticipating, but if in a situation where it is below freezing for longer periods, opening cabinet doors helps get heat to where any water lines might be running.

Another option is to get a Camco water hose that is heated. I've ordered one as we're going to be in the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier in early to mid June.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not cold enough even with the hose hooked up to cause a problem. But to be sure unhook the water hose as others have said. If you have a enclosed underbelly you should be able to camp a lot colder than that with no problem, with the hose unhooked.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
We just camped a couple of weeks ago where it was in the mid teens at night. Only issue we had was the campground spigot froze and was unusable until around noon each day.
As said, unhook from the water source and make sure to drain/blow out your hose. They take forever to thaw, ask me how I know!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Run off fresh water tank. There is should be no problem at all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on unhooking the water supply. Also, just for additional peace of mind, you might want to open the cabinet doors under the sink, bathroom vanity, any place there is a water supply. The heat from inside will help in those areas. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember folks saying NOT to allow a faucet to drip, like you might do at home. This doesn't mean it's correct, just seems like I remember it. Otherwise, since you'll be above freezing for all but a very few hours, you should be fine.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't see where you would have any problems as long as you drain your hoses & put them away. I definitely wouldn't turn the heat off in the camper, even if you didn't have hookups, I would just turn the heat down. But since you have hookups that is not a problem. When we have hookups we run an electric heater to conserve our propane.
We got caught in a snow storm in New Mexico one time where it got down below zero. The bathroom water was froze up so we couldn't use it. I left the furnace running as we headed down the road the next morning. The pipes thawed out & all was ok, no problems.

Big Rig
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Use your fresh water tank. It might be cold enough to cause issues with the hose, but, it won't be cold enough to freeze the tank.

Fill the tank, put the hose away, and enjoy the weekend.

X2, we fill the FW in freezing temps, when it empties we refill it. To much of a pain to worry about that small hose.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
far733 wrote:
The water is on the campground which I planned on using.

Presuming what you meant to say was "the water is on at the campground" I'd ask if you're sure that's the case. Here in S Ontario our weather isn't much different than yours and it will be a couple of weeks yet before we start seeing park water systems fully functional. That said, I'd echo others who suggest you simply fill your trailer's fresh water tank, pump from it, and just forget about hooking up to the campground supply even if it is up & running. A few overnight hours a few degrees below freezing won't make any difference at all when you're drawing from the tank ... mine's full right now, has been the last couple of weeks, no way I'd drain it now even if overnight temps temporarily drop below freezing ... just not necessary at all.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always unhook from the camp ground water at night. Trailer heater should keep you all just fine...

When its cool in the mornings the fresh ground bean coffee really taste great... I will most often have a nice bonfire going outside at daybreak sitting around it drinking coffee...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The bear is right. Have fun.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use your fresh water tank. It might be cold enough to cause issues with the hose, but, it won't be cold enough to freeze the tank.

Fill the tank, put the hose away, and enjoy the weekend.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)