cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the gears in my suburban

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to change the gears in my suburban (2008 5.3L 4sp auto), but not sure how much of a change to make. I currently have 3.73 gears, and was thinking 4.30 because 4.10 doesn't change much, and 4.56 may be a little too much. I have read many accounts where people thought it was great, some where people wish they had gone more, but never of someone wishing they had not changed anything. Has anyone here changed their gears and regretted the decision? If so why? Anyone think 4.30 is the wrong choice?

Last but not least, just to be clear, I am NOT trying to save on gas by changing gears. I do not plan on ever getting my money back, just trying to give my suburban a little boost in towing power.
55 REPLIES 55

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 26' KZ spree, but it is closer to 30' overall length
Ready to camp:
Steer Axle: 2960lb
Drive Axle: 3700lb
Trailer Axle: 5200lb
Gross Weight (truck+trailer): 11,860lb

All weights are within the specs of the suburban, per my stickers.

I have added a large after-market trans cooler. And I will change the trans filter and fluid in the next month or so.

The Burb is STABLE going down the road, a very enjoyable ride, even when in traffic around semis or during heavy cross winds.

All good comments and I appreciate the conversation. I have thought about getting into the motor, but this is my wife's daily driver and I don't want to do those kinds of modifications (supercharger) for her to drive around and sit in the pick up line at school everyday.

I don't mind the comments to purchase a 3/4 or 1 ton, or even the comments to buy a diesel from time to time. If we stuck strictly to the topic at hand, the discussion wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

I am still shopping for a dedicated tow vehicle, but it is going to have to be just the right vehicle for a good price, those don't come around all that often and sometimes the search could take a while, until that time, I will continue to tow with the suburban.

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
My 4x4 burb has the same gearing ratio with a 5.3. When not towing it runs super strong. Will burn the tires. But, towing isn't real impressive. I'm never going to change gear ratios. I'll live with it till I can buy a dedicated tow vehicle and keep driving this burb to work every day. That's going to be a couple of years away. The good news is that the 5.3 doesn't mind RPMs as much as I do. I do a drain and fill of my transmission at every oil change to keep the Dex6 nice and red. I changed the filter a few months ago. Nevertheless, the burb is adequate for towing. It really depends on what your standards are. Years ago I towed TT's with vehicles that didn't do as good as the burb.

Good boy taking good care of your Burb
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 4x4 burb has the same gearing ratio with a 5.3. When not towing it runs super strong. Will burn the tires. But, towing isn't real impressive. I'm never going to change gear ratios. I'll live with it till I can buy a dedicated tow vehicle and keep driving this burb to work every day. That's going to be a couple of years away. The good news is that the 5.3 doesn't mind RPMs as much as I do. I do a drain and fill of my transmission at every oil change to keep the Dex6 nice and red. I changed the filter a few months ago. Nevertheless, the burb is adequate for towing. It really depends on what your standards are. Years ago I towed TT's with vehicles that didn't do as good as the burb.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Recommending an upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is "offensive" but apparently it's acceptable to recommend an expensive engine overhaul and blower?

The gearing change is relatively easy and inexpensive, especially if the OP can DIY it, but an engine overhaul and blower kit is going to run you SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS if not more.

Even after that expensive overhaul and blower, he still has a 1/2 ton transmission, a 1/2 ton driveshaft, a 1/2 ton rear axle, 1/2 ton springs, 1/2 ton frame. All of that needs to be upgraded to handle the extra power from the blown engine, and he may still need the gearing change after all is said and done.

People consider gear changes because they feel there is a deficiency in their tow vehicle. That deficiency is in power. That deficiency is caused by a heavy trailer, which while it may not exceed any limits on paper, is still a significant load on the truck that could be handled better by a heavier duty truck.

Heck, at page 6 I don't even think we've ever been told what trailer he is towing, or what it weighs! Yet the "Anti-3/4-Ton Police" are here in force shouting down anyone that dares recommend upgrading the whole truck rather than just the axle gear ratio.

But again, it's perfectly fine to tear the engine apart and put a friggin' BLOWER on it?!?!?

Ultimately, it is the OP's choice, and it does not hurt to have all the options laid out on the table. Maybe, just maybe, the OP will see something that he had not considered before?

