cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Fall 2014

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took our yearly fall trip through our home state of Colorado this year in the third week of September. The aspens were at their best and the weather at that time of year is something to behold.
Our travels took us from our home town of Loveland to Estes Park and then along the Peak to Peak hwy (7 and 72) to Idaho Springs where we joined I70 to Georgetown. At Georgetown we climbed over Guanella Pass to Bailey. We proceeded on Hwy 285 to Fairplay and Hwy 9 to Frisco where we spent the night a Colton Bay Campground on Lake Dillon. The Colton Bay campground has both electric and non electric sites and offers great views of the lake and surrounding mountain ranges.
After a quite cool morning of 30 degrees we joined I70 once again, this time going eastbound to Hwy 40 where we climbed over Berthoud Pass in entered the Grand Valley where we took Hwy 34 to Lake Granby and our destination of Stillwater Campground. Stillwater campground is situated right on the west end of Lake Granby and also offers a beautiful treeless view of the lake and a 360 degree view of all that surrounds you.
We spent two great fall days here and ended each day by watching the great sunsets to the west across the lake. There are many activities to partake in from this location and sightseeing and hiking top the list. It is an easy trip into Grand Lake for dinner or shopping. A trip along the Lake Granby to Arapahoe Bay and Monarch Lake is a great way to spend the day and if you are lucky you may see a moose or two as we did.
Upon leaving this great location we proceeded via hwy 34 over Trail Ridge Road into Estes Park and on to our destination of Loveland.
This year the aspens were as stunning as we have ever seen them in our more than 50 years in Colorado and we will enjoy the memories from this fall trip along with the many others we have taken in our state.
Pictures from our trip:

Click on the picture!
18 REPLIES 18

Bedlam
There has been some friction between RV.net and NATCOA in the past, so I do not know how they feel about advertising this gathering. If I get the Green Light from the Admin or one of the Moderators, I will start a new thread.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
This is good news....the Springs in July should be beautiful. This is the first I've heard of this....is it advertised somewhere else, otherwise it should be added as a new entry!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

Bedlam
This July there is a rally http://www.natcoarally.com/

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a TC rally in Colorado? If there isn't there should be!!!!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice photos.....how lucky we are to have such a beautiful home base. You drove not far from my house along the peak to peak (near Wondervu). Cool choice of routes for the most aspen, the windiest roads, and the most passes. My kind of route!!!!!! Very cool.....
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Bedlam
The gathering in July would accept you. I came from toy haulers to truck campers and never felt excluded.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are some pretty places in that area for sure.
Thanks for the TR.

Wanderin_fool
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 30 minutes away in Woodland Park. It would be nice to stop by and visit with some of you folks!!!
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Arctic Cats
Motorized advocate in Colo. CMTRA, our local club.
www.cmtrail.org come visit!
Other Forums:
Thedieselplace.com ( chevsforever)
KTMtalk.com (xrcrasher)
Pontoonboating.com (Lounge Lizard)
Arcticchat.com (400crasher)

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
mtnman,
Nice pix of your trip. You covered a lot of passes. l like that. Colorado Fall colors are the best anywhere. That's one reason I model the narrow gauge between Rico

and Ridgway

on two days in the life of the railroad: October 1st, 1940 and October 1st, 1950. Thanks for the ride.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
We took the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton the last weekend in September and it was perfect timing for the Aspens turning this year.
We are actually looking to relocate to Ridgway / Montrose / Durango area this year:) We are putting our home in NM on the market in late April and are going to rent around Durango at that time while we decide on a location in CO, very exciting for us. BTW, my daughter starts junior year of college up there next fall, that has a lot to do with our move of course;)
2006 Dodge Quad 2500/4X4/SWB/CTD/Auto
2013 Lance 825
Rancho 9000XLs Firestone Bags
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara Auto 6cyl

Bedlam
The gathering is being held at the Garden of the Gods RV Resort July 22nd-26th:

http://www.natcoarally.com/

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
There's a TC gathering in Colorado Springs this July. We could use some people attending that know the area.

Are they staying at Cheyenne Mountain State Park?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Bedlam
There's a TC gathering in Colorado Springs this July. We could use some people attending that know the area.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
10 more years before I can take that September trip. Oh, to be retired!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point