http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/180/A231RKB
GVWR: 5495
Dry Weight: 3950
Dry Tongue Weight: 363
Overall Length: 26'3

With this tow vehicle
2010 Chevy Tahoe LS 2WD
Axle: GU6 - REAR AXLE, 3.42 RATIO
Trailering Pkg: K5L - TRAILERING PACKAGE, HEAVY-DUTY includes KNP external transmission oil cooler and KC4 engine oil cooler, provides increased trailering capabilities Includes GU6 3.42 rear axle ratio
Max Trailer Wt: 8400
Max Trailer Tongue Wt: 1000
GVWR: 7100
Max Payload 1733
Axle Capacity Fr: 3200
Axle Capacity Rear: 4100
Tires: P265/70R17
Third row seats that came with it have been removed. They must weight ~75 lbs. Maybe more

I am looking for trailers that I can tow safely with this vehicle. I'm aware that Tahoe's are not the best tow vehicles. Please comment and/or offer alternative TTs.
25 REPLIES 25

2littletime
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 05 Tahoe. What is the problem with the hitch? First time I have heard about this.
2013 Fun Finder 214 WSD
2007 Chevy 1500 TV
2005 Chevy Tahoe TV
Equalizer 1,000 lb.
Prodigy 2

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
jorge1958 wrote:
I agree. 3.73 gears would be better. But should tow ok.

3.73 gears aren't available for the 09 and later Tahoes with the 6 speed. Supposedly the 3.42 gears with the 6 speed is definitely better than the 4.10s with the old 4 speed.
Jeep and Explorer

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
soren wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
I agree, Tahoe's are not the best tow vehicles but will work for you if you set it up right.

Can't imagine how you determined that? Based on a decade of using one, for a similar trailer, and doing so all over North America, Miami to Maine, San Diego to the Arctic Circle, I would have to disagree.

For that size of trailer and for the sake of stability suggest you consider a higher end hitching system like the Hensley or Pro Pride connection systems.

No idea why you would want to spend several thousand on a hitch to solve a problem that does not exist? A Dual-Cam will do the job without issue, and is perfectly suitable for this TT and SUV combo

Also be sure to upgrade the weak factory GM receiver if it has not already been done.

Old Info. Does not apply to the GMT900 platform Tahoe, 2006-current

Sorry, but suggesting that a Tahoe is a marginal tow vehicle, that can't handle a modest sized trailer without a multi-thousand dollar hitch to make it safe, is pretty far from reality. Well over a thousand hours behind the wheel while towing, with ZERO drama and ZERO mechanical issues related to towing, suggests otherwise.

Agree, there are 1,000's of Tahoe's/Yukon's used as Tv's and they work to one degree or another.

Compared with a Tahoe a top rated TV would have more precise steering, better braking, a more quieter ride, better handling, etc.
If you ever get a chance to experience one of the premium Tv's then you would understand the difference.

There are many Tahoe owners who understand and appreciate the value of the Hensley and PP connection systems. The extra value of performance, safety, and drive comfort is there.

Again.... try a high end, correctly set up unit and you will understand.

Not sure what the elitist definition of a "premium tow vehicle" is, or that I care. I can say that I have towed extensively with our 2003 2500 Series Suburban, and since it had all kind of silly accoutrements inside, it may of even been "premium" and clearly above my station. With half a herd of cow skins on the seats, and TVs in the headrests, I felt premium while driving it, fo sure'. I also put about 30K on our four door, 8' bed, diesel F250 while pulling a TT, that may be premium, I'm not sure? All I know is that they weren't nearly as desirable a tow vehicle, when it comes to handling a modest TT and being useful when unhitched. As for the premium experience of spending $3K for an unnecessary hitch. Well, I'll leave that to Mr. PT Barham.

EDIT: Ah, I see that you are a disciple of Andy's. No issue with that, I have actually sent him a customer who is now towing a modest box with an Avalon, event though everybody from Toyota to forum experts claim that he would "be dead by the time he left town", LOL.
That said, it's easy to slip into a bit of snobbery here, and all the mentions of premium clearly indicate that. I use Tahoes for a very specific reason. They are fully capable of doing the job well, yet as I'm sure Can-Am would advise, they don't do the job well, out of the box. They need the right tires, suspension mods. and adequate hitch. Secondly, a snobbish, upscale luxury car wouldn't make it through the first week on some of our adventures. Our tow vehicles do time on everything from forest roads, to the Dalton and Dempster roads. Combine that, the need to haul everything from dirty dogs and firewood and the fact that we go places where they never see, much less repair foreign luxury cars, it really wouldn't work for our needs.

The larger issue is that this forum represents the typical user of a towable RV in N.A. Most find the severe limitations of pulling things like antique Airstreams, or spending $80-100K for a larger new one, to not be an option. Since the market is now at 30+ white boxes that the elitist like to sneer at, the whole Can-Am philosophy has a pretty limited market.

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. 3.73 gears would be better. But should tow ok.
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
I agree, Tahoe's are not the best tow vehicles but will work for you if you set it up right.