...but nawwwww, let's just shout down anyone that doesn't answer the OP's questions exactly as asked...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you considered rebuilding your engine? You could install a stroker kit or a supercharger, either of which could dramatically effect your towing performance.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
3.73 is a good overall gear ratio. What you lack is power. Tow in a lower gear when necessary or get something with more power. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Moose

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
There is a potential weakness in the higher numerical gear sets because the pinion gear get pretty small in dia vs the ring gear..

I have read that the reason the GM Dmax only comes with a 3.73 is that in testing, the lower gears would not hold up.
The pinion has less tooth area in contact with the ring gear... That is the issue.

In spite of this, I feel it is a worthwhile mod for some.
It will perform better, and as long as the usage is low, will likely be trouble free. That covers a lot of people.

For those that tow heavy and often.... A half ton will always be just that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it...another learning experience of school of hard knocks...not saying you won't like it...think you will...but it will still be a half ton...

Know from my hard knock PhD's...

My 1973 K5 Blazer was not up to the trailers borrowed from buddies...even though they were in the 18' to 24' range. Short wheel base and that half ton frame...need the whole package to manhandle the situation at that day Mr Murphy cross your path...

Took a few weeks scrounging and another few weeks installing a Dana 60 front (re-arched with positive curve) and GM 14 bolt rear. Up sized all the U-joints, etc, etc to a full 1 ton suspension...but...it was still a half ton frame...

There is a potential weakness in the higher numerical gear sets because the pinion gear get pretty small in dia vs the ring gear...but...it makes up for it with more turns per rev to distribute the torque over the ring gear.

As others have stated...your tire rev's per mile will come into play, as are the other attributes. Tire rev's per mile of OEM vs your 'new' setup will dictate which tranny gear is best for any situation. Do the math as others have listed for each gear of your tranny vs the 'old' and 'new' diff ratio...then decide where you wish to be in any of those situations on engine rev's

Found this one but don't know if it applies to yours...PS...the onboard image function no longer seems to work with just a drag n drop...gotta have an url...

If me, I'd prefer to tow between 3.5K and 5K RPMs with this engine

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is that as you go to higher ratio ring and pinions is that it gets weaker the lower you go...The truck will feel a lot stronger, but will actually be weaker in the ring and pinion area... So The only real fix is a heavier duty axle that will be stronger with lower gears.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I would do to that suburban is call Black Bear and get a tune. With a good cold air intake and a tune you can gain ~20 hp/tq and have modified transmission shift strategies to keep you in gear and lockup longer. Add gears and it would do well....plus you may need a tune for the speedo anyhow if you do gears.

I was towing 7K tall trailer with a 99 Tahoe that I heavily modified (in my sig) and I just realized it could do it but it was working too hard for my driving style. Had to upgrade trucks....still have the Tahoe.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
I think this is a good idea OP. Seems every answer on this forum ends with get a 3/4 Ton. Gets really really old.

Jeremiah
Well some people are slow learners and need to be told more than once.

Others never learn.

Just about everyone here started out with less TV than ideal.

Most of us learned along the way, and no longer do that.

I still have serious doubts about the OPs ability to successfully change his own gears. His knowledge base doesn't seem to be that of someone that has done it, or anything approaching it before.

I appreciate your input. I get it. I needed a HD truck for my previous set up so I bought one. I would just like to see more troubleshooting the issue at hand than for the immediate response of get a 3/4 Ton or 1 ton (unless it’s appropriate, example...most fivers need HD trucks and is a plausible recommendation to up-truck).

There are plenty of HD truck owners on here that have issues with their set up too.

Would swapping gears to 4:10 or 4:30 be an improvement for the OP...yes it would. That answers his question IMHO.

Long term, I think you are right. Most who tow heavy eventually go to a heavy truck...makes sense.

Thanks,
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 97 Doge conv van with 3.55 gears that I swapped out for 3.90 gears. best thing I could've done for that van. the only reason I sold it was because we bought our current trailer. and like I posted previously I swapped out my 3.73 in the X to 4.30`s and again its the best thing I could've done!

There is nothing wrong with swapping gears if you only are looking to get it to perform better.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
If your 2008 Burb still has the 4L60E in it, you probably don't want to re-gear it so it can tow in OD, because the OD gears in those transmissions are reportedly weak, or so I've been told, and read in multiple places such as this site.

Another thing you do NOT want to do is regear and end up turning the same RPMs in OD as you were in direct before the gear change. You've gained nothing from a bunch of work and expense.
Not really.

In fact this can be the best possible swap in many cases. You simply would not us OD when towing, when mileage will be terrible anyways, and have OD available for better MPGs when not towing
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires