cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from traditional aluminum siding to smooth skins?

Mr4btTahoe
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forums...

I just picked up a '97 Sun-Lite 865 for cheap that needs a lot of work... Roof is completely gone and has some wall rot.

The exterior siding is going to have to come off for the repairs (siding is in great shape).

While it's off, I was considering converting to smooth exterior skins like the modern expedition style campers.

Has anyone tried this?

The only problems I can see coming up is the need for the camper to flex and move while in motion.. and smooth hard sides glued in place will make the whole thing rigid.

If anyone has attempted this and has any input.. please post up. Post up pictures too if you can.

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing "labor of love" in my life few times and when I admire people devoted to hobby, that doesn't make much economical sense.
Don't know how much experience you have, but assuming you have the skills, I would use the appliances from the camper and really build one from scratches. what will allow you to build it right, not "build to leak" like factory units are and you will get your favorite floor plan.
Ask any remodeling contractor, that fixing rotten frame always cost more, that building new one.
I like the floor plan of my single slide Fleetwood, but would love to have side door with less steps.
I researched the market and scratching the $60,000 new units off, such animal doesn't exist, so building my own, with the experience I have, I sure would avoid lot of poor designs you see on the market.

Mr4btTahoe
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. By flex.. I mainly mean expansion/contraction

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can't post links *TO* photobucket but you should be able to embed images from photobucket.

Go display your photobucket image, right click on it and select "copy image location" then come back here and paste that image location between a set of image tags.

BTW, your camper shouldn't be flexing that much. If it is that means your truck is flexing that much too, and you've buckled every body panel on it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Mr4btTahoe
Explorer
Explorer
Cant use photobucket? I've got everything on there and it would be somewhat of a hassle to transfer it around.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Posting images is easy. Just go to THIS SITE and drag n' drop the file (or browse to it) and then copy and paste the resulting string into your reply text wordage.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Mr4btTahoe
Explorer
Explorer
Well.. main reason for buying this unit was because I was planning on building one from scratch.. and this unit has all of the appliances, power jacks, awning, heat, ac, shower, toilet, fridge, stove, all plumbing is new along with pump, tanks, etc.. all in good shape. I got it for less then the cost of a couple appliances from what I was pricing out.

The work involved doesn't scare me by any means... I can strip it down to the frame and rebuild from the bottom up if need be (which I don't think will be the case). The jack points are all solid. The cab over bunk area seems solid. The main rot is where the roof meets the walls and the roof itself. To be certain I don't overlook anything.. I was just going to strip all the siding so I can see the entire frame and replace anything that needs it.

I'm not in it for much coin.. and it came with the majority of the materials to re-frame the entire unit if need be. The guy just lost interest as his work schedule just wasn't allowing him time to work on it.

Here are some pictures.. yes it's ROUGH on the inside.. but that's ok.

Now the bad...

A lot of what I'm seeing in the walls is wet.. but not rotten. The only rot I'm seeing is up by the top. The whole roof will come off and be rebuilt from scratch.

So anyways... I just figured it would be a safe bet to strip the siding and make sure nothing is missed. I don't mind the work and have a lot of experience in light fabrication and wood working. I should be in it for less then half it's value when done.. and that includes purchase price.

Thanks for the quick responses.

-EDIT-... apparently I cant post links to photobucket? See if this works...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There is long pictorial when one of the member had his camper rebuild at his local RV shop.
The procedure is not cost-efficient and gluing big panels to the frame is a job require several people.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing is impossible with enough time, money and determination, but... from what you describe, should you reassess and reconsider the work ahead of you?

I have done my fair share of cab-over nose repair and while it was a descent amount of work, I do not think it was as extensive as you describe... just saying.

if the siding is in decent shape as you state, can portions of that work be performed from the inside?

Pictures of what you are up against will help us help you... post some up so members can better assist you.

(not trying to dissuade you, but rather posting basing on just your words alone.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.