cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coleman Fleetwood 12 volt system problem

bobby-c-michiga
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago I bought a used, 2001 Coleman Fleetwood Niagara folding camper. This spring I am having a problem with the 12V system.

This camper has a kill switch under the folding galley. That switch, when open, disables the over head lighting and plugs.

My 12 volt system that is below the galley - porch light, internally controlled marker light, etc. - is working fine.

Nothing above the galley is working. I tried replacing the kill switch - no help.

I checked, with an ohmmeter, all of the 12V fuses, no help.

I checked the wires that come to the switch, and there is no voltage at that point.

there are two 110V circuit breakers. One controls the converter. It is on, and the converter is getting power.

What can I try next?
13 REPLIES 13

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
And on the sidebar, I think I am both proud and insulted at the same time.

:B 😉
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
"I checked the wires that come to the switch, and there is no voltage at that point."

Apparently there is! Glad you got it figured out.
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
And on the sidebar, I think I am both proud and insulted at the same time.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations onfinding the problem. There is a lot of good knowledge on this forum.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

bobby-c-michiga
Explorer
Explorer
Leaf-Peeper wrote:
Check the connector and wiring that's by the rear/left roof support, it's tucked behind a flap with velcro in the tenting.

THIS WAS THE PROBLEM!!!

Thank you. I hadn't checked that spot. As soon as I climbed up I saw that the connector had come undone, plugged it back in, and... SUCCESS!!

Thank you to all who offered ideas and suggestions.

Happy Camping

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
Techwriter, I think the member status is more about how many posts/replies rather than calendar time. Just get into some lengthy discussions with RoyB, Oldman2, and Bondebond and you'll be a senior member in no time!

the_techwriter
Explorer
Explorer
JLTN_James, Side-bar discussion. Your post shows you as as senior member while mine says new member, yet we both joined in 2009. Do you know what causes this to be displayed? I've checked the account settings and cannot find any way to change this.
2010 Viking 2465 SST PUP
2000 Ford Explorer w/WDH
Me, DW, and Harvey the wonder dog!

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the broken wire/broken connector. The power wires to the roof can easily get pinched and broken when the roof is lowered. If yours is like mine, the connector will be near a corner post and low near the box. Mine is at the left-rear post. I've had to repair it once already.

the_techwriter
Explorer
Explorer
The wires at one of my roof supports are always coming disconnected. They supply 12V to the roof lights and fan. I'll bet Beverley&Ken and Leaf-Peeper hit the nail on the head.
2010 Viking 2465 SST PUP
2000 Ford Explorer w/WDH
Me, DW, and Harvey the wonder dog!

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to have done a good job of pin-pointing the problem. Somewhere between the kill switch and the converter a connection is lost. If the wires are color coded, as in the link below, you should be able to look at the wires on the kill switch and check that that same wire is hot at the converter. If not, it is likely the fuse, or just a connection on the hot side of the fuse - I say this as the other 12v outputs from the converter seem to be working OK. (outside light, water pump, etc.)

Link to Wiring Diagram
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
Check the connector and wiring that's by the rear/left roof support, it's tucked behind a flap with velcro in the tenting.
'05 Chevy Tahoe & ’08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might have a broken wire. Check where it flexes.

PS: the break may be inside the wire and not readily visible.

Check each end with your meter.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Broken ground wire, from the upper level to lower portion of RV? Should be in the same channel as the power wire. Maybe connection at top or bottom, as there would be movement when the roof is raised or lowered.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.