cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I dump in the curbside sewer?

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
My new house has a curbside sewer for storm water right by my drive way. This is a public sewer and not connected to my house. I'm guessing its illegal to dump my gray water in there? Any one know for sure?
138 REPLIES 138

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Wes Tausend wrote:

...snip...........
At least the new well would still be drinkable in case some Timothy McVeigh type American terrorist pumped poison backwards into city water, from any one of over a million city faucets. :E

Wes

I don't know why you would think that it would have to be limited to an American terrorist. Thanks for providing such good directions in case there are a few idiots that had not thought of that one.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Would it be ok to drop a sump pump down a storm drain and water ones lawn with free water? :h
Bet there is no law on that.
As city water goes up in price, I sometimes think about sinking a well anyway.

At least the new well would still be drinkable in case some Timothy McVeigh type American terrorist pumped poison backwards into city water, from any one of over a million city faucets. :E

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
wmoses wrote:
Heavy Metal Doctor wrote:
Just gray water? Full of basic natural substances with a little mild cleaning stuff mixed in (hand and dish soap)...Think about what washes into a storm drain -- automotive chemicals and all forms of plant and animal matter along with soap from people washing cars...you decide....not saying it's legal, but I am saying some common sense can answer the question.

Thanks for making this point regarding the ridiculousness of the ordinances that prevents this from happening. I can understand black water but prohibiting gray water is dumb when there is no control on any of the other stuff you mentioned and did not mention but which are not prohibited.

Yep things have really come full circle. We lived in Calif and during the drought in the late 70's we were encouraged to use left over bath, sink and clothes water to water our plants outside.

Personally, I think a lot of the current laws have to do with the "DEGREE" factor when it comes to what we are calling "GREY WATER". You open the door just a little and then it's open to interpertation and individuals, businesses get involved and what was a potential issue not significant because of limited impact, becomes HUGE and a problem that can't be allowed.

Larry

There are some contributing to this thread that don't understand non-point source pollution.
On page 2 of this thread is a link to Milwaukee's regulations and suggestions about storm water drainage and what folks should do to help eliminate the pollution of the storm water.
All of the runoff items listed in the above quotes are mentioned as controllable and ways to deal with them. It is not "ridiculous" to try and control these pollutants and to educate people about what they can do to eliminate them.
At the end of one article on that linked site, there is a phone number to call in Milwaukee if a citizen has questions.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think we use the flashers for when we dump in the storm sewer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
wmoses wrote:
Heavy Metal Doctor wrote:
Just gray water? Full of basic natural substances with a little mild cleaning stuff mixed in (hand and dish soap)...Think about what washes into a storm drain -- automotive chemicals and all forms of plant and animal matter along with soap from people washing cars...you decide....not saying it's legal, but I am saying some common sense can answer the question.

Thanks for making this point regarding the ridiculousness of the ordinances that prevents this from happening. I can understand black water but prohibiting gray water is dumb when there is no control on any of the other stuff you mentioned and did not mention but which are not prohibited.

Yep things have really come full circle. We lived in Calif and during the drought in the late 70's we were encouraged to use left over bath, sink and clothes water to water our plants outside.

Personally, I think a lot of the current laws have to do with the "DEGREE" factor when it comes to what we are calling "GREY WATER". You open the door just a little and then it's open to interpertation and individuals, businesses get involved and what was a potential issue not significant because of limited impact, becomes HUGE and a problem that can't be allowed.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
If you live on a farm is it OK to dump your black tank down a woodchuck hole? :B

:):)

Not on my farm ๐Ÿ™‚

But is you want to water my grass with grey water have at it. My septic system leaches out there anyway after it has been "digested" in the septic tank.

This thread got me looking into the laws for this state. The states EPA site said in transcripts from a meating that dumping greywater on the ground is not lawfull, but I have not found any law or ordance prohibiting it.

As far as dumping grey water in a storm drain, I would imagine it is frowned upon in most places.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If you live on a farm is it OK to dump your black tank down a woodchuck hole? :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
DO IT!!! Let 'ER GO!!!!! whats the big deal??? No guts no glory!!! Worst case a fine,,,,, not likely,,, first offense,,IF they trace it back to you blame it on vandals!!! hose it down!!! your doing your best!!! Next time,,, do it later at night!!!

Yardvarkers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm old and grey. And so is my travel triler.:E
"Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- William Penn

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Caution-thread closing ahead!

Bring it. I'm out of popcorn.
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Caution-thread closing ahead!

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
sbowman871 wrote:
I heard that people that use a storm sewer to dump their gray tank also have their marker lights on at night while camping.

I stick an automotive flasher in the trailer pigtail so all the lights on 5vr blink ON OFF ON Off ON Off......

That's even better. Piss everyone off!
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
sbowman871 wrote:
I heard that people that use a storm sewer to dump their gray tank also have their marker lights on at night while camping.

I stick an automotive flasher in the trailer pigtail so all the lights on 5vr blink ON OFF ON Off ON Off......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
sbowman871 wrote:

That is funny!