cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cargo trailer battery

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
So I neglected to charge the small battery on the cargo trailer I pull behind the TC. Its stone dead. IIRC its function is to activate the electric brakes in case of accidental trailer decoupling? Do I have to replace this to use? No lecture needed, if its totally unsafe just say so. Point being, Im not even sure of its function, therefor the most likely dopey question.
14 REPLIES 14

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I think OP is talking about the little battery system that comes on cargo trailers to work the break away brake system. It has a small 12V AGM battery in it.

The box should have a little device wired in it so the running lights can be used to charge the battery (that way it will work on a 4 wire system)

I replace mine with a standard 12V battery so I could run the inside lights while trailer was disconnected.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Get anOptima Battery from Auto Zone

LamboDesigns
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've bought similar batteries at HomeDepot pretty cheap. It has been a while so don't know if they still stock them.

Just replace the whole setup on my trailer as it wasn't just the battery that was stone cold dead. Friend borrowed the trailer and pulled the cord out when he didn't unhook it and it broke the tab instead of pulling the release. I know.... you should check that they work every now and then:(
2013 Lance 855S with most options
2016 Ford F250 4x4 gas, 3.73, airbags, bigwig, homemade stableloads, 20" wheels with toyo open country II
Sold - 1989 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
It only needs a charge while the trailer is being towed ,it may be that the charge from the truck will charge it .

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I have several, 5 I think, dome lights in my cargo trailer. I have a couple of 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts. This Torklift solar battery box works wonders for keeping them charged up. The batteries power the electric jack as well as my breakaway switch.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I guess Im buying a battery.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those small batteries are short-lived so if it is several years old - get new one and don't waste time on recharging.
Checking brake-away operation if one of the thing where DOT cops make easy money and on west coast when you have to drive via scales, you have 50-50 chances to get pulled over.
I keep lot of equipment with batteries in it. Even when there nothing turn on, the wires leak the current and will drain battery in longer storage.
Disconnecting battery clamp will keep the charge for a year.
Solar panel without controller can kill the battery.

Bedlam
If it's one of tiny panels I suggested, it will not catch up. You need something bigger to actually put some energy back into the battery. My new camper will have sufficient solar to not worry about running the LPG heater or leaving phantom draws on while not in use. We're out and about at least twice a month, so this may never be a true test compared to others.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
If the trailer sits where there is available light, consider adding a 5w or 10w solar panel to keep the battery charged. A little panel like this will not charge a battery, but it will maintain the charge that is on the battery.

When I bought my class C I wanted to put solar on it and the sales guys says "It has solar" so I checked the roof and it has a tiny panel up there. I thought what good is that little thing, but I have been shocked how well it does to keep the batteries topped up (not charged but maintained). I would say any thing with a battery that sits should have a small solar set-up to compensate for any phantom draw. For the few dollars that it costs it sure is worth it in always having a good/full battery when you need it and not having to always plug in.

This past winter I only had to plug the RV in once as I noticed during a dark and snowy time that the level was starting to drop and I probably was being too cautious as it cleared up a few days later and the solar probably could have caught up.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Bedlam
If the trailer sits where there is available light, consider adding a 5w or 10w solar panel to keep the battery charged. A little panel like this will not charge a battery, but it will maintain the charge that is on the battery.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Try charging it first. If it won't hold a charge, replace it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try charging it?

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it's function is to activate the trailer brakes when the safety cable gets unplugged during an accidental disconnect.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I would replace.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141