cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a Jayflight 29 BHS from 2006 for family of six

pcjackson06
Explorer
Explorer
My family of six (me, wife, 6, 5, 4 and 1 y/olds) are excited about camping. We've been excited about it for awhile and are ready to give it a go. Bought a tow vehicle last year ('16 Yukon XL + tow package). Looking at a used Jayco JayFlight 29 BHS from 2006. It's in immaculate condition, all systems are operational and is inexpensive ($8,000 inspected). Wondering about opinions from similarly sized families on this travel trailer configuration. I'm a little concerned we're going to be crowded, however am balancing that with cost, trial, towing capacity, etc. Thoughts are very much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Dixie_Bushcraft
Explorer
Explorer
The 2005/06 29BHS is prone to water damage.
Mainly due to it being "rush built" during the Katrina "FEMA Trailer Era".

The metal "siding" separates from the roof membrane at the front over the master bedroom.
Be sure to check there, and inspect inside the bedroom cabinets as well as the front storage areas.
Look hard for rusty screws and such.

Also around the TV antenna is a leak prone spot. As well as where they attach the awning. Be sure they did not drive screws into the roofline instead of sidewall.

Make DOUBLE sure the seams have been sealed properly and kept that way for the last 11 years.

I have a HUGE problem with water damage on mine right now due to this.
The leakage never really showed up to visual inspections until it was too late.
The front wall is separating from the sidewalls due to wood swelling and damage.

Now I have to de-construct the front 4 feet of the TT and rebuild .... or maybe just strip it out and build a skoolie from the parts and appliances.
"Life is a Highway.... And all I do is Drive, Drive, Drive."

Introduce youth to the Great Outdoors. Take a kid camping !!!

www.DixieBushcraft.com
Twitter me... @dixiebushcraft
Facebook... www.facebook.com/DixieBushcraft/

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Was the trailer loaded when you were pulling it? If there is not enough weight in he front of the trailer it will sway around and could be dangerous. Many times just redistributing the weight in the trailer will smooth it out. Yes there will always be some movement as you pull it. but it shouldn't feel like the trailer is the one in charge.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pcjackson06
Explorer
Explorer
An update: I bagged it.

Even with a weight distributing hitch and sway control, the anxiety inducing experience of a tractor trailer passing me on route 50 in Maryland at 50mph was enough. The suburban felt like the trailer was driving it. I'm certain a better configuration would have reduced the sway, however I need to invest time into what those options look like. Sigh.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I think it's a great size, you'll have a great time and make some happy memories.
I have a 27BH, a little shorter with no slide and 4 boys. When they were younger 1-8 the oldest took the top bunk, the second oldest took the jacknife sofa, and the two youngest shared the double bed. They were more than happy with that as we were camping. I had it this way because I refused to setup and breakdown the dinette every night.

Fast forward a 10 years and the youngest takes the top bunk, the second youngest the full size, and the second oldest still on the sofa. The oldest at 18 has no interest in camping anymore.

I never really had a space issue except about two years ago when the two youngest suddenly couldn't sleep together. So I let the youngest sleep in the queen with me until the oldest stopped going.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 30' 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge bunkhouse for three years with a 2011 Suburban. Weight matched but driving experience was scary at times. Slightest amount of wind and the trailer would move the Suburban around. We even installed an additional transmission cooler because we were at or above the limit going over mountain passes. We had an equalizer hitch. Needless to say, after we got back home from our third trip to Montana we sold the Suburban and bought a 2014 GMC 3500HD. Some trips the trailer would follow fine behind the Suburban but over mountain passes and windy days it wasn't fun.

As for space, just fine. 2 adults and 4 older kids. 2 daughters shared one of the bunks. My youngest son took the other bunk. My oldest camped with us once ( he was on leave from the Navy ) and took the dinette bed. Our trailer didn't have a slide either. We managed and enjoyed the trailer once it was parked, lol.

Now we have a 2015 Sprindale bunkhouse and only two kids traveling with us. Nice big interior with a large slide for the couch and dinette. Pulls just fine behind the truck.

Check my profile and you'll see the truck and newer trailer--not sure why it doesn't show up in my post.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

dolbsss
Explorer
Explorer
just got a 2017 Jayflight slx 28bhsw. We have a 5 year old, and a 2 year old and plan on having more kid(s). I honestly think the thing is too big but my wife wanted the space. I can sleep in the bunks, and they are both double bunks. If I was you I may look for the bigger bunk beds. Maybe your kids will double up. We chose the layout we got because of the bunk space without it being a separate room, and the side mount TV(max space for less weight). The space in the middle is huge. We also spend way less time in the thing than I anticipated. We set it up and spend the whole day out and about. We sleep in it, and I guess a rainy day will come along.

pcjackson06
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information regarding weight/etc. I am comfortable with the calculations.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the tire / loading sticker (on drivers door) for your Yukon. It will show a max occupant / cargo weight. That is the tow vehicle's capacity to carry combined weight of people, pets, cargo, weight distributing hitch (about 100 lbs), and trailer tongue weight.

On the trailer, look for a decal or sticker showing unloaded weight and cargo capacity of the trailer. The unloaded weight and cargo capacity, added together should equal it's GVWR.

As a norm, you won't load the trailer to it's GVWR, however, the average load of propane, batteries, dishes, pots and pans, bedding, camp chairs, BBQ, groceries, toys for the kiddies, and water will weight about 1000 lbs.

Add that 1000 lbs to the unloaded weight and you'll have a ball park figure for loaded trailer weight. Take loaded trailer weight and multiply by .13. That will be a ball park number for your loaded tongue weight. Keep in mind, tongue weight is not a constant number. It goes up and down during every trip.

Example: Say the loaded weight will be 7000 lbs. (7000*.13= 910 lbs)

The max occupant / cargo weight on the tow vehicle would need to be high enough to carry 910 lbs tongue weight, plus 100 lb hitch, plus the weight of the family, and any cargo carried in or on the tow vehicle.

If you need to shop for different trailers, you can take that same max occupant / cargo number and subtract family weight, subtract WD witch weight, and subtract cargo weight to find the payload available for trailer tongue weight. Divide the available payload by .13, to get loaded trailer weight that would put you close to max weight.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You seem to be close to the limit for your TV but not over. Be judicious about what you carry in the Yukon...as in very little. Otherwise, seems ok! Watch tongue weight as you load up. 60 gallons of fresh water for six people is tight. Fill up whenever possible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad