cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can our truck tow a 5th Wheel/Very concerned wife!

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this question has been asked before but we are looking for our first 5th Wheel and we want to know if our truck can tow it. Currently we tow a travel trailer dry weight 6350, loaded weight around 9000. Getting a new truck is not an option, we currently do not have a diesel (no judging please!) We have used the on line calculator on http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml and it appears that according to this information we can tow this 5th weel. However, I am still very concerned and wanted real life feedback.

Here are the specs of the towing vehicle
2011 2500 HD GMC Sierra SLT with Towing Package, 6.0L V8.
GVWR 9500 lbs
GCWR 20500 lbs
Maximum loaded trailer weight rating 13900 lbs
Maximum king pin weight rating 3000 lbs
RGAWR 6200 lbs
GVW 6377 lbs

Fifth wheel trailer
GVW 8400 lbs
King pin weight 1600 lbs

We don't usually fill our RV with anything other than water and food as my wife drives a different vehicle and tows a trailer but we worked out how many gallons of water it held and then figured out that we thought the loaded weight would be (being generous) 11,000 lbs. This is 2000 lbs over what we currently tow.

Thank you for any help and feedback. Have a great day
31 REPLIES 31

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your replies they have been really helpful. We will be calling the dealer tomorrow!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
KW,

What is your loaded pin weight vs the dry weight of 1430lbs? Any issues staying under your GVWR or axle ratings?
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Got a similar truck see sig below. No problems with that wieght, appears that you have a great combo. Mine pulls close to 10 k via scales and have no issues. Yes I do have the 3.73 and don't worry about it. In Florida I lock out 6th gear and pull in 5th sometimes 4th depending on the terrain. Up in Georgia I'm in 4th mostly sometimes 5th and a steep grade will put me In 3rd while keeping 60mph. I could push to 65 but no need. I have pulled in 4th on some hills without any issues. Overall I am happy with my truck, I have pulled with both gas and diesel and chose gas. Personal reasons but this current truck keeps me happy with the 6speeds. My older 02 had the older 4 speed with the 6.0 and was a little slower, but hey were on vacation, so no issues.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
BritGirl wrote:
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
What cab style is your GMC, reg, extended, or crew?

What rear end gear do you have, 4.10's? Glove box code will be GT5 for 4.10's, GT4 for 3.73's.

Crew and 4.10

SWEET!

Only thing I can think would be a concern to watch would be payload. What is the payload amount listed on the drivers door yellow sticker, 2700ish lbs? I know our LT crew is 2750lbs.

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Looks like your truck should do fine. I do question the D-rated tires on the 5er. I strongly suggest you upgrade to E-rated.

Thank you for the tip. We will look at the tire upgrades. Appreciate it.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your truck should do fine. I do question the D-rated tires on the 5er. I strongly suggest you upgrade to E-rated.

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:

What rear end gear do you have, 4.10's? Glove box code will be GT5 for 4.10's, GT4 for 3.73's.

Crew and 4.10

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response. We understand we won't be driving very fast up hills, we don't drive very fast up them right now! We just don't want to do any damage.

I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Should have no troubles.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
So according to your own figures you will be 100 pounds over GVWR when you put the 5th wheel pin on your hitch. When the trailer is dry. So what ever you add to the fifth wheel will add more weight to your pin weight. Also the hitch itself may add 150 pounds. I myself would be interested in what your rear axle weight is loaded. I would scale that and add about 2000 pounds plus the weight of your hitch. See what that weight is. You may need to upgrade your tires. I say this because I have a 9500 pd dry 12000 wet 5th wheel that I pulled with a 2008 3/4 ton Chevy duramax. My pin weight was right at 2000 pounds. I was definitely over when I pulled this rig but it appeared to me to be fine. I do believe there is no way you will end up under your GVWR. But that's up to you, I certainly did it and felt safe. Now I drive a 1 ton 2011 Chevy Duramax and there is a big difference. I will say now I feel safer. I am sure your engine will do fine you just won't go as fast up the big hills.

JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BritGirl wrote:
You are correct, sorry. It is the dry weight. I can't imagine we would ever put 2500 lbs worth of stuff in our trailer either but we were being extra cautious!

Trailer dry weight 8400#
Carry capacity 2595#

10,995# trailer max weight.
Figure 20% wet pin weight......2200#

Your 2500 will tow that 5vr just fine.
Good combo.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct, sorry. It is the dry weight. I can't imagine we would ever put 2500 lbs worth of stuff in our trailer either but we were being extra cautious!

BritGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for your response

We have not weighed the truck with the Fifth Wheel, but last time we weighed just the truck with a driver, 2 dogs and a full tank of gas it was about 8000 lbs.

I can't find the GVWR of the trailer anywhere on line. We don't have one near us in MT and will have to go to ID to get it. The specs on line are:

Full Feature Dry Weight - Lbs.8400
Fresh Water Capacity (approx. gal)80
Tire SizeST225/75 15
Load Range D
Exterior Length (approx. w / hitch)30'2"
LPG Capacity (approx. pounds)60
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons)80
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons)50
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.)1600
Net Carrying Capacity 2595
Maximum Trailer Weight - Lbs.10995
Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.)6800
Exterior Height 12'1" w/AC
Interior Bedroom Height 6'7"

Thank you very much

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you will be ok with your 2500 truck, just remember that you want be the first to top of a hill/grade.:)