cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter Questions

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Well the WFCO died on our thanksgiving trip.

I have since purchased a PD4655. During the 3 week install in the cold and dark by flashlight, I have determined that there is no output from the unit when powered up. I checked by putting the multi meter on the converther output wires on the 12v distribution panel. The battery is at 7.2v now.

I also removed the unit and wired it into a 110v plug. Same results. The seller (not dealer) says Im just hooking it up backwards. PD Tech says if its hooked up in reverse that it blows 30a fuses.

Am I missing somthing here?

I noticed on the distribution panel there is a led. Is that a power on light or does it work with the charge wizard.

One more quickie to ask....

Do i need to get the Charge Wizard Pendant or does the pd4655 function without it?
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500
12 REPLIES 12

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JESTER7406 wrote:
After extensive troubleshooting (pretty much the same thing over and over), I decided to send the unit back for a refund hopefully.

I purchased the item off ebay for a great deal (if it had worked). The seller offered to pay shipping both ways and repair unit but looking at all of the stuff they have for sale I am not sure of their abilities. Not to say that they arent an expert but that wasnt the vibe I got from emails.

So needless to say, the RV doesnt have functioning elec system right now and Im in the market for a new lower unit.

I did the same PD 4655 in our old Class C and loved it. So I am now shopping for another one.

Easy for someone else (in this case me!) to spend your money but when electronics are involved it seems to me it's worth whatever the extra cost may be to just buy a brand new unit from a reputable vendor such as Best Converter which is staffed by people who do know what they're doing. Sure would have saved all this fussing around and you'd now be up and running. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Keep us posted!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Heres the outcome.

After extensive troubleshooting (pretty much the same thing over and over), I decided to send the unit back for a refund hopefully.

I purchased the item off ebay for a great deal (if it had worked). The seller offered to pay shipping both ways and repair unit but looking at all of the stuff they have for sale I am not sure of their abilities. Not to say that they arent an expert but that wasnt the vibe I got from emails.

So needless to say, the RV doesnt have functioning elec system right now and Im in the market for a new lower unit.

I did the same PD 4655 in our old Class C and loved it. So I am now shopping for another one.

Thanks again for all the help. Merry Christmas!
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Battery is good but discharged. I ran furnace untill it got to 10v then had the lights on for a bit. These things are hard to work on in the cold and dark. Ha!

I removed unit and have it boxed up for return. I will hopefully have a new unit by new years. Thank you everyone for the help and have a Merry Christmas!
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Surely has to be a defective converter.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Battery at 7.2V is a deceased battery, probably has two cells open.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check for voltage where the reverse polarity fuses plug in to unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
I checked fuses visually and with continuity.

I was measuring at both battery and at the converter output wires of the unit. It wires into the 12v distrubution panel next to the battery wires.

Sounds like I got a bad one out of the box. Just making sure I didint miss somthing before I pay the $20 for return shipping.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with tusonjim. 🙂
Did you check for 12 volts at the Progressive unit, could be a wiring problem between the Progressive unit and the original distribution panel?
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you have it properly connected to 120VAC, and have confirmed that you have AC power to the input of the unit, you should have 12VDC at the output. If you don't have 12VDC, and the two reverse polarity fuses measure good (Don't rely on visual confirmation), then the unit is defective.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are both good.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The charge Wizard is built in.
Have you tested or replaced the reverse polarity fuses?
PD4600 manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow