cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering an HTT. Where do I start my research?

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
(Those that also frequent the PUP forum will notice the cut and paste job I did. Turns out that instead of a PUP, we may be better suited to a HTT, so I'm starting a new thread here.)

The wife has admitted that if we could increase the level of comfort, she'd be willing to go camping more often. Our current set-up is a large tent with air mattresses. I'll admit, even I wake up stiff and sore.

So, we have the room to store a 20-25' foot long trailer on our property, and are budgeting $10-15k. AC and a porta-potty would be nice. Tow vehicle is a 1 ton truck. 3 season camping is our goal, nothing in the winter. We like being out in nature, and don't necessarily want to completely isolate ourselves inside when camping. We also have a 7 year old kid. I'm a big dude, 6' 5", 260lbs.

So: where do we start our research? There seems to be a lot of HTT manufacturers and models out there, and it's challenging, to say the least, wading through options.

Best brands? Must-have options?

Can y'all help a noobie out?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum
54 REPLIES 54

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
I camp a lot at Promised Land State Park.

Man, I love that place. Haven't been there in years. Was the only place I could find in the area where I could camp lakeside.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Going to visit a local place on Thursday that has a few different models in stock. They have some used Roo 23SS models and carry KZ brand new.

They have a 2012 23SS for around 17k, looks nice in pics.

I also see a 2014 23IKSS a few hundred miles away for about 1k more, which is a little confusing. Seems that model has a lot more going for it with dual slide outs and more storage? Wonder why so cheap.

So: how wet do side bunks get when it rains? Seems that is major shot people with TTs take at people with HTTs. Why buy a HTT over a TT?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My picture above was taken at Hickory Run State Park, and I camp a lot at Promised Land State Park.
Promised land weekend sampler.
Pickerel Point full hookups Trout Opener April 20: ambient temps 35/25
Pikerel Point full hookups Bass Opener June 13th: ambient temps 45/40
Beechwood 5 day/4 night July 4th electric: ambient temps 90/48 heavy rain 3.05"/huricane Arthor winds.

Next weekend Knoebels FHU, follow that up with catskills party boondock
August 8th Hershey, aug 22 Ricketts Glen boondock!
October hershey show, Halloween camp at Otter Lake.

October 1st to Jan 11th deer hunting........
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the RV show in Hershey...Plan on staying at least 2 days!

Do a lot of research here on the forums, the wealth of info here is amazing.

Barb
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
23b does not work for me due to low ride height and low CCC.
I have a sloped driveway and have to directly overlook certian models, and specificly look for CCC stickers that can handle full tank weight and mininum 1,000lb for family junk.

You will encounter higher site dump vavles, gas station ramps, and other too steep approaches that severly impact low ride height trailers.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I do not recommend my model to you since you are 6.5.

Be sure to check ceiling heights before going to look for used models. In additon, my beds are shorter due to its narrow body design.
I tow it with a k2500 burb, and do not feel it back there.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco is probably the biggest so look over their models, go to their website, look under travel trailers. Gets a bit convoluted at that point as they have hybrids in several model lines. For a start go to the Jay Feather Ultralight and look at the X17Z. What you see is a hybrid with 2 bunks. Look for models with those to be in a hybrid. Find a local dealer or 2, call them and see what models of hybrids, if any, they have on hand and go take a ride. Ignore the model # as an indicator of the length of the unit, check the specs instead. Also check out the Rockwood Roos, they have 80" beds and some very large/nice layouts in the sub 25' length. I don't know if anyone makes a hybrid over 25'!
With a 1 ton you can pull any of them, most roomy are the ones with a slide of some sort, makes a big difference. There being 3 of you you can go with a 2 bunk, DO find an 8' wide model and check the bed sizes, many of the smaller trailers have what they call RV queen beds, they are usually 75 or 76" beds and won't work for tall folks. Make sure you look for the 80", also check the interior height, keep in mind the air conditioners hang down a couple inches. Other then that I just made sure that when sitting on the throne I could close the door.

Something like the X23B may work, lots of room, under 25', the beds are a tad small at 78". The U dinettes make a big difference too in seating comfort on rainy days. The couches are for the most part fairly cheap. As far as your price range, I have no idea, been a long time since I looked.

You can also check out RVdirect.com, probably the best prices around if you don't mind driving to Albany or Buffalo to get your trailer. They carry Rockwood Roo's (Forest River Product) as well as the Jayco's, both good brands. Once you pick out a model you can get a quote from them and use it to dicker locally if you prefer. Many have used rvdirect with good results.

If you're not aware, unless you have a diesel, gas mileage is down around 10mpg with any of them.

Good Luck
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

I camp weekends Aril thru October, use it for hunting trips, amusement parks, and off the grid parties in the Catskills.
I paid $10,000 back in 2011. I added super high wind pupop gizmos, 12 volt HD tv/dvd, memory foam mattress toppers, flojet macerator pump, 25 gallon gray black tank, yamaha 2000w generator, additional fresh water storage, and turned it into an off the grid glamper. Additional

mods pending: LED lights, battery banks, converter upgrade.
Reason for dragging feet: not too much true off the grid camping in Northeast PA. I live in the Poconos where you can hunt, fish,boat, canoe, ski, hike, gamble, and not have to travel or camp per se.

I bring mt bikes, canoe, strollers, ect when I weekend camp.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
forest river or jayco/starcraft and forget the rest.
23 foot superslide
14" tire minimun
look for atleast 1500lb ccc, ignore the lessor.

electrician549
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe wait unti the fall Hershey show so that you can get a look at all the different options by manufacturers that are out there and even if new is out of your price range you still might find what to look for in the used market.