cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT scales question

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Would someone please let me know what to expect when I go to a CAT scale to weigh my rig. How much do they charge? Will that charge apply to each axle?, for the complete session to include front axle, rear axle, whole rig, cargo trailer axle?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650
29 REPLIES 29

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I have done. Get the DW to go inside with her cell phone. You can tell her when you are ready to weigh and she can pass the info to the clerk. Most of the speakers are up high for big rigs. If you need to pull up or back up you just tell DW when you want them to weigh again. I also pull off to one side and did mine left and right side only. Again, I just told DW on the phone and she passed the info along that I was ready to be weighed again.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh soo... thanks for clarifying.. heheh...

I'll take a closer look at them, but will just mosey on down to the CAT scales, have one near by and get it that way.

As always B, thanks,

ps. will stick to daylights hrs. heheh...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I issue was where the intercom was compared to my window. They didn't wait for me and caught me off the scales one time, and another time, I think they got me on the pad instead of my seat.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
So Bryan, the state scales will take you, assuming it's not backed up?

If I happen to be running along, come up to the state Scales and see it's pretty open, I could go on just like the "Big Boys" and it won't cause a problem?

Also, if the scales are "Closed" and you drive on, is there an automatic ticket/scale reading thing that you an access or it prints out? Without anyone there?
Nice...
No. The scales that are open, do not drive in there unless it is an emergency. They will not appreciate your presence and often will demonstrate this to you in a; “Wave off.” (I was affiliated with Port of Entry in my home state, thus my knowing this)

My comment is for CLOSED scales.

Most of these closed scales (around the country) are boarded up or closed and the Digital Scale Displays are often turned off. If they are not, such as in Oregon, you are welcome to drive up and use them. In fact the states encourage this to be done, as it is a way of keeping their residents better informed of their actual weights. It is fun to do with your bicycles, motorcycles and cars too! I have never had any printout at these closed scales. I just write them down and keep a record so as to compare this with previous ones. I use to do this with our race trailers and had weights from the different race cars we would carry for different events, around the country.

b

p.s. The "Big Brother" people will worry there is some nefarious thing going on and those that weigh after hours are being recorded and then contacted later if they are overweight. So use the scales at your own risk! :B
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
So Bryan, the state scales will take you, assuming it's not backed up?

If I happen to be running along, come up to the state Scales and see it's pretty open, I could go on just like the "Big Boys" and it won't cause a problem?

Also, if the scales are "Closed" and you drive on, is there an automatic ticket/scale reading thing that you an access or it prints out? Without anyone there?
Nice...
Frank Poole
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
... so I'm guessing here, but trying to get the "Trailer", 7x20' might be a problem? in trying to get a truck camper on all three at the same time?

Maybe not according to the diagramsaccording to the diagrams

Yes. There might be an issue at the "Truck Scales" as the pads are set for semi trucks and trailers. Steer ~ Drive ~ Trailer. As you might imagine there is a considerable distance for the Steer/Drive/Trailer pads. If you coordinate with the Operator (speaker/counter) when you pull forward they can grab the back set of axles and record it for you and have it ready when you go in and get your printed copy. My rig is 48' long so I don't have an issue with getting the split for my rig at one time. But the shorter rigs might need to do as stated before.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
One of the nice things, is that Oregon often has their scales closed, but still open (some other states do this too). When I come across these, I often will make a quick stop or U Turn to go back and weigh. Its free! I like that too. Most truck atlases have these listed where they are.

When I have the time and no one waiting, I have actually split my trailer off and weighed the tongue weight and axles separately. As well as my motorcycle, with me on and off it. Talk about; "a bit of a surprise" with my own personal weight!

Free Places I remember;

Lakeview, OR ~ (US Highway 395)
Marcola, OR~ (State Highway 126)
Sisters, OR ~ (State Highway 126)
Springfield/Marcola, OR. ~ (State Highway 126)
Ashland, OR ~ (State Highway 99)
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what fast replies and great advice. I never even thought there would be more than one pad to drive up on. I think, weather permitting, we will do this tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
... so I'm guessing here, but trying to get the "Trailer", 7x20' might be a problem? in trying to get a truck camper on all three at the same time?

Maybe not according to the diagramsaccording to the diagrams

Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
The local cat scale (near the Port of Oakland) charges based on whether it's certified or not. The certified weights are for the State scales.. if they disagree, and the trucker gets a ticket because he belived he was under-weight from the Cat scale, they pay for the ticket.

There is also 3 pads, not 2. One for the front axle, one for the rear axle, and a 3rd pad for trailer. Just make sure your front axle is on the frond pad, the rear axle on the middle pad, and the trailer (if there is one) on the rear pad.

The form they will give you looks like this:

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, thanks, and I assume if you have a trailer it'd go on #3 or move to a clear one...

Don't suppose they have a Tongue/hitch ball weight device? you could use off on the side?

I've seen those single hydraulic jack look-a-likes, but don't want to spend the some $100+ just to weigh the tongue weight..

(so many fast typers, whatever happened to the "Hunt & Peck" system of typing, heheh)
Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to the scale you can always go in first and talk to the person behind the counter to ask any questions too. Everyone has a first time, don't feel uncomfortable in doing this. Plus, look for the concrete sections as you drive up on them. Split your front axle onto one of these sections and your rear axle on the second axle. If you are pulling a trailer, you can have that weighed separately too. Just coordinate that with the person controlling the scales (at desk or through the speaker)

It is good to weigh your truck without the camper too. That way you might compare the difference with the loaded (full of fuel, propane and water is preferred)

Be prepared to be a bit surprised what the total really comes to, compared to what you might have estimated.

But, for us here, report back what your weights are!

b

(Looks like Downtheroad is a faster typer than me! :B, but still the same message from both of us)
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Varies: $8-$12 for a complete weigh..regardless of number of axles.
Usually $2 for a re-weigh.

For a truck camper..load up trip ready. Put front axle on scale pad #1 and rear wheels on scale pad #2. (there are 2 pads).

They are usually really friendly and if you go inside and play "dumb" they will guide you through the process. I go some time when there isn't a long line of commercial trucks waiting in line.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
$10.50 . Pull up on scale. Talk into speaker. It will give you 3 weights. Go inside and pay. If you want to re weigh it's $2.00.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, curious too..
Just heard of the CAT scalesCAT scales a few weeks ago

Standing by...
Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website