cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Truck of the Year again!!

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado , Motor trends pick again!! New Camaro got it too !!
54 REPLIES 54

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Just google GM 3.6 and you'll see the problems. Don't even have to put 'timing chain' in the search.
The 3.6 doesn't have to be a truck engine since the new Canyon/Colorado aren't work horse type trucks. Heck I had a Pinto engine in my Ford Ranger that went 198,000 with zero issues.

King27
Explorer
Explorer
I walked away from the Canyon because of the 3.6 engine a few months back. The 2.8 Diesel has generated new interest, but I would prefer either a 4.6 or 5.3 gas engine.

The 3.6 is not a truck engine.
Best Regards, Ted

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
The 4 cylinder and diesel will be nice trucks.

But the 3.6 GM V-6 is an extremely problematic engine--probably worst engine in any U.S. vehicle. The big problem is camshaft chains stretching and causing the engine to jump timing. They have to half disassemble the engine to replace the three chains and sprockets, and it's a $2400 average repair. Unfortunately, GM only warrants these engines 36K miles.

I hadn't heard that before. That's unfortunate.

I'll be interested to see how this thing does in terms of sales versus the Tacoma, which almost seems to have a cult-like following. I've never owned a Tacoma but even I feel like I'd almost gravitate to one by default, just cause they've been so good for so long.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
The 4 cylinder and diesel will be nice trucks.

But the 3.6 GM V-6 is an extremely problematic engine--probably worst engine in any U.S. vehicle. The big problem is camshaft chains stretching and causing the engine to jump timing. They have to half disassemble the engine to replace the three chains and sprockets, and it's a $2400 average repair. Unfortunately, GM only warrants these engines 36K miles.

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan, I believe you are right.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Wow! They are a sweet little truck. No joke about that.

I test drove one of the V6 models in crew cab 4x4โ€ฆ VERY Nice!

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Start of many new Diesels being released

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! They are a sweet little truck. No joke about that.

I test drove one of the V6 models in crew cab 4x4โ€ฆ VERY Nice!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I think Ram got it 2 in a row also.

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
Saw that, it's the second time a truck was awarded two years in a row because of a diesel option.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
It is a good looking truck!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !