cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 RAM 2500 hauling my Arctic Fox.

The AF is a little small inside but with some mods I think it's getting more comfortable.

The problem is, I want to ship it to Europe for some adventures, but it can't be driven anywhere because it's subject to so many issues with emissions over there. I'd be banned from most of Germany, lots of Italy, etc.

Now, I think I have 2 options to fix this situation and the likely similar situations coming to the USA eventually.

1) Buy a gasser to replace the 2500 Cummins

2) Convert the Cummins to an electrical, zero emissions vehicle ( Let's not debate that one, I'd rather keep the diesel but I want to be able to stick my TC in the center of Berlin if I feel like it... That's the advantage of a TC.)

First, what gasser can possibly replace a Ram 2500 with 24v Cummins turbo diesel? It would be nice to have a 3500 so I didn't have to do all the crazy mods to a 2500 that have.been done to mine.

Is it going to completely suck up hills? How about down hills? I use an exhaust brake now. Am I going to have overheating brakes in mountains? Also, what's the lowest emission gasser to be able to replace a Cummins truck?

If I do an electric conversion, can I regenerate through the main electric motor by down shifting? It's a manual transmission. Do they sell aftermarket regenerative brakes? That are heavy duty?
37 REPLIES 37

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
One more thought - if you have money to buy new RV, buying in Europe and shipping to US can save you a bundle on taxes.
There is a timeframe, so not sure if that would work for you, but Mercedes has "European delivery program" for generations, where you can order new car in US, then they will pay for you airfare to Frankfurt, where you can see your car leaving assembly lane, see the MB museum and enjoy few days of driving your car in Europe, before dropping it off at several possible points and then flying back to US. Your new car will arrive to US few weeks later and whole adventure cost several thousad$$ less, than buying new car in US.
The taxes you save by bringing "used car" to US pays for your vacations and still leave something.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Look, youโ€™re probably one of the posters I most respect here and you always know exactly what you're talking about. You have great ideas and solutions to problems. But isn't this just a little aggressive?

Hauling my truck camper "just fine" is a pretty subjective matter"

You're right, the last part was totally tongue in cheek though, should made a smiley with it!

Please don't take offense at a little sarcasm, I apologize. Subjective, yes, but just fine is what I meant. Everything is a bit of a tradeoff and while exhaust brakes are up there with beer in a can for great inventions, they are not in the least mandatory for simply hauling a truck camper down a grade. Even moreso with todays trucks with 6-8-10 gears, great lockup converter programming and other features that basically let the truck do everything for you except steer. What I should have said was, while I'd prefer a diesel, I'd have no issue doing the same TC hauling with a newer gasser except for the gas mileage and the fact that I might actually need to use the brakes going downhill.

Either way, employ the KISS principle. When in Rome.....It's probably better to have a Roman RV!
Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I liken diesel power with exhaust brake to electric power and regen to keep the speed down. I am firmly in the give me a capable electric truck and I will switch from my F450 in a heartbeat. I don't think it's that far in the future.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
In the interest of "buy it there then maybe export it to the USA", does anyone have any links to good online motorhome/camper listings in Europe?

I'm not seeing any.

Any thoughts as to motorhome/caravans that are climate controlled with generator for AC? And not ridiculously tiny?

We do have some European members, so maybe they will come with links to the listings?
Coming to generator and AC, not sure you want them in 240V version.
In Europe you don't have areas with triple Fahrenheit weather day around, while the engine AC does good job for cooling smaller RV.
The Mercedes 6-cylinder engine sips less fuel than Onan generator on propane anyway.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt the conversion of your existing truck is worth it. Get a used 350/3500 (any brand) with the largest v8 and you will do fine. s/b no crazy mods compared to your 2500. You will spend half your travel time doing the conversion and getting it right vs just picking up a gas truck. Then what would you do at the end... put the diesel back?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg has the best solution if you want to stealth RV around Europe. Buy a European RV.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from a 2004 5.9 Cummins Manual to a 2015 6.4 Hemi Auto, same exact truck configuration down to the gearing. The camper I haul is 2,400# wet and loaded. The biggest thing I miss is the exhaust brake, but have never been worried about the brakes without it. Yes it shifts more and yes the RPMs are higher pulling mountain grades, but I still run the same speeds as I did in the past. Fuel cost wise, because diesel has average 18% premium, it's only costing about $100/year more to drive the gasser than what it would have cost to drive the 04 diesel.

For traveling in Europe, try getting hold of SABConsulting. I haven't seen a post from him lately, but maybe he would see notice of a pm. You can check out his trip reports in the sticky.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
In the interest of "buy it there then maybe export it to the USA", does anyone have any links to good online motorhome/camper listings in Europe?

I'm not seeing any.

Any thoughts as to motorhome/caravans that are climate controlled with generator for AC? And not ridiculously tiny?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
4 meters seems to be the standard max height in Europe by the way. My TC is about 3.9 meters.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Stop and make couple steps back.
Sounds like you are planning to spend some money on the idea, so why not change the idea?
ClassC base on Mercedes Sprinters are exported to USA and sold at high premium.
So why not research availability of Sprinters in the country of your destination, use it in Europe, then when you are done on Europe, ship it to USA and sell for potential profit?

Brilliant!

This sounds like the best idea of all, actually.

I'm somewhat concerned though as it's diesels that are the target of the emissions rules over there. Some places only allow electric vehicles. Others, only gassers.

Also, the European RVs have no generators or air conditioning typically. And it was over 100F this summer there. Sounds terrible. I also have breathing problems when the air pollution gets going. I have to be inside a closed, air conditioned environment when this happens or I can't breathe. I realize this is silly because I need to create more pollution to breathe, but it is what it is.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We have sort of looked into rv travel overseas and determined that we would probably rent or buy a vehicle there rather than try and ship our camper. For a two year trip we would either store or sell our current camper here in the US.

Converting your truck to electric is a huge and expensive experiment and would limit you to European charging voltages and charging locations. You will be essentially reinventing the wheel for solar RV travel anywhere. No amount of roof solar would build out a system that is even partially functional and the generator and fuel needed to move the rig would also be extreme, expensive and wasteful.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple from England approached us this weekend out on our coast while we were camping and the wife guessed correctly that the camper could be removed from the truck and still have all the ammenties of a RV.
We talked about caravaning over there and she said bridges would keep them from having a truck camper. They seemed pretty informed about the lifestyle.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Stop and make couple steps back.
Sounds like you are planning to spend some money on the idea, so why not change the idea?
ClassC base on Mercedes Sprinters are exported to USA and sold at high premium.
So why not research availability of Sprinters in the country of your destination, use it in Europe, then when you are done on Europe, ship it to USA and sell for potential profit?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
1) 3500 gasser will work just fine.

2) Rivian would be low cost compared to conversion.

3) Rent a caravan there ready to go. For an extended trip buy used and resell at the end.

Number 3 is your best bet. Everything else is a waste of money.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to put a gasoline engine in, Iโ€™d check to see what conversions are available. Presumably, you could put a Ram gasoline engine, but you may have other options. However, that also means changing the fuel tank, exhaust, etc., and then have it certified or fully understand the certification rules before you do a conversion. I have no idea if EU allows repowering.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member