cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold Weather Camping - plumbing

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning a trip to the mountains of NC, and the extended forecast is showing lows of 19 to 23, with highs in the mid-40s. This particular CG does not have water and sewer at the RV sites, only electric. They have a fill-up spot for filling your FW tank, and a dump station for when you leave. Our FW tank is inside under the bed, so I'm not worried about the plumbing, though there is always the low point drains which hang down underneath.

I'm more concerned with the BW and GW dump valves. Should I be OK with them exposed, or do I need to wrap them with some type of insulation? I've never camped this cold before, with the lows being only about 25 previously. Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
itguy08 wrote:
fallsrider wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Windshield washer fluid is cheap and wonโ€™t slush up like the pink stuff.

That's interesting. My experience with windshield washer fluid is that on cold mornings, the fluid turns to a glaze of ice as soon as it hits the windshield. What am I missing?

Most of the blue stuff is about 30-35% Methanol. The rest is water. When the alcohol evaporates, the water freezes and that's what you are seeing.

If you dump a few gallons of that stuff in your tank, and the alcohol evaporates out, where does it go? Don't drop a lit butt in there I suppose if your a smoker LOL. May be a pooplosion?

Where are the washer fluid police when needed?

My first instinct is that this is some how wrong. If what you said was true window washer fluid tanks on cars would be exploding all over the place.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
itguy08 wrote:
fallsrider wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

That's interesting. My experience with windshield washer fluid is that on cold mornings, the fluid turns to a glaze of ice as soon as it hits the windshield. What am I missing?

Most of the blue stuff is about 30-35% Methanol. The rest is water. When the alcohol evaporates, the water freezes and that's what you are seeing.

If you dump a few gallons of that stuff in your tank, and the alcohol evaporates out, where does it go? Don't drop a lit butt in there I suppose if your a smoker LOL. May be a pooplosion?

Where are the washer fluid police when needed?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
There isn't much money to be saved by buying washer fluid, like only a $1. Walmart's selling cheap washer fluid for $1.58 while Propylene Glycol antifreeze (the good stuff) is going for $2.58. The advantage to antifreeze is not only can you put it in the tanks and traps, but you can also put it in the lines. It can also be used to replace the water in the toilet to maintain the seal while in storage.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
fallsrider wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

OK, makes sense.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
Blue washer fluid comes in two types that I am aware of... one kind rated to -20 degrees Fahrenheit, and another that freezes at +32 just like water. Walmart sells both. They market it as summer washer fluid. Make sure the one you use says -20 degrees

Got it. My wife and I like the Rain-X washer fluid, so I never pay attention to the blue stuff.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Blue washer fluid comes in two types that I am aware of... one kind rated to -20 degrees Fahrenheit, and another that freezes at +32 just like water. Walmart sells both. They market it as summer washer fluid. Make sure the one you use says -20 degrees
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
A hair dryer will thaw the valve IF it should freeze. If you have to, block the wind from hitting the valves directly. When you use the dump station it will probably be warming up for the day.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
mikebreeze wrote:
I live 1 state north of you and I usually camp once a month all year around. I winterized about 3 weeks ago. In the winter I usually take bottled water in a cooler with me and just use the campground bathroom.

Now, if I wanted to use my fresh water tanks while camping in winter I would wrap all of my exposed pipes with insulation or heat wrap tape.

I will winterize after we return from this trip. Our son and I camp during the winter by taking the freshwater we need in a jug. I'll get through this trip with the antifreeze in the tanks as mentioned earlier, and maybe a little pipe insulation around the low point drains.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fallsrider wrote:
ndrorder wrote:
Dump a half gallon of pink stuff in each tank. Should keep you thawed and juicy until time to dump.
That's a good idea. I'll stop by and pick up a gallon and dump it in the tanks before we leave home.

Buy a couple gallons of the cheap stuff and use it to flush the head?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Dump a half gallon of pink stuff in each tank. Should keep you thawed and juicy until time to dump.
That's a good idea. I'll stop by and pick up a gallon and dump it in the tanks before we leave home.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
I'd get a couple of 5 gal water containers and not use the water system. Done that many times. But that's just me, do you feel lucky?

I would probably be okay with that, but I think my wife would stay home if I made that suggestion!

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I live 1 state north of you and I usually camp once a month all year around. I winterized about 3 weeks ago. In the winter I usually take bottled water in a cooler with me and just use the campground bathroom.

Now, if I wanted to use my fresh water tanks while camping in winter I would wrap all of my exposed pipes with insulation or heat wrap tape.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A