cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Center Console Swap

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found a nice 2015 RAM 3500 that checks all the boxes except for the center console. It is a Big Horn trim, but has one of those folding jump seats in the middle. Folded down, it has three cup holders in the middle. You fold it up, and a person can sit there. Yes - I'm being picky, but I really hate these. Is it possible to remove this and swap in the full console, getting everything to work? Saw some YouTube videos on older model Rams, but was wondering if anyone here has done this or heard of it being done.

Thanks.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
13 REPLIES 13

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that didn't change with the 2014 MY builds? I know the 2017 SLT and up use a dial selector not a floor shifter for the four wheel drive system. The Tradesman still has a floor selector though.

So as long as the truck has the dial selector on the dash and not the floor shifter, you should be able to swap in the bucket seats and full consule.

I know you can do it in the 1500 trucks because we have guys that have done it. The HD trucks are still running the column shifter so you might have to limit yourself to just those trucks? But I would think a full consule and seats form a 1500 would still work though.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
Funny, I am looking for a new SuperDuty.

I like the wide open front of the bench seat.

Hard to find them new that way on anything but the lowest trim levels.

๐Ÿ™‚

I'm with you. I like the ability to carry 6 in a pinch and have used it that way on more than a few occasions. It's actually our fallback spot for our dog when it's too hot or cold for her to be out in the kennel in the bed.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don, how do you handle the manual transfer case shift lever in a swap? The Full Console models only come in higher trim levels with 4x4 knob on the dash.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can do a swap. You should post on a Ram forum like maybe http://www.ramforumz.com/. We have had a few guys meet up and do the swap on the http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/forum.php site.

You can swap with any Ram from 2014 up, just make sure they have the same equipment as you.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Bedlam
I thought the middle seat was so you could put your arm around your lady while she sits next to you?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I have found a nice 2015 RAM 3500 that checks all the boxes except for the center console. It is a Big Horn trim, but has one of those folding jump seats in the middle. Folded down, it has three cup holders in the middle. You fold it up, and a person can sit there. Yes - I'm being picky, but I really hate these. Is it possible to remove this and swap in the full console, getting everything to work? Saw some YouTube videos on older model Rams, but was wondering if anyone here has done this or heard of it being done.

Thanks.

Funny you mentioned that; My Big Horn has the console you want. My friend has basically the same truck but with the jump seat in the front that you don't want. He specifically ordered it that way so he can carry 6 people.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, I am looking for a new SuperDuty.

I like the wide open front of the bench seat.

Hard to find them new that way on anything but the lowest trim levels.

๐Ÿ™‚

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we just got 2017 ram, bucket seats and centre consol
you probably have to switch the entire front seat(s) from the "bench" to buckets
we looked at both types, and I agree the consol with the buckets is much preferable, even better these days with the shifter gone
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Mine has a disc player under the center seat and the storage console/back rest is wired with audio, USB and power connections. I'm not sure if the connecting harness is the same between this configuration and full center console you desire, but the center seat is not tied into the seats on either side.

My truck has bucket seats with the full console and it also has disc player in lower storage and the auto and sub in the upper storage. I would say the wiring harness is the same by how you explain yours.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I did a center console swap on my Avalanche.
The center jump seat came with a folding back that just had cup holders.
Swapped for a Silverado one that had a folding back with a clamshell console. I got it on Ebay.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bedlam
I prefer the manual transfer case shift over the solenoid operated knob. The floor console makes it difficult for a center passenger, but gives me more storage and cup holders - Your bladder will give out before you can drink everything stuffed between the two consoles. Mine is a Tradesman trim without many of the bells and whistles in the higher options.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes - that is the console, but this one doesn't have the shifter that yours has - the floor in the center is empty.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bedlam
Mine has a disc player under the center seat and the storage console/back rest is wired with audio, USB and power connections. I'm not sure if the connecting harness is the same between this configuration and full center console you desire, but the center seat is not tied into the seats on either side.