cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clogged drain, any solution?

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Shower drain clogged. Other drains work fine.
Some times the water in the show tub just go through the next day, sometimes not.
Tried toilet plunger, some water will go when I use it; but the rest will not.
Nothing put into the drain, double filter.
23 REPLIES 23

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It is more than likely hair stopping the drain up. Take a wooden shishkabob stick in the drain and start twisting. You made need multiple sticks to remove all the hair. If that doesn't work, you will need to clean out the trap.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like itโ€™s time to cut an access panel to find out exactly what is there. You should have one, anyway.
If itโ€™s the one way valve type, using a shop vac could damage it. Itโ€™s to stop gases and may not hold up to pressure.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to try the wet or dry shop vac. Alternate between vacuum and blowing till it clears.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with drain cleaners in a shower pan is that the P-trap is below the drain so any of the typical hair clogging isn't in contact with the drain cleaner in the drain pipe.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
So I tried baking soda with white vinegar before, nothing changed.
I bought pipit today, and opened the first filter, tried to put in the zip it; but I can't.
I am not able to see the drain clearly, but sure it's not p-trap. It looks like a metal panel under the pan, a really short distance from the second filter. I am not able to bent the zip it into it.

exintrunk
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I would never use any kind of drain cleaner either at home or on the RV. Go to the hardware store and buy one of those plastic drain claws that has the teeth on it facing backwards. shove it down the drain and move it around and pull out the `stuff'.
Do the same at home.

that works well. you can get them at the dollar store. i have to do all the house drains at least once a year too. you may consider pouring some baking soda in the drain and then follow it with white vinegar. Plunge it a couple times and the resulting chemical reaction should push thru most blockages.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. as a first step I would use the shop vac... hold the nozzle firmly over the drain hole..This will suck out the hair and other stuff from the pipe. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some manufacturers use a waterless trap using some type sealing membrane rather than a P trap. And people have reported having problems. I donโ€™t have them and donโ€™t remember the details. But you probably should make sure what you have before running anything down into it and possibly damaging that membrane.

Something like this

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Zip It. Shower clogs are hair, not grease like a kitchen sink. They work well.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had good luck with the Zip-It tool, but one time I first tried some industrial strength drain opener first, then the Zip-It. The drain cleaner ate the Zip-It, no more drain cleaner for me.

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Might call a plumber.

We do have most tools for clogged drain, from small to big. But just afraid using on a RV drain.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might call a plumber.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I would never use any kind of drain cleaner either at home or on the RV. Go to the hardware store and buy one of those plastic drain claws that has the teeth on it facing backwards. shove it down the drain and move it around and pull out the `stuff'.
Do the same at home.

Thank you!
Will try it tomorrow.

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Pipes and tanks are ABS, PVC or polyethylene that will not be harmed by liquid drain cleaners. Best to let standing water drain out or remove with a wet/dry vacuum before dumping in 1 or 2 quarts of cleaner. If a leak appears it is only because the clog had it sealed up.

But then I have dug out plenty of cotton swabs, plastic razor covers, assorted toy parts etc that will never be cleared with a liquid drain opener. Need to open the pipes for that. In owning rentals for 40 years I have seen lots of stuff that was in a drain pipe that no one would fess up to. It just happens. You should have an access panel.

The hair claw or pliers to grab the obstruction are fine too. Still I would follow up with the liquid.

Probably when I remodel the RV, I will add an access panel.
But it's a brand new one, only bought about half year.
This does happened in the winter time and everything went ok next day; but more serious recently.