cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cold TV's?

96Tony
Explorer
Explorer
A friend had to replace the TV in his 2-year old fifth wheel, and the dealer told him it was because he left the TV in the RV while winter storing it.

Admittedly, he lives in Marquette, MI, but now I'm wondering if I need to bring mine indoors for the winter (the TV, not the RV!).
27 REPLIES 27

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am with the group that has a 6 year old TV in the TT.

In the old days they used to warn about bringing computer from cold to warm because of sweating. But as these days it seem screens are used everywhere, cars, phones, toys, you name it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with most others if we are talking storage. If they were cold sensitive you couldn't get one shipped to your door in the middle of winter. Operating at cold temps is a different scenario versus storage though.

A more likely scenario is that the TV installed in the RV is an off-brand (see also cheap) unit. My trailer came with one and while it looks nice for now, I dont expect it to last. Time will tell...
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Look up the model specs for usage and storage temps.
As usual the salesman does not know.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The cold won't hurt them. Same screens are used in vehicles without issue.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
lcd freeze 2009
LCD cold 2012
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Tvs are shipped all over the country and Canada in unheated trucks. No issues. They are in these below zero conditions for sometimes a week or more. No issues.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Always leave our in, but usually warm up the RV before turning them on.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave my new flat-screens in the DP and TT during the winter in Alaska.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Many more are assembled overseas and travel on ships in shipping containers year round, none of these have heat or a/c.
I agree, let them come to room temp before starting up.

I see many shipments through the year every year that contain television and computer monitors. If there was a problem with cold they would ship in refrigerated containers that keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. These containers are used for food, not electronics.

37 years of experience in railroads and intermodal shipping.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The problem wasn't being a cold RV. He likely turned it on while still cold.
The shipping containers coming from China full of TVs aren't heated. Nor are the trucks taking them to WalMart.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our 32" and 19" LED/LCD TVs have been in our 5th wheel for the past 8 years.

We don't even take them down when traveling.

They get delivered from factory in bulk inside a semi-trailer which is neither heated or cooled

They do need to 'warm' up before being turned on (room temp needs to be raised so TV can warm up to room temp)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
We have one in out TT and one in our TC. Been there since purchased and never brought in for winter, last night it got to -15 as in years past. No problems so far. One was new in 2013 the other in 2000. They seem to survive winters here in Wyoming just fine.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the metro Detroit area and have not had any trouble, even during those same super cold winters 2-3 years ago.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer