cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COACHMEN 17 BH ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I like the floor plan on this unit. What other name is this unit made under? Also does anyone own one and how is the quality? Can a special order give me options like a couch where front bed is and perhaps an overhead bunk there? Any thoughts? Thanks Wondering why I don't ask a dealer? Still in the looking phase and strongly dislike sales folks
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
11 REPLIES 11

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
docnascar wrote:
Are you considering towing this with your 2008 KIA Sedona? Thats likely too much trailer for your mini-van after you add cargo, passengers, propane, battery, etc...

Sure.....

Too bad there are lots of people pulling heavy with Mini-Vans. Few little mods and they work great!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first TT was a 2010 Catalina 20RD. After doing a lot of cabinetry and other mods, I was shocked by what I thought was poor quality workmanship. After reading RV forums a lot for a number of years and after owning another brand, I now know that the overall quality of the Coachmen TT was probably above average.

Three negative things I found are that the construction of cabinets, trim, dinette seating, bed frame, etc. was rather wonky and not very plumb, level, square or straight but this is common in the TT industry. The 2nd was that I didn't think the insulation in the ceiling was all that good because there were numerous voids and the insulation was compressed all over causing the overall R value to drop, but again, this is common in the industry too.

The worst thing that was wrong was the brakes. It took the dealer just over a year to fix them and they had what appears to have been grease in them along with warped drums and a broken spring. They kept telling us it was the brake controller. This problem can happen on any brand though.

The cabinets are put together using pocket screws in the frames of cabinets which is a plus. Many manufacturers just staple everything together. The underbelly is not enclosed/heated and the floor is COLD in cold weather.

The dealer was THE worst thing about the Catalina. Very poor service. Besides not dealing with the brakes PDQ as they should have, they were extremely slow in fixing things and it would sit on their lot for weeks. It took 3 trips into them to just to fix a faulty bathroom door.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one but I would definitely look into the quality of the dealer. I highly recommend going to an RV show and spending lots of time looking carefully at the different makes and models. Look thoroughly inside them (including inside cabinets at construction) and underneath them. Sit down in them and picture yourself cooking, eating, watching TV, etc. Sometimes things can be overlooked and you don't discover things until you start camping in it. Poor locations for TVs are common for ex. Inadequate or poorly laid out storage is another.

Forget about getting a customized order. The plants have routines for doing things and do not like changes. We had some custom changes on our KZ TT, but had to pay a "babysitting" fee of a couple thousand $$ in order to get the foreman and workers to stop in the build process and do something that disrupts their routine. It was highly unusual for them and I don't think they'd do it again.

If you are handy, do modifications yourself. You'll probably end up with something better doing it yourself anyway.

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
No his van I will be fine, I know because mine is towing more trailer.. You WILL need a weight distribution hitch, and 5th gear on the trans is unusable so your looking at around 10mpg, but it will do it and do it safely. I do want to add a good trans cooler to mine, but that's about it.

I have a simular unit, and my main issue was the 8,000 btu AC unit was way under powered to cool the unit. I ended up putting in a 12,000btu unit and it is much better but I had to "customize" my brand new unit which did not make me happy...at all.
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
Are you considering towing this with your 2008 KIA Sedona? Thats likely too much trailer for your mini-van after you add cargo, passengers, propane, battery, etc...
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that the things you'd like added or changed are very unlikely. These are made on an assembly line and there is no provision for special orders other than what the manufacturer may list as "options".
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the other manufacturer you are looking for is Viking.
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

Candie4749
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2011 Catalina 22FB in June and are really pleased with the quality. No problems at all. Now looking for something a little bigger as we will be starting to camp seasonal at a lake resort in April.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Apex has possibilities, however, I was thinking this unit was also made by another brand name, same manugacturer? Anyone know?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Check out: Apex Ultra-Lite 185BH. This is the same floorplan, also made by Coachmen, but better quality, IMO.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Coachmen RV

It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get them to modify the plan as you suggest. You may be able to get someone to do it aftermarket.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have my doubts that they will custom make one of these considering the price and level.
bumpy