cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you be to Picky?

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping for a truck there are a lot of personal preferences...some items fall into the need category others the nice to have category, So my question as subjective as it is, when do you settle? Or because of the prices of new trucks does it have to be "exactly" what you want? I'm not talking about it has everything you need but a few extras you don't, Im talking it has everything you need but say the interior/exterior color isn't your 1st choice or it has X transmission that will get the job done but you really wanted Y transmission. I've read to many threads on people buying X truck because it was on the lot and then later regret it and trading into what they should have bought in the first place. I always said I'd drive a pink truck if the price was right however I'm finding I'm getting really picky when it's my money and can't justify ordering exactly what I want because of the savings on what is on the lot....just food for thought no such thing as the perfect truck but for the money it better be something I can live with for a long time....and this wasn't meant to be a which one should I buy thread just wondering how many went thru the same thing when they were looking.

JJ
39 REPLIES 39

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Jerry Lee (that was my brother's name),
If you must have a new diesel pickup with a manual transmission, you had better like a Dodge product.
The newest Dodge still offers a Mercedes Benz G-56, six speed manual trans, which is now the best in the biz. Well,...and the only.
jefe

I had an 08 no issues why knock a good thing my theory is get the "stick" while I can and when it's time for another truck an "auto" may be my only choice....

JJ

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Lee (that was my brother's name),
If you must have a new diesel pickup with a manual transmission, you had better like a Dodge product.
The newest Dodge still offers a Mercedes Benz G-56, six speed manual trans, which is now the best in the biz. Well,...and the only.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Gripnriprod wrote:
Let us follow you through the process. I haven't read each of the comments throughout the thread but I don't recall reading what the end point is in regard to the RV you are planning to purchase or do you already have one?

Eventually a TC and a small utility trailer...

JJ

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Let us follow you through the process. I haven't read each of the comments throughout the thread but I don't recall reading what the end point is in regard to the RV you are planning to purchase or do you already have one?
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Well guess I will be ordering, get what I want no fluff and the waiting time gives me the opurtunity to get my other projects lined out...

JJ

Bedlam
I also had some options that were on my required list and I could not find the right truck without paying for many options that would have put the vehicle over my budget.

I originally bought the truck to pull a heavy tongue weight trailer and never considered that I would later be looking at fifth wheels or truck campers. The heavy suspension package that is on my truck was to handle the tools and parts I used to carry in the enclosed bed while towing my heavy toy hauler. Because of my insistence on particular options, it also has become a very capable truck camper hauler. In retrospect, I would have optioned it differently knowing what I want to do tomorrow but am very happy with what it still does today.

My next truck will have even more capability but will also be able to handle more diverse loads. It should have 10k lbs payload and 20k lbs towing capacity within its published ratings.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Can I order a Cummins diesel with an Allison transmission? There are pluses and minuses to every make and model. Congrats to anyone that got EVEVRYTHING they wanted on their truck.

No, you can't get a GM transmission in a Ram pickup truck. And given that pickups are the best sellers from all three of the big three, it should be self-evident why GM isn't racing to sell their transmissions to the other two.

If you buy a big enough commercial truck, you can probably get an Allison with a Cummins engine, though.

mkirsch wrote:
What I don't get is the "DON'T want" part. People will angrily complain because a truck has options they steadfastly DON'T want. People will angrily pay more for a truck with fewer options, or for a custom-ordered truck they have to wait weeks/months for, in order to get it without options they steadfastly DON'T want.

What's not to want?

I did not want an electric-shift transfer case. I wanted a mechanical lever. 4wd is something you rarely use but when you do, it's pretty critical. That electric motor sitting down there is just waiting to corrode and not work. I would rather just not have it; using the lever is just as easy as the electronic shift anyway.

I did not want a sunroof. When it rains, they're noisy. When they're old, they leak. Even if they didn't, I would have never opened it anyway. I ordered the truck without the sunroof.

I did not want the navigation they were offering. It was a $1000 option in 2005. In 2014, you can buy a nice GPS unit for $100-200 and if you want an in-dash one, there are a number of radios that offer that feature for far less expensive and the key part--far more upgradeable than the factory. So I ordered the truck without the navigation.

Most importantly, I would absolutely not have an automatic transmission. Not because I really care if others like them or whatever--I just find it boring to drive an automatic. I am also thoroughly convinced that they are unreliable and also fairly certain that no technology change that will happen in my lifetime will change this--automatics are better than ever but the brute reliability of gears and bearings, they have not yet achieved. So I ordered a truck with leather, a floor shift transfer case, power windows and door locks and the whole nine yards, but with a manual transmission.

