Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter replacement

lajefz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
My old converter is giving up the ghost...it stopped charging awhile ago and I added a simple car charger to charge the battery. Now it is having an issue switching over to 12v when the 110v is disconnected. I'm told its time to replace it and have been looking at models. Mine has the original converter which has the external ground. It has a + and - battery input, also it has 'converter 12v output'. So I have three wires running to the main panel. Problem is the new ones only have a + and - post. So I am not sure how to properly wire the new one in. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Not all converters are the same type so photo or a description would be nice to see.

:h

Mine is "deck mounted" and this is what it looks like:

99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
lajefz wrote:
I do have an ac circuit breaker I also have a fuse panel for the dc battery seems to run to one side of the converter and when the ac is diconnected the 12v wire on the other side becomes hot. Problem is the relay inside is failing and sometimes that wire doesn't get juice. Planning on taking the new converter and wiring the positive from the battery to the converter post along with the wire from the other side of the old converter, hopefully this solves my problems without shorting anything out.
Talk with Randy at Best Converter. He will help you sort it out.

lajefz
Explorer
Explorer
I do have an ac circuit breaker I also have a fuse panel for the dc battery seems to run to one side of the converter and when the ac is diconnected the 12v wire on the other side becomes hot. Problem is the relay inside is failing and sometimes that wire doesn't get juice. Planning on taking the new converter and wiring the positive from the battery to the converter post along with the wire from the other side of the old converter, hopefully this solves my problems without shorting anything out.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My Magnateck was getting "weak" according to my motorhome dealer mechanic, and he reccomended a Parallax 55 Amp replacement. $207 on the 'net, got it in a few days and installed it without any problems.
I was amazed at the "evolution" of these things..,.the old one was huge and very heavy, The new one...small and featherweight. Instead of using screws to hold it down, I used a velcro strip. It is that light. Works just fine.

g'luck with yours....

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This dinosaur thing?

You might be better to just replace with a new panel.

Do you have a 120v panel? Most now are a combo unit like this surface mount from Progressive Dynamics:

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
As smkettner credited, I think www.bestconverter.com will be your most advantageous call. Should be a relatively simple swap-out.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE

lajefz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, went and looked in the RV, says its a Newmark product. DCV 30 R-A-C

Guess that is what the answer I was looking for, that it IS safe to connect the battery lead along with the one listed 'converter 12v' together on the new converter + post.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you have a parallax 6300. It uses the battery as a filter for some items so there are two supply wires with one going to the panel and the other to the battery. These end up getting connected together as one with a modern converter that does not need a filter.

Here is a link with pictures
This is a 7300 tutorial with additional instructions at the bottom for the 6300.

Credit to www.bestconverter.com

lajefz
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it would be a simple swap out until I looked at the new diagram. Mine seems to run the battery wiring into the converter while the new ones seem to just run two wires to the DC panel. Was wondering if I should place the + from the battery into the converter + port along with the wire that now runs out from the old converter labeled "converter 12V" ?

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove just the converter part (4 screws if it is a Magnatek) and wire an inverter/charger into your existing circuits. I just finished the job, and I'm happy with the results - batteries last longer and charge quicker. (I started a thread here), Don't make the same bone-headed mistakes I did :).

If you don't want to go with the inverter/charger plan of attack, I recommend replacing the unit with a Progressive Dynamics unit, which is a smarter charger, but still a converter. Many threads on this topic, including tutorials, etc.

The first step is determine your model number and proceed from there. There are dozens of youtube videos on the subject.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE