cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canyon Diesel MPG - 22 city 31 hwy 25 combined

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
DETROIT โ€“ With efficiency that complements its leading capability, the all-new 2016 GMC Canyon diesel is rated at a segment-topping 22 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway in two-wheel drive โ€“ or 25 mpg combined โ€“ according the U.S Environmental Protection Agency.

Canyon diesel four-wheel drive models are rated at 20 city and 29 highway โ€“ and 23 mpg combined.

In addition to the fuel economy ratings, the EPA has issued a โ€œCertificate of Conformityโ€ for the GMC Canyon diesel. The agency expressed no issues or concerns following its recent, extensive testing and evaluation of the emission control system on the Canyon diesel.

โ€œGMC Canyon is designed for those who want a smart-sized premium pickup that is quiet, capable and efficient and the new Duramax diesel engine gives customers another choice for handling heavier work and recreational needs โ€“ while doing it efficiently,โ€ said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. โ€œItโ€™s the very definition of GMCโ€™s professional grade ethos.โ€

The Canyon dieselโ€™s fuel economy is not only segment-best, it tops all full-size truck mileage ratings while offering a higher trailering rating than all 2015 Ram 1500 V-6 models and some 5.7L V-8 models, as well as the 2015 Ford F-150 equipped with the 3.5L naturally aspirated V-6 โ€“ and even the 2015 Nissan Titan S model with the 5.6L V-8.

The dieselโ€™s efficiency also means it can go farther between fill-ups. With its 21-gallon fuel tank, it offers an estimated highway-driving range of up to 651 miles.

Duramax details
Canyonโ€™s all-new 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine generates 181 horsepower (135 kW) and 369 lb-ft of torque (500 Nm) to enable trailering ratings of 7,700 pounds (3,492 kg) on 2WD models and 7,600 pounds (3,447 kg) for 4WD models โ€“ ratings unmatched by other midsize competitors.

The Duramax 2.8L has been certified to the cleanest standards of any diesel truck ever produced by GM and meets tough U.S. emissions standards largely with a cooled exhaust gas recirculation system. It is also B20-capable.

Additionally, a variable-geometry turbocharger helps optimize power and efficiency across the rpm band and a balance shaft contributes to smoothness.

The engine is paired with the Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission, which uses a unique Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber in the torque converter to reduce powertrain noise and vibration.

Canyon diesel models also feature a diesel exhaust brake and an integrated trailer brake controller. The exhaust brake enhances vehicle control and can reduce brake wear. It uses engine compression to slow the truck down, reducing the amount of conventional braking needed while traveling downhill. The integrated trailer brake controller system works with the anti-lock brake system to provide immediate and measured brake force, signaling to the electric-controlled trailer brake systems so there is no need for an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

Additionally, models equipped with 4WD feature a new, electronically controlled two-speed transfer case. A 3.42 rear axle ratio and four-wheel disc brakes with Duralifeโ„ข brake rotors are standard on all models.

The Canyon diesel goes on sale this fall, offered on SLE and SLT Crew Cab models. It is priced $3,730 more than a comparably equipped V-6 model. Diesel models will require the available trailering package, which includes a hitch receiver and seven-pin connector, as well as the segment-exclusive automatic locking rear differential.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
45 REPLIES 45

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
France Portgal Belgum etc etc

From a year ago ,its no fantasy they are backing away from diesel cars and the VW debacle can only speed it up .
More diesel for us .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
I don't believe those mileage figures for a second. Sure they have to have something to compare to others but I don't trust EPA mileage estimates-never have.

Ditto Fly-Gypsy comment on extra cost. Where is Supercharged when we need him. He would debunk the need for a diesel of any size.

Here Diesels are rapidly replacing Gas engines in Pickups

I read an article in a mag recently stating that 2 European countries have admitted that diesel was no longer the preferred fuel source and would slowly set policies to phase out diesels and switch to gasoline as the primary fuel source.

I would say that article came from the US. Bit like reading that American Football will be banned as it causes brain damage. Fantasy

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobertRyan wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
I don't believe those mileage figures for a second. Sure they have to have something to compare to others but I don't trust EPA mileage estimates-never have.

Ditto Fly-Gypsy comment on extra cost. Where is Supercharged when we need him. He would debunk the need for a diesel of any size.

I read an article in a mag recently stating that 2 European countries have admitted that diesel was no longer the preferred fuel source and would slowly set policies to phase out diesels and switch to gasoline as the primary fuel source.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
I'm not sure I would want to spend $3700 more for the diesel for a couple of MPG better mileage. The V6 gasser is pulling in a good 22 MPG combo. If I needed more pulling power I would have just bought a regular sized pickup.

So how does the GMC tow the boat?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Granted, the Canyon diesel may be too much of a compromise for many on RV.NET. But, for the average buyer out there (to include many small businesses), the Canyon diesel could potentially be a double or triple, if not a home-run.

Gonna be interesting to see how much the Canyon eats into Taco sales.

The Taco V6 2WD gasser has an EPA rating of 19/24. The Taco 4-banger, 19/23. The Canyon diesel, 22/31.

The Taco V6 has 278 HP and 265 lb. ft. of torque. The Canyon diesel, 181 HP, 369 lb. ft. For those contemplating a 5000 lb. tow, I believe the Canyon diesel would provide a much more civilized, economical tow experience vs. the Taco V6.

Time will tell.
Same engine sold here for the different Global Colorado, main criticism not as refined as other diesels and seems less powerful, not more than the others, taking into consideration, it's on paper impressive ,ratings.
That's disappointing to hear. Yup, for now all we have are paper numbers, but I always hope for the best. I'm not in the market for one, but I certainly find the cool technology being produced by all the OEM's these days very interesting to watch. Competition is good for everyone.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It will be inetersting to see if they can convince anyone to spend $4K more for an already over priced small truck.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Granted, the Canyon diesel may be too much of a compromise for many on RV.NET. But, for the average buyer out there (to include many small businesses), the Canyon diesel could potentially be a double or triple, if not a home-run.

The Taco V6 2WD gasser has an EPA rating of 19/24. The Taco 4-banger, 19/23. The Canyon diesel, 22/31.

The Taco V6 has 278 HP and 265 lb. ft. of torque. The Canyon diesel, 181 HP, 369 lb. ft. For those contemplating a 5000 lb. tow, I believe the Canyon diesel would provide a much more civilized, economical tow experience vs. the Taco V6.

Time will tell.

Same engine sold here for the different Global Colorado, main criticism not as refined as other diesels and seems less powerful, not more than the others, taking into consideration, it's on paper impressive ,ratings.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The diesel Canyon will likely be a nice option for those that live in a city and want a smaller truck to do home improvements and that is easy to park.

With 181 HP, I can't imagine it being much of a tow vehicle though.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I would want to spend $3700 more for the diesel for a couple of MPG better mileage. The V6 gasser is pulling in a good 22 MPG combo. If I needed more pulling power I would have just bought a regular sized pickup.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Time will tell.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
About the same as the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel huh?

RAM Ecodiesel I thought garnered 240 hp/420 lb/feet of torque while getting similar mileage. 25 combined.

I'm just waiting for a diesel hybrid truck, lol.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of the styling on these trucks, but they'll probably be a great match for a lot of people who don't need a full size or heavy duty model. I guess I would have figured on a little better than 23 combined but the highway mileage is pretty good at 29.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Thanks for the info.