I wouldn't want it any other way. There are some features I could probably deal with having or with not having. The paint color is somewhat negotiable--I prefer blue but paint doesn't make the truck function any different. But since I'm so picky about other features, I wouldn't fuss too much about the color.

If I was 30 years older and I could trade the truck in every few years, it'd be different, but I can't, and so I've had my truck for over 9 years and I plan to have it at least 10 more. It has to have what I want; I'm going to practically live in it during that time. Hell, I have spent over 50 hours traveling in it just since August. It's like a desk chair at work--it has to fit.

Long winded but that's just the way it is. Money may sway some on these things, but the marginal difference in cost spread over a very long period of time is a small price to pay for having exactly the truck that best fits your intended use.

Now if I could just go back to 2005 and get my same truck with dual rear wheels!

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to take a test drive with a commercial/fleet guy and weigh a cab chassis truck of theirs without a bed (a Kodiak 4500 like I was looking at used elsewhere....and they knew this)! If you want to go weigh that thing ASK! Once I also drove to Albuquerque from Denver with my old truck and load a camper I was interested in, drive it with an employee to a truck stop and weigh it on my truck! You'd be surprised what dealers will do for a serious buyer who is looking at dropping serious coin on a purchase. In neither case did I buy their items but in the case of the truck I have now had my truck serviced at that dealer for 7 years. They earned my respect and I got to know their service guys and repaid the help they gave me over and over.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
HarmsWay wrote:
The payload on the sticker should include all the options installed at the factory. Anything dealer installed is extra and you might be surprised how much can be dealer installed.

Nothing dealer installed....

JJ

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
The payload on the sticker should include all the options installed at the factory. Anything dealer installed is extra and you might be surprised how much can be dealer installed.

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Payload update, the one on the lot 5626 the one ordered 5600 I believe these both to be in error because dodge lists max payload for the cab/engine/transmission configureation as 5600 so don't know which way to go. The one on the lot is a loaded larimie the one ordered is an SLT obviously both would be under the 5600. Guess I can ask the dealer with the one on the lot to weigh it....

JJ

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
What I don't get is the "DON'T want" part. People will angrily complain because a truck has options they steadfastly DON'T want. People will angrily pay more for a truck with fewer options, or for a custom-ordered truck they have to wait weeks/months for, in order to get it without options they steadfastly DON'T want.

What's not to want?

Past the engine, transmission, tires, steering wheel, fat pedal, and skinny pedal, there really isn't anything on a truck that I would consider so obtrusive or inconvenient that I would NOT want it to the point of turning down a smoking deal.

In fact, everything on a truck past those basics is designed FOR convenience.

I'm OCD to an extent, but there is no way I would just let some convenience option that I didn't want and end up not using grate away at me until I turned into a frothing mad hatter. More often than not I end up using the option and wondering how I ever lived without it, OR, I wish I had spent the money on the option in the first place.

Case in point, my current DD has crank windows and manual locks. 11-1/2 years now, and I've lost count of the number of times I wished I had power windows so I could talk to someone who has walked up to the passenger side of the truck. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to put the truck in park, undo my seatbelt, and lean across to unlock the passenger door to let someone in.

When I bought the truck I still ascribed to Dad's old saying, "More to go wrong."

Don't get me wrong the extras don't bother me I'll take anything over my minimum the issue is there are a couple missing items, one can easily be added by the dealer the other however can't. So really it will come down to payload numbers between them...
And I agree the more you get the more can break...
JJ

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:

What's not to want?

Past the engine, transmission, tires, steering wheel, fat pedal, and skinny pedal, there really isn't anything on a truck that I would consider so obtrusive or inconvenient that I would NOT want it to the point of turning down a smoking deal.

I'm OCD to an extent, but there is no way I would just let some convenience option that I didn't want and end up not using grate away at me until I turned into a frothing mad hatter. More often than not I end up using the option and wondering how I ever lived without it, OR, I wish I had spent the money on the option in the first place.

Case in point, my current DD has crank windows and manual locks. 11-1/2 years now, and I've lost count of the number of times I wished I had power windows so I could talk to someone who has walked up to the passenger side of the truck. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to put the truck in park, undo my seatbelt, and lean across to unlock the passenger door to let someone in.

When I bought the truck I still ascribed to Dad's old saying, "More to go wrong."

For me, those "don't wants" don't end up costing less than what I want would cost on its own. Those packages force me into spending more than the individual wanted item is worth. And for me, satellite radio, etc. is not a "convenience". Unfortunately, I know I'm in the minority and I'm not going to find a vehicle on the lot that I'll be happy with.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

What's not to want?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.