Can't imagine how you determined that? Based on a decade of using one, for a similar trailer, and doing so all over North America, Miami to Maine, San Diego to the Arctic Circle, I would have to disagree.

For that size of trailer and for the sake of stability suggest you consider a higher end hitching system like the Hensley or Pro Pride connection systems.

No idea why you would want to spend several thousand on a hitch to solve a problem that does not exist? A Dual-Cam will do the job without issue, and is perfectly suitable for this TT and SUV combo

Also be sure to upgrade the weak factory GM receiver if it has not already been done.

Sorry, but suggesting that a Tahoe is a marginal tow vehicle, that can't handle a modest sized trailer without a multi-thousand dollar hitch to make it safe, is pretty far from reality. Well over a thousand hours behind the wheel while towing, with ZERO drama and ZERO mechanical issues related to towing, suggests otherwise.

Agree, there are 1,000's of Tahoe's/Yukon's used as Tv's and they work to one degree or another.

Compared with a Tahoe a top rated TV would have more precise steering, better braking, a more quieter ride, better handling, etc.
If you ever get a chance to experience one of the premium Tv's then you would understand the difference.

There are many Tahoe owners who understand and appreciate the value of the Hensley and PP connection systems. The extra value of performance, safety, and drive comfort is there.

Again.... try a high end, correctly set up unit and you will understand.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Yukon with the 6.2L tow rated at 7900 lbs. 6 speed tranny. Auto air bags and 3.42 gear. Pulling a 26 ft TT (28 ft with tongue) at a dry wt of 3700lbs. WDH by EZlift. I remove the third row seats and travel without fresh water in the tank. I use the tow mode and cruise in the NC Mountains and she doesn't skip a beat...no stress as long as I watch my speed especially downhill. I think I may upgrade to a TT with slide out(s) and think something about 6000lbs and 26-28ft can be managed?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
...Also be sure to upgrade the weak factory GM receiver if it has not already been done.

This was on pre-2007 vehicles. Please pay attention to the vehicle the poster asked about: 2010 Tahoe.

Please leave your 7 year old baggage behind.

LOL!

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
...Also be sure to upgrade the weak factory GM receiver if it has not already been done.

This was on pre-2007 vehicles. Please pay attention to the vehicle the poster asked about: 2010 Tahoe.

Also, the 3.42 with the 6sp trans is better than the previous 4sp and 4.10.

Please leave your 7 year old baggage behind.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I have done tens of thousands of miles, at least 70K, while towing a very similar rig (26', 4300lbs dry) with a pair of Tahoes, and a Chevy pick-up with the same drivetrain. You have plenty of truck to get the job done. Contrary to what was said, you absolutely will know it's back there. The rear end gearing can make a huge difference. I went from on 5.3 rig with a 3.21 rear to another with a 3.73. Absolutely amazing performance change. That said, these were both the old 4 speed auto. trans, which IIRC was long gone when your Tahoe was built. As a minimum you need slip on mirrors, a good brake controller, and a decent hitch. I use a Prodigy controller, and a Reese Dual-Cam. I also found that a pair of air bags in the rear coils really helped to keep the truck from squatting, when hitched up. I used Air-lift brand, which were cheap, but I had two bag failures over a few years. The manufacturer was quick and responsive, in replacing them under warranty. Good luck. I have a big diesel motorhome now, and really miss the Tahoe and trailer!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The Nash will be at the limit for the Tahoe, but that's the one I would want. I'm totally done with "lightweight frames." While the discussion has been what can the Tahoe handle, but you still want to know what the trailer can handle. The Nash can be loaded with nearly twice as much "stuff." We often hear from all the folks that can't take much cargo and don't even fill the water tank.

rdrector
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would not want to exceed pulling 6500. My thinking is 500lbs of people and gear in the Tahoe, and I am maxed as far as #'s go.

Could it do more; probably; but then you start getting in gray areas with a relaxing drive, hills, emergency manuvering, etc. It is a more enjoyable experince for all in your group to have a stress free tow.
2013 Jayco Eagle 324 BTS
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Dodge Quad 4x4 CTD 4.10

NYCFive1
Explorer
Explorer
You will run out of carrying capacity for the Tahoe at about 6000 lbs trailer weight. This setup should be fine .
Carrying capacity 1733
26 gallons of fuel 208
4 average adults 600
Tongue weight@6000 780
You would have a buffer of 145 lbs left
I have a 05 TAHOE with less carrying capacity towing a similar trailer.
Less passenger weight-2 adults 1 dog and less tongue weight.
Keep in mind the weights stated by the manufacturer do not include options like your 3rd row seat. The best way to have peace of mind is to weight the TAHOE front and rear axel. The more accurate weight of the trailer is inside one of the cabinets. My trailers actual weight is 350 lbs more than the registered weight.
NYCFive1

mike4951
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you all very much. I have put the Evergreen Ascend A231RBK on my list. Another trailer I have considered is below. It's a tad bigger. How do y'all feel about towing this one with the Tahoe?

Nash 24M
http://www.northwoodmfg.com/index.php?page=model&make=nash&id=1097
GVWR: 7000
Dry Weight: 4594
Tongue Weight: 467
Overall Length: 27'